Texas Fishing Forum

teach an old dog a new trick !

Posted By: kevine80

teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/28/15 04:07 AM

the gaining of knowledge is essential!
i know that i need to move into the technology age
considering hds 12 or helix 10 si
which do you prefer for making this transition ?
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/28/15 04:21 AM

Hds12 by far easier graph to manipulate. Humminbird is also a winner. But I would get a helix 12 since it's closer to the hds12 in price.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/28/15 04:31 AM

correction --hds 10 ------do you think the 12s are worth the difference ?
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/30/15 12:25 AM

Yes
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/30/15 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Hds12 by far easier graph to manipulate. Humminbird is also a winner. But I would get a helix 12 since it's closer to the hds12 in price.

The Lowrance is easier to manipulate if you are familiar with the Lowrance menus. They are a nightmare for those that have no marine electronics experience and the Humminbird is easier to learn from the start.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/30/15 01:08 AM

I had zero marine electronics experience and gained confidence evertytime I went on the water. I bought two gen 2 12 touches and absolutely love em. Go with your gut and get the biggest you can get. Bury yourself with information online wether it's you tube or articles then hit the lake as much as you can and put your time in and you'll quickly gain confidence in your electronics. Don't be afraid to toggle things off and on and experiment with your graphs. I got my units back in July and feel like I have a pretty good handle on them. I'm not trying to beat my chest here at all. I'm just saying if a dummy like me can do it anyone can do it. You just have to take the plunge and submerse yourself in it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: teach an old dog a new trick ! - 12/30/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

The Lowrance is easier to manipulate if you are familiar with the Lowrance menus. They are a nightmare for those that have no marine electronics experience and the Humminbird is easier to learn from the start.

I do not have experience with anything other than a 1199. But it is hard to adjust settings (sensitivinty, contrast, ect). It's also hard to switch panel selection. Lowrance has the easy buttons. I find this easier. Takes less time. The hummingbirds downfall is not being able to back track. Once it is off the screen, it's gone. Anything from a freeze to current is also lost unlike Lowrance. They are good units tho. Having the advance settings makes things easier for some. Ford Chevy dodge. But the hds12 gen2 is worth the price different. I love the 10s but they are on a downhill trend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum