Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Arlington?

Posted By: One fish Bill

Lake Arlington? - 12/16/15 04:19 PM

Thinking about trying Lake Arlington but don't hear a lot about it like you do other power plant lakes. Do they operate in the winter? I called the lake Office but got their machine. Does anyone know ramp fees? Thanks, Bill
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that it is a 5$ launch and the plant hasn't run in years. There are plenty of big fish out there this time of year. Try the rip rap thumb Good luck!
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:23 PM

I might go Thursday after class.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:29 PM

It seems the ramp fee was $5 daily, lower rates for seasonal/annual passes. Seniors get a break on annual passes.

You just drive to the ramp and, at least off the Arkansas Lane one, there is a place where you can fill out a form envelope, drop it in the door, keep a pull-off tab to prove you paid it if you are stopped. Something like that.

The lake? Some swear by it and I have heard of large fish caught out there. I had very little luck out of a kayak . . . but I have no experience on the lake so I defaulted to the dam and fished the rip rap along there. I caught several very small bass.

When people were describing (on another thread last summer) the dirtiest lakes? Lake Arlington was mentioned a lot. I didn't notice that so much as up on the dam side, it is a rather featureless lake. Doesn't "look" very fishy at all.

Not sure about the power plant but a call to the office might get you a water temperature reading.

Brad
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:47 PM

Is it possible that the lake is flooded and closed right now?
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
Is it possible that the lake is flooded and closed right now?

No, this lake never stays up for long.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 04:57 PM

No the lake is open...it is only about .5 foot high...there are two boat ramps/parks on the Arlington side one at the end of Arkansas Lane...and the other at Bowman Springs...the lake office is located at the Richard Simmons Park at the Arkansas lane ramp. If you go south (Bowman Springs area) it can be very shallow in spots so be careful and dont run on plane in that area ..I have caught fish in spots all over the lake...the south end has a lot of structure/laydowns...which seem to always hold some fish...so does the dam and rip rap..They dont generate at this plant unless there is a need for emergency power...so it isnt a warm power plant lake.. but the discharge area can be a good place to locate fish..
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 05:20 PM

I've been on the lake several times in the last couple years where they were generating. The warm water doesn't travel far, but there is usually some decent current coming out of the discharge. And yes, there are bigguns in Arlington.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 06:16 PM

Much like Mountain Creek, the Lake Arlington power plant runs briefly only during high energy demand.
I fished Lake A last February after an ice storm and it ran for about three hours that morning, then went idle. The discharge is small relative to the size of the lake, so it won't warm up a large volume of water.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/16/15 08:25 PM

Flippin stick, jig rod with a football jig tied on, squarebill rod and a drop shot rod...that's all you need.

Targets there are pretty obvious. If you have a decent graph you will find a ton of rock piles and "humps" in 8-15fow

Flip docks and obvious cover you see. Drop shot the deeper water....should get you a limit pretty easy if they are biting. If the bite is off...good luck
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/17/15 02:15 AM

I was there last week. Was less than a foot high. I did find a very small area in the creek was about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the lake but it was a very small area and saw no activity there. It is a pp mainly for Summer when the electrical needs are at the worst. I have never had very good luck on this lake. I'm only fishing it because I live there and the other lakes are flooded.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/17/15 02:42 AM

I see you're coming from Granbury, you might be thinking you'll launch at that west side ramp - DON'T DO IT. Launch on the east side.

I haven't seen any bass with used needles sticking out of them in a while, but it pays to be careful anyway.
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/17/15 03:15 AM

Good lake with big fish. 10xd will produce bigguns
Posted By: Gary Ables

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/18/15 12:39 AM

They been running the power plant all week,im working a job on the lake
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/18/15 01:43 AM

Was there today. Saw smoke coming from one of the stacks most of the day. Couldn't tell it from the water temps though. Couldn't get a bite.

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/18/15 05:11 AM

The coves on the west side near the outlet will be warmer and should be good.The rest of the lake will be cold and tuff fishing.

Re: Lake Alington? - 12/18/15 05:12 AM

The coves on the west side near the outlet will be warmer and should be good.The rest of the lake will be cold and tuff fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum