Texas Fishing Forum

Best set up for worm/flipping etc.

Posted By: Texjef84

Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 01:41 PM

Want to buy a new combo to fish worms and primarily for pitching/flipping. Priority one is the best rod with the sensitivity and backbone required for this purpose, second is the reel. This is my favorite way to fish so I'm willing to spend some money on it.
Posted By: Dillon Y'Barbo

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 01:49 PM

Depending on what you are flipping like shallow wood/cover check out the Power Tackle PG-104 its a 7'6" MH rod with a parabolic bend to it and has plenty of backbone to do anything like flipping shallow cover, carloina rigs, big worms, mag spoons, and big 1oz spinnerbaits. If you are looking to flip heavy cover like thick hydrilla, hyacinth, or anything that is matted you are looking for the Power Tackle PG-104.5 it is a 7'6" H also with a parabolic bend as well but has all the backbone you need to do anything like that. Pair either of those 2 rods with a Shimano Chronarch Ci4 in the 7:6 gear ratio or the shimano metanium HG in the 8 gear ratio and there wont be a combo out there any better....I Promise you. Contact Mrs. Judy Reneau and tell her Dillon sent you...she will hook you up! (830) 734-2021 These rods are also built and tested in Del Rio, TX
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 01:52 PM

Black Omens are good from what I hear for the money. And Lews is a great option since you will be flipping. You'll need to get that thing back in a hurry.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 02:45 PM

I just bought two new great combos, that in my eyes are very hard to beat. First is a G Loomis NRX 853c jwr with a Shimano Aldebaran 50 hg, probably the lightest most sensitive combo out there. Second is a G Loomis NRX 894c jwr with a Shimano Metanium XG. I can feel a minnow fart twenty yards away with either rod.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
I just bought two new great combos, that in my eyes are very hard to beat. First is a G Loomis NRX 853c jwr with a Shimano Aldebaran 50 hg, probably the lightest most sensitive combo out there. Second is a G Loomis NRX 894c jwr with a Shimano Metanium XG. I can feel a minnow fart twenty yards away with either rod.

What does a minnow fart feel like?
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

Hahahahaha
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

Kinda like a little "bloop" haha
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 04:01 PM

I can feel a minnow fart twenty yards away with either rod.

Line of the year right here. Hands down
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 04:09 PM

I'm currently using a G.Loomis NRX JWR 854 with a Curado E51. I am astounded at the sensitivity and power of this rod. I also have an IMX JWR 854 and the NRX rod is more sensitive with mono than the IMX is with braid, The IMX ain't no slouch in the sensitivity department either.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 04:11 PM

G. Loomis NRX

I've been using the 895C for about 3 months now and I'm absolutely stunned on how well this rod performs. People always ask me "but can you really tell a difference between an NRX and any $300-$400 rod?" I tell them "try it yourself." There really is a difference, a very noticeable difference at that. The sensitivity of these rods is unmatched. I've been putting through the ringer and it's held up just fine with breaks, scratches, or anything. I'm very happy that I spent the money to get this rod.

Shimano Metanium

I use the Metanium XG and I love it. They have 3 different gear ratios (6.2:1, 7.4:1, 8.5:1) but I use the 8.5:1 because it picks up line really fast. It's great if you love to flip deep docks, like I do. When you notice a fish swimming with your line and you need to reel in fast and get em' over those crossbeams, this high speed gear ratio really comes in handy. Not to mention that this reel feels solid, but it's also really lightweight. It's been an awesome reel for me.
Posted By: Tisdale

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 04:27 PM

check out these rods. custombassrods.com I have a friend that uses the Sling Blade for flipping/punching. I'm about to order the Sling Blade with a Lew's Supper Duty.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 04:59 PM

That PowerTackle is a good rod. I use a Falcon Cara Amistad that works really well. I have it paired with Revo STX. I use flouro on this setup because I use it for multiple techniques. I will throw footballs, big shaky head worms as well as pitchin and flippin with it. Although I have never done it the setup would probably work good on medium size swimbaits. This is a very versatile setup for me without changing anything but bait.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 06:01 PM

Dobyns Champ 734 and whatever reel you like. Revo STX for me. Very sensitive set up. Sensitive/light rod is more important for worms(plastics) or jigs than any other technique to me. "Tap-tap"
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 06:39 PM

Reel time rods makes an outstanding worm rod. Can't beat their warranty. They also custom build if you want something to your demands.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dillon Y'Barbo
Depending on what you are flipping like shallow wood/cover check out the Power Tackle PG-104 its a 7'6" MH rod with a parabolic bend to it and has plenty of backbone to do anything like flipping shallow cover, carloina rigs, big worms, mag spoons, and big 1oz spinnerbaits. If you are looking to flip heavy cover like thick hydrilla, hyacinth, or anything that is matted you are looking for the Power Tackle PG-104.5 it is a 7'6" H also with a parabolic bend as well but has all the backbone you need to do anything like that. Pair either of those 2 rods with a Shimano Chronarch Ci4 in the 7:6 gear ratio or the shimano metanium HG in the 8 gear ratio and there wont be a combo out there any better....I Promise you. Contact Mrs. Judy Reneau and tell her Dillon sent you...she will hook you up! (830) 734-2021 These rods are also built and tested in Del Rio, TX
+1 Couldnt ask for a better rod or person to deal with.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Dobyns Champ 734 and whatever reel you like. Revo STX for me for me. Very sensitive set up. Sensitive/light rod is more important for worms(plastics) or jigs than any other technique to me. "Tap-tap"

this or a 735/765Flip are hard to beat really just depends on how heavy of cover you are fishing.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 08:10 PM

G.Loomis NRX 7'-6"ish medium heavy with a fast tip... Revo rocket for the reel...

powertackle are great too
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/30/15 10:36 PM

I alternate between a G. Loomis NRX 854C & Kistler Z Bone 4 power (7'3"). They both have Daiwa Steez with SV spools.
Posted By: Texjef84

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/31/15 12:28 AM

Great stuff, now to start doing a little research and shop. I know I'll be pleased with any of these
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/31/15 12:50 AM

Txjef84, what is your normal pitching distance, density and types of flooded cover? Plus average weight of fish?

My favorite worm rod is a GLoomis MBR 844C, 7' IMX. I use this rod for casting and pitching at moderate distances where max backbone isn't needed.

The PowerTackle PG 104 and 104.5 get ALL the heavy duty work. Especially up close. Even with 80# braid and 5-? lb fish.

Honorable mention - Duckett White Ice - 7' 9". XH action with mod-fast tip. And only $200.

I didn't include reels. A Shimano Curado or Daiwa Tatula should be all u need to complete a badazz outfit. Both around $200, I think.

When in doubt, buy the better rod. Complete opposite of rifles. There are ~ 20 US factory rifles that will hit a gnat's azz at 100-1,000 yds, consistently. There MAY be 5 scope makers who can claim that distinction.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Best set up for worm/flipping etc. - 12/31/15 12:51 AM

For the reel I bought a revo rocket a few weeks ago I like it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum