Texas Fishing Forum

John Hope article

Posted By: KenTx1962

John Hope article - 12/16/15 03:03 PM

First a big thank you to Mike who goes by MDM here on the TFF for helping me find John Hope to write this piece. I even give the TFF a shout out in here. Every time I talk to John I feel like I learn something, I hope you guys enjoy reading this half as much as I enjoyed writing it. Also if you have never read the stuff by Todd Driscoll of TPW that I reference, some additional interesting reading. For any of you Facebook users, Facebook likes are a big deal on articles, if you like it, please "like" it!

John Hope Article
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 03:34 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 04:06 PM

Ken that is a great write up! That is full of very good information.
Posted By: elrod

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 04:09 PM

very cool article
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 04:34 PM

Great article!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 04:38 PM

Great article Ken. Lets get lunch back on the books soon.
Posted By: MDM

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 04:56 PM

Very good article Ken. Glad I was able to help get you two together.

Mike
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 05:16 PM

confirmed some of what I have been telling anglers inquiring what happens to the fish after we dump them out of the live release boat.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 05:33 PM

Great article Ken. We had Mr. Hope out to a club meeting many years ago and pretty much had a question and answer session for a couple of hours. He is a very interesting, nice man that really opened up a lot of eye's to bass behavior with his studies.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 05:44 PM

Anybody that wants to catch really big bass consistently would be well advised to CAREFULLY and THOROUGHLY read all that and Mr Hopes study observations. I can tell you it has been the best and most true bit of info I have read about giant bass. I use those simple truths every year for any lake in Texas.
Not to carry on, but I can't emphasize any bit of information on this forum more than his work.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 05:56 PM

John and his partner won Texas State Tourny team divison on Rayburn in 2012 and putting Dale Rabe and I in second place
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 06:01 PM

thumb great info.
Posted By: trackerman.

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 07:47 PM

Ken:
Absolutely a great article. Any thought that this should be submitted to some of the fishing mags like BASS or Bassmaster, or other outdoor publications? There's prob. a whole host of fishermen that aren't members of TFF. Just a thought.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 08:14 PM

Very good work Ken and thank you for sharing!

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 08:23 PM

Trackerman thanks for the compliment, I'm working on something else now that may get picked up by FLW. Unfortunately they all want only new content so they generally won't republish....already checked!
Posted By: J2H1

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 08:26 PM

Very interesting article.
Thanks!
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 08:40 PM

Great article Ken!
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: John Hope article - 12/16/15 10:33 PM

Awesome info , good to see knowledgeable stuff on here instead of the usual
Posted By: Trickster

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 01:44 AM

Enjoyed the article. Your publications are very well done. thumb
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 02:00 AM

Mr. Hope is a wealth of knowledge. I have heard him speak many, many times during his early days of tracking fish on Amistad. The Permian Bass Club was one of his supporters during his studies for a few years. The feed back and knowledge was very valuable for me fishing Amistad all those years. Thanks for sharing the article. It brings back many good memories.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 04:46 AM

Thanks for the article, enjoyed it and your website Ken. Hopefully I can apply the tips on Toledo Bend where I still don't have a DD yet. Rayburn has been good to me.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 07:08 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for writing and sharing!
Posted By: CHIG68

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 01:15 PM

Very good article thanks you for sharing!
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 01:16 PM

Very good article.......thank you for sharing it with us!
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
First a big thank you to Mike who goes by MDM here on the TFF for helping me find John Hope to write this piece. I even give the TFF a shout out in here. Every time I talk to John I feel like I learn something, I hope you guys enjoy reading this half as much as I enjoyed writing it. Also if you have never read the stuff by Todd Driscoll of TPW that I reference, some additional interesting reading. For any of you Facebook users, Facebook likes are a big deal on articles, if you like it, please "like" it!

John Hope Article

Name from my past....

Tell John Hope a big Howdy from Brett Rowley. Its been a very loooooong time.

John is first rate, one of the best students, and teachers, of fishing and fish behavior I ever met.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: John Hope article - 12/17/15 03:16 PM

Wow, is all I can say. I read your current article & the one you wrote in 2013.

You did an Excellent job writing this article. It clarifies so many things that are simple but misunderstood by so many fisherman.

I live on a lake & primarily crappie fish. Spend most of my time in 8' to 16' of water and catch some really big bass on crappie lures. I see guys beating the bank 12 months out of the year.

The daylight and dusk portion of your article was really good too, so simple once explained.
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: John Hope article - 12/20/15 02:00 AM

Never had the pleasure to meet Ken or John but I really enjoyed this piece. It boggles my mind how small of distances John believes fish range in their lifetime. Also makes a ton of sense about them staying in certain depth ranges, we pull them up from deep then they struggle to go back down, same issue if they do same to themselves, so intuitive but I'd never thought that through. Ordering John's book tonight.

Filler
Posted By: toddfish

Re: John Hope article - 12/23/15 03:30 AM

Great article!
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: John Hope article - 12/23/15 02:36 PM

Great article Ken. Thanks for digging it up. I remember watching the old Honey Hole TV shows and thinking I wish I had the time to do the tracking stuff that John did. It set aside some of our long accepted 'truths'.

I'll be up that way after the 1st and let you buy me lunch.
Posted By: basshunter1

Re: John Hope article - 12/24/15 02:16 AM

I was lucky enough to have been at Houston County the day John put the transmitter in that fish. I watched the whole thing from about six feet away and was lucky enough to have had my camera with me. I was standing next to the reporter from the Houston Chronicle news paper. I took about ten pictures of John and the bass while he was explaining what he was doing and why. If I only could have known what I know now about that day I would have taken a hundred pics. I can only find one of the pics now but I assure you that when winter finally gets here and I'm bored because I can't get out of the house because of the snow or ice, I'm going to tear the house up looking for the rest of them. I promise I will share them on here with you guys. Man this brings back some awesome memories of that day and that little lake.

Re: John Hope article - 12/24/15 04:16 PM

You have got to scan that pic and put it on here, I'd love to see it. And for you young guys, back in the day we took pictures on something called film, crazy concept but that's how it worked.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 01:43 PM

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 03:18 PM

Ken, I will get the pic on here as soon as I get home. I still have that Olympus OM10, and the last time I used it it still took beautiful pics.
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 03:44 PM

Thanks for sharing. Great article!
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 05:02 PM

Ken, thanks for the info.

Did John say the there was a cover or structure that was preferred by the big females?

I mainly fish for big crappie now and typically find big crappie and big bass live in the same cover or type of cover year around, the depth he talks about is true regardless of the depth of the water throughout most of the year.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Lannie Robertson

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudman63
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 07:36 PM

Anybody know where to get the book at I've been tryin to find it and haven't had any luck. Thanks

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 07:51 PM

[img:center][/img]

Sorry guys i chopped his head off in this picture but I was concentrating on the fish at this point. Those of you that remember Houston County Lake and John, will remember the vat behind the marina and beside the door going into the boat stalls, and will also remember John normally wore these light blue shirts when guiding. I will do the best to find the rest of the pics and get them on here.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: John Hope article - 12/25/15 08:43 PM

friend lent me the book once to read. Glad to see people still appreciate the effort John put into this work.
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: John Hope article - 12/26/15 12:42 AM

So nobody knows where to find the book?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: John Hope article - 12/26/15 02:58 PM

Found this on another bass web site.

The address to order the books is John Hope, 4499 S Hwy 19, Palestine, Texas 75801
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum