Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Sleeves

Posted By: Mulkey

Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 06:14 PM

In your opinion, which rod sleeve on the market is the best one?
Posted By: Amac88

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 06:23 PM

Elite Rod Sleeves. Made in US, guides do not pop through sleeve, convenient label tag, durable mesh and protective tip, great colors to choose from. Casting, Spinning and Micro Guide Sleeves. Elite also makes a travel strap that is good for co-anglers, and hauling multiple rods in a vehicle. Best of all, excellent ownership.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 06:24 PM

Rod Sox. If they don't have the rubberized coating on the reel end of the cover, they're worthless.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 07:03 PM

I really like The Rod Condom . Darin is great guy, a veteran and his product is made in Texas...good prices and fast shipping too.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 07:25 PM

Rod Armorz is by far the best rod sleeve. I have zero affiliation with them. I spend my money on them because they are that much better. The rubber end is worth it! When I can pull a rod from my basscat rod box after running 3' waves and not spend 5 minutes aggravated because my Rayburn red trap is hung in a sock, its worth the money!
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 07:38 PM

Angler Innovations Rod glove. It's neoprene and has a built in reel cover. About $20.00 each.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 07:42 PM

Rod Armorz. The rubber coating at the bottom is priceless. Available in all kinds of color and lengths and they are priced right.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SRitchey
I really like The Rod Condom . Darin is great guy, a veteran and his product is made in Texas...good prices and fast shipping too.

YEPPERS !!!!! banana
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:29 PM

+1. I like the protected tip on it and also the option for the strap around the reel that keeps them on at speed.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Rod Sox. If they don't have the rubberized coating on the reel end of the cover, they're worthless.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

I like the older version with the soft dipped ends, not the newer ones with the hard plastic
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:34 PM

^^^^^^

Agree
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:36 PM

They have to have dipped ends or they are junk. I also like them shorter than needed. To keep them as far from treble hooks as possible.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 08:49 PM

I will go along with Rod Condom they are the best I have ever used.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 09:19 PM

Rod Condom.....made by a veteran and LEO.....good product and a good guy....new link in my signature
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 09:23 PM

Easily the best cover AND the best prices. I'll never use another cover if I have a choice.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/22/15 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
They have to have dipped ends or they are junk. I also like them shorter than needed. To keep them as far from treble hooks as possible.

I agree, I have a couple that I have to roll up so they don't get that treble
Posted By: hunterfishes

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/23/15 03:12 PM

VRX fishing products ROD GLOVE both versions the woven one or the neoprene work outstanding in the rod boxes with sleeves built into them.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/23/15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Rod Armorz. The rubber coating at the bottom is priceless. Available in all kinds of color and lengths and they are priced right.

thumb
Rod ArmorZ have a tighter compression and better filament fabric to keep them from flying off when you are traveling, but still very easy to slide off. With the dipped end and USA Made they are a great value!!
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/23/15 04:00 PM

Not sure if they fixed this but if your bait is a plastic (worm, craw, etc.)it will melt that rubber coating and get all over the rod, reel, hands. May be certain plastics with salt or oil that it does it with. For those sleeves I fold the rubberized part up.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/23/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: GoArmy

Not sure if they fixed this but if your bait is a plastic (worm, craw, etc.)it will melt that rubber coating and get all over the rod, reel, hands. May be certain plastics with salt or oil that it does it with. For those sleeves I fold the rubberized part up.

If your sox are long enough to get down to the hook area on the rod, then they are too long. Nothing worse than trying to dig a DD22 out of three different rod socks in the bottom of the rod locker.

I always get them shorter than their posted use lengths. All they need to do is come down to the last eye on the rod.
Posted By: Blowing Up Skirts

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 12:53 AM

Rod Armorz is by far the best on the market
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: GoArmy

If your sox are long enough to get down to the hook area on the rod, then they are too long. Nothing worse than trying to dig a DD22 out of three different rod socks in the bottom of the rod locker.

I always get them shorter than their posted use lengths. All they need to do is come down to the last eye on the rod.

I agree.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 02:31 AM

Im a little disappointed ArmorZ doesnt make spinning rod covers...
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 02:51 AM

I like the stick jacket more color to choose from. When reaching in the rod box I know what rods to take out. Also stick jacket make bait covers so hooks don't snag.
Posted By: Blowing Up Skirts

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 03:01 AM

they are coming soon like mid January JK who
Posted By: KutTail71

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 03:05 AM

Yep!
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JkWho
Im a little disappointed ArmorZ doesnt make spinning rod covers...

Rod ArmorZ will soon release the Spinning Rod Covers AND also Ice Fishing Rod covers for the folks up north (IF it ever freezes again!) roflmao
The Standard Spinning Rod covers that were tested did not meet the "design standards" and were redesigned and modified.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Rod Sleeves - 12/31/15 04:14 AM

Elite Rod Sleeves for sure. Rods don't pop through the material and some of the best mesh material on the market. The owner is a great guy as well. And they're made in the USA as well!!

www.eliterodsleeves.com
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/02/16 12:02 AM

Not to put a damper on the thread.... But I never could get past having to take the things off and put them back on. Maybe I am not that rough on my rods.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/02/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: tommyc
Not to put a damper on the thread.... But I never could get past having to take the things off and put them back on. Maybe I am not that rough on my rods.

Im not rough on any of my stuff either...In fact Im over protective of all my gear, hence the covers
Posted By: Hookset Brother- Martin

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/03/16 09:13 AM

Rod Armorz is hard to beat yall!
Posted By: Chato

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/03/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

I like the older version with the soft dipped ends, not the newer ones with the hard plastic

^^^^^^ Me too
Posted By: mule29

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/04/16 03:20 PM

rod sox
Posted By: J-2

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/04/16 04:48 PM

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_Rod_Glove_Casting_Pro_Series/descpage-TRGCPS.html
Posted By: HawgWrangler

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/05/16 12:41 PM

I think almost every manufacturer of rod sleeves has been mentioned in this thread but a few have gotten multiple and typically for good reason. My advice, use these to narrow your choices and then buy one of each 6ou 5hink you'll like. This is one piece of equipment that is totally "personal preference".
Posted By: CrazyCajun

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/09/16 08:31 PM

rod condom or rod glove
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/10/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: JkWho

Im not rough on any of my stuff either...In fact Im over protective of all my gear, hence the covers

I hear ya. I might be a tad over protective as well. I never let my crew sleep outside.

Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/10/16 03:46 AM

+1
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Rod Sleeves - 01/10/16 08:44 AM

For some who do not seem to understand a basic reason for rold sleeves:

Using sleeves isn't always about allowing the user to treat rods rougher than rods without sleeves. I have so many rods that the factory-installed rod tip tubes had to go from my rod box. Once that's out, the rod sleeve of choice insures that I don't have to waste time on a bundle of rods who's tips get inadvertently tangled. Sometimes the tip of a rod being put into the rod box would go between the blank & line of a rod already in the rod box. They also seem to tangle themselves if rods roll, twisting a guide into the line on another rod. This entire fiasco is avoided by placing sleeves over the rod to prevent the tangle-dance inside the rod box. THAT is my primary reason.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum