Texas Fishing Forum

huddelston tips

Posted By: wootersbassin

huddelston tips - 12/26/15 01:13 AM

I just got a swimbait rod and huddleston rod for Christmas. I have never used big swimbait and I was wondering if anyone who uses these baits more often would be willing to share some tips or tricks
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 01:16 AM

You should check out tactical basing on YouTube with Matt Allen and Tim little. They fish clear lake out in California. Those guys are know for throwing huge swim baits. And catching some toads!!

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 02:52 AM

thks
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 02:54 AM

Make long casts and fish the bait in the strike zone for as long as possible. You are going to lose some baits so prepare yourself. If you fish around wood put that bait in there and practice popping it out of hang ups. Get a lure retriever. It will pay for itself after the first save. Just be prepared to make hundreds and hundreds of casts without a bite. It's just like any other bait. You have to throw it where those big girls live and stick with it. The big bite will come.

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 03:37 AM

thanks wes
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 03:46 AM

Also check out Butch Brown and Mike Long on Youtube; they are big swimbait legends. Fish slow, then slow it down some more. What I keep hearing from the experts: It's next to impossible to fish them too slow. You're going to need the right (heavy duty) reel to throw big baits. You will blow up good "normal" baitcasting gear with the large baits. I sacrificed a reel before I believed that when I was told.

BTW, I feel that a "follow" can bring a feeling of some level of accomplishment. Seeing a huge shadow lurking behind your bait or even getting a good sighting of a DD fish who's showing interest can make one's heart go pitter-patter quite readily!
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 04:21 AM

With swimbaits you will get a lot of followers. Nose of the fish right at the tail of your bait. I've found that the Pro-cure Shad scent really helps them commit. Fish the bait so slow, that every half crank, you feel the tail kick. (This is with a Hudd 68 special) This is with a 5:1 reel. The bites will be violent!!!! Nothing like a swimbait bite. Some days I will go all day without a bite, trophy hunting for that one bite. Some days you will catch 5-10 solid 7+ lb fish. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 04:24 AM

thanks guys
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: huddelston tips - 12/26/15 02:47 PM

Youtube Butch Brown and see how he rigs the Hudd.

Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum