Texas Fishing Forum

My DD Plan

Posted By: BeardedBanker

My DD Plan - 12/21/15 03:27 AM

To increase my chances of a DD this year, I'm gonna make a trip down to Rayburn, Toledo, or Fork once a month. I will fish Caddo and LOP the other weekends since they are close to home. Throw the big baits and hope for the best. Can you guys throw out recommendations for places to stay at Rayburn and Toledo? Wish me luck!

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 03:33 AM

Also any ramp suggestions would be good. Ones that host very few tournaments. Thx
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 03:35 AM

Maybe you should head to Falcon or Mexico.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 03:54 AM

The bell would probably be cheaper to go to a couple times to make sure you get one smile
Posted By: Skeeterbass73

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 04:23 AM

PM sent
Posted By: timwins31

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 05:13 AM

Good luck buddy. Those are good hunting grounds. Guys in other states can only dream about having those options. Throw a big swimbait and be ready. Hope ya find her.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Rkangler
To increase my chances of a DD this year, I'm gonna make a trip down to Rayburn, Toledo, or Fork once a month. I will fish Caddo and LOP the other weekends since they are close to home. Throw the big baits and hope for the best. Can you guys throw out recommendations for places to stay at Rayburn and Toledo? Wish me luck!

On Rayburn, Bass Buster Inn is decent for the money and in a great location. Close to The Stump..some great food, Toledo Bend I like Holly Park. Located in Patroon Creek (midlake)close to lots of great bass fishing. I like the trailers they have..Alot of people also like Fin and Feather, but I haven't been there so can't comment.

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
The bell would probably be cheaper to go to a couple times to make sure you get one smile

The bell?
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 07:15 AM

He's talking about Camelot Bell..a private pay to fish lake.

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

The bell?

I though about the cost, but figured it would be cheaper than tournament fishing. Figured it would cost $200-250 extra a month.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 01:46 PM

As far as Rayburn, your better ramps (which never have a tournament other than a small club tournament) will be Harvey, Five Fingers and Hanks Creek. None of those have amenities onsite. As mentioned above, The Bass Buster Inn is a good place to stay, but it's not near any of the ramps I mentioned. I would stay at Lakeview Motel (on hwy 147 across from the turnoff to the Cassels Boykin ramp). You are within 10 minutes of three different ramps - 2 minutes away from Cassels Boykin. You are also within 10 minutes of a couple pretty good restaurants in Broaddus and within 25 minutes of anything you would want in Lufkin. There is also a really good tackle store right down the road from Lakeview.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 02:38 PM

I just stayed at Lake View and liked it. Verizon has no signal there, but they have WiFi. Cassels Boykin ramp is nice if south wind.

Oak Ridge is my favorite place Fork for a bed, meals, and tackle shop. LFM is nice though.
Posted By: Walls

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
As far as Rayburn, your better ramps (which never have a tournament other than a small club tournament) will be Harvey, Five Fingers and Hanks Creek. None of those have amenities onsite. As mentioned above, The Bass Buster Inn is a good place to stay, but it's not near any of the ramps I mentioned. I would stay at Lakeview Motel (on hwy 147 across from the turnoff to the Cassels Boykin ramp). You are within 10 minutes of three different ramps - 2 minutes away from Cassels Boykin. You are also within 10 minutes of a couple pretty good restaurants in Broaddus and within 25 minutes of anything you would want in Lufkin. There is also a really good tackle store right down the road from Lakeview.
l

+1 there. Sounds like a great plan. Pretty sure most of the bigger fish and tourney bags have come from that end of the lake anyway imho.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 04:18 PM

Actually can't go wrong fishing any part of Rayburn. It's all fishing good
Posted By: TysonS

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 05:28 PM

Sounds like fun! I would suggest picking one of those 3 lakes you listed (the one closest ideally)and fish it as much as possible. I assume you are referring to 2016 spring time? I have caught bigger fish on less notorious bodies of water because I know them well and know what is happening water temp wise, weather, etc.

Good luck, I too am on a quest for DD.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 07:18 PM

Through the years I fished Fork as much as all of the other lakes combined but only managed to get a 9.6 lb bass in the boat. I was lucky enough to catch 3 double digit bass but they came from lakes Palestine, Murvaul and Bob Sandlin.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 08:53 PM

If your only interested in a double digit you need to be throwing double digit baits. Jigs, swimbaits and sight fishing in the spring. if you go to rayburn in the spring time and throw a 6-8" glide swimbait or a 6-8" 316 inline swimbait the whole trip you will have a shot at it. I also would suggest fishing one of the lakes you listed a bunch so you can learn the water. Fork is as good of an option as any for the listed techniques. That being said both my DDs have come on baits that are not known usually for catching DDs the difference between catching a 9lber and a 10lber is just luck.
Posted By: Coach2

Re: My DD Plan - 12/21/15 09:01 PM

Stay at Lakeview. Cassell Boykin is across the street. Clean rooms and they make an awesome cheeseburger. Ask for Wanda she is a super nice person. Toledo bend would have to be fin n feather. There are tons of great places to fish within 2 miles of the ramp.
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: My DD Plan - 12/22/15 04:08 AM

Good luck in 2016 and we both join the DD club! It is my goal as well. My plan is starting the year with Mr Pack at Fork, love going with lance Vick as well, might add Biggs and go to Ray Bob, Reehm at Rayburn, Gleason at Toledo bed. Also have a trip in March to holly ranch.
Posted By: D Thomas

Re: My DD Plan - 12/22/15 07:32 AM

If going to Lake Fork, I would stay at the Burnin' Stump. Covered parking for your boat, clean rooms, wifi, all at a good price. Also has a blacktop parking lot, so no mud. Within 1/4 mile of 515 W public ramp, and a mile or so from Pope's and LFM, and some good restaurants.
Posted By: 361V

Re: My DD Plan - 12/22/15 02:07 PM

I hope your "DD Plan" goes better than mine has this year! :-)
Posted By: CCTX

Re: My DD Plan - 12/22/15 02:40 PM

I've never caught a DD LMB, but I would have the most confidence in catching one either late prespawn/early spawn and then the early summer.

I'd get in the truck and do this:
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: My DD Plan - 12/23/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I've never caught a DD LMB, but I would have the most confidence in catching one either late prespawn/early spawn and then the early summer.

I like that map! I would say it is "spot on"!!!
thumb
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: My DD Plan - 12/23/15 06:44 PM

Good luck! Your odds are going up for sure. I think you might keep an eye on some less pressured smaller public waters as well. Since you didn't ask I'll tell you anyway- concentrate more time Jan - May.-lol! More fish weigh over ten those months than the rest.
Post up your biggun!
Posted By: mjmfc

Re: My DD Plan - 12/23/15 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

I'm gonna run my new travel plan by the boss
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: My DD Plan - 12/23/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
I hope your "DD Plan" goes better than mine has this year! :-)

Yeah, same here, I offered to get my wife implants for Christmas to give her DDs but she said no, so i will hold out for a DD bass instead.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: My DD Plan - 12/24/15 01:33 AM

My wife was on the DD plan. Cost me about 10k
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: My DD Plan - 12/24/15 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: rowlettfisherman
My wife was on the DD plan. Cost me about 10k
wopics
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: My DD Plan - 12/24/15 03:27 AM

Wouldn't hitting one or 2 lakes more put you more in tune with the bite and increase your chances of catching one? If you go to several lakes there is time spent trying to figure out where they are, 5 days since your last time on the lake is a lot better than 3 weeks.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: My DD Plan - 12/26/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Wouldn't hitting one or 2 lakes more put you more in tune with the bite and increase your chances of catching one? If you go to several lakes there is time spent trying to figure out where they are, 5 days since your last time on the lake is a lot better than 3 weeks.

Definitely something to that, but it's easy to fall into the trap of settling into the aggressive, smaller fish pattern. I believe fishing in the moment will catch more quality fish. Heard several stories of people catching the biggest bass they ever caught on lake XYZ their first time on that water. I've seen too many times for it to be coincidence; a novice angler fishing a different lure "incorrectly" on instinct rather than textbook presentation catch the biggest bass of the day.
Posted By: hoghead2007

Re: My DD Plan - 12/28/15 03:35 AM

toledo bend fin and feather is great to stay and also has a cafe at the ramp
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum