Texas Fishing Forum

Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder

Posted By: RedShadWorm

Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/29/15 01:22 AM

Any recommendations for a rod in the $100 area for my father-in-law.

He's a good fisherman that won a boat on Toledo Bend back many years ago.

Here is the catch. 73 years old now, with rotator cuff surgery. Need something with a really whippy tip so he can get some distance with the shoulder. Something light is weight would be helpful as well.

I bought him a Revo S and a Veritas rod for Christmas but the rod is too stiff for him to use effectively. Rod will be paired with the Revo.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/29/15 01:29 AM

Falcon Bucoo or even better a Lowrider if you can go 150.00
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/29/15 01:33 AM

Falcon Bucoo

Definitely go with this one! I'd say a medium-heavy or a medium will him well. These rods are freakishly light and sensitive. For the price, there isn't a better rod on the market. They hold up well too. There's also tons of different models to choose from and I know you'll be able to find something he can use.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/29/15 01:55 AM

Pm sent
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/29/15 01:56 AM

If you can go to $150, you'll be really glad you did. These rods are not only sensitive as hell, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lighter rod for the price. The 7'3 M has a VERY whippy tip on it. These rods are the 1st ones I've ever come across that I would ever buy over a Falcon in the same price range.

http://www.tforods.com/conventional-rods/gary-loomis-tactical-series/bass-rods.html#.VoHnrPkrKUk
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/30/15 12:31 AM

In addition to the rods mentioned above, he should consider casting side arm. Worked great for me while a rotator cuff injury healed. Good luck!
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/30/15 02:51 AM

Does he fish a lake with heavy cover/grass, or fairly open water where a spinning outfit would work?
Posted By: RedShadWorm

Re: Rod for Father in Law - bad shoulder - 12/30/15 02:57 AM

Some really good feedback here. I appreciate it. I think I will go with the TFO. I really appreciate all of the insights.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum