Texas Fishing Forum

Mexico's got nothing on this place!!

Posted By: Tom Leogrande

Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 01:29 AM

I know, I know Texas is awesome for bass fishing. Big fan of Falcon and Conroe and Toledo and Fork - but Georgia has a place that if it's not heaven, you can definitely see it from there.. Stole that from someone.

Pro vs. Joe presented by Realtree Episode 7 - against Landon Tucker son of Elite Series angler J. Todd Tucker.

Let me know what you think!!!! Who wants to fish this place?

Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 01:43 AM

Looks like a good pond but it ain't Mexico...

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 03:25 AM

Really? Wow, you need to tell me where in Mexico to go then, because I have been there a half dozen times to all the key places and never did I catch 40 fish with two over 8 lbs in 3 hours. I can't imagine this place in Feb - May.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 03:44 AM

So did you spell Conroe & Toledo wrong on purpose or what?
Posted By: Hunter's Dad

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Leogrande
Really? Wow, you need to tell me where in Mexico to go then, because I have been there a half dozen times to all the key places and never did I catch 40 fish with two over 8 lbs in 3 hours. I can't imagine this place in Feb - May.

Not to be a jerk and its hard to believe but that wasn't that uncommon on falcon a few years ago. Haven't been to Mexico since the 90's. Back then 100 fish days with at least a couple over 8 were what we expected.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 04:19 AM

Lol posted by someone who truly doesn't know Texas bass fishing. I've had multiple days that good or better on Fork and Ivie (both PUBLIC waters, not some little stock pond). And that was at a time when Falcon was fishing better than either of them. The Mexico comment is just laughable.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 04:27 AM

Friend and I almost touched 44 pounds best 5 on Rayburn a couple years back playing..... But if you are talking private ponds I know of one that is rediculous. 10fish over 100pounds. In a day. Amazing what money can buy.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 04:48 AM

Actually I have caught many fish in Texas. Conroe was an error (even if I've been there 5-6 times) but Toledo was typo, sorry about that. Keep in mind this show was filmed in 2 1/2 hours in a post frontal condition in September which is a tough month. No worries, Texas and Mexico both have incredible fisheries.

@Andrew Y'Barbo - 10 fish for over 100 lbs is incredible.

@TimWins31 - I've been to 4 lakes in Mexico including the most popular ones, and while I caught some good fish, the fishing is just as good at Clear Lake (CA where I fished 150+ days a year) and Falcon where I have whacked them before as well with an 11-9 and several 9's in less than an hour on the water. And Jordan (AMarts daughter) got a 10 lber during that hour as well.

With good lakes like any we have mentioned - it's all a matter of timing and preference. 2.5 hours over 40 fish with a couple over 8 and a few more over 5-6 I'd say it rivals anywhere I have been... and in not optimal conditions. I have caught more than 20 fish over 10 lbs and most of them in tournaments, so I know good fishing and Live Oak Plantation is incredible. If you are offended, don't fish there... no biggie.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 04:55 AM

No ones offended. I think it's funny that you think fishing in a tiny little private pond compares to the amazing lakes in Mexico, that's all. It's not hard to catch that many fish in a short time in a pond that only has one kid pressuring it. Those are incredibly uneducated fish, I bet my 8 year old niece could have the same day there. Doing it in a public lake is infinitely more impressive.

You're also dealing with people who have fished at Camelot Bell dude. You want to impress us with a pond, show me one better then the Bell. Then the cynicism will certainly be less.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 05:05 AM

Falcon pre 2012 was as good as it gets. We had multiple days of 40+ lbs in a matter of hours which was the norm back then. Groups of 8-9lbers on points was common
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 05:08 AM

No fish in Conroe... peep

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Falcon pre 2012 was as good as it gets. We had multiple days of 40+ lbs in a matter of hours which was the norm back then. Groups of 8-9lbers on points was common

Always reminds me of this vid. . .I THINK it was 2009 when Paul set the record. . .but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaDcqt2weM

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 06:22 AM

@Timwins31 - that was a cool tournament - I think it was around 2009. I was there for the last Elite Series and we (myself, Aaron Martens and Jordan Martens [Aaron's 12 year old daughter]) went out for 1 hour Aaron never made a cast, but Jordan and I's biggest 5 were 11-4, 10-2, 10, 9-5 and 9 and we had about 10 more all over 6 lbs with a bunch in the high 7's and 8 lb range. I lived near Clear Lake and had some good tournament there, and one hour on Falcon and I swear it is better than Clear Lake! I love Falcon. Would love to try a few other places around Texas like Austin Lake, and Toledo Bend in the Spring. Toledo in the fall can be brutal. I was there with Todd Faircloth a few years back and bites were hard to come by... if I was solo, I most certainly would have blanked.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 06:27 AM

Of course, having a great day like that on a public lake is more impressive. I'd much rather fish Falcon or Clear Lake on a regular basis... I was just saying - if you want to go out and have a whack-fest and try some new lures... Georgia is a lot closer and cheaper than Mexico... not to mention safer - and you Texas boys can even bring your guns!

Catching a bunch of big fish there does not mean you are a good fisherman. But fishing isn't about impressing people - it's about catching fish and having fun and Live Oak is perfect for that get-away trip to catch a bunch of good fish with some buddies!

Keep in mind there are 8 lakes at Live Oak Plantation and nothing is a given.
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 10:23 AM

a lot safer then Mexico thumb
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 11:17 AM

I figure Tom's comment in the title of his post is somewhat in jest, but anyone who has fished Bacarrac or
Comedero can tell you that the scenery alone is worth at least one 8 lber a day
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 11:40 AM

good morning,

"el salto" probassadventures....doug king ....he's on here....

gotta love it.....go when you can...get your bass down here !!!!!!!!!!!

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole K.

Yep nothing to see here, nope no fish in Conroe, except carp and catfish....................Haha!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 05:21 PM

Suites, El Salto and Comedero
Picachos will be there in another year or two!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 06:51 PM

Not sure is surpassed Fayette Co. Numbers and bigger avg size.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfishon

a lot safer then Mexico thumb

Just curious, when was the last time you heard about an angler being killed or injured in Mexico?
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 08:23 PM

Great show and glad you posted....you guys on here are tough....lol
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/15/15 10:07 PM

Enjoy the show. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 12:25 AM

hammer popcorn2 Old Bill Dance has a pretty good pond!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 12:47 AM

Spam? Name drop? I think I'd rather go hang out at Fork with Pack or Oldfield or any one of several others....
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Spam? Name drop? I think I'd rather go hang out at Fork with Pack or Oldfield or any one of several others....

Name drop??? Really???
Posted By: T54

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 02:15 AM

Georgia is a lot closer and cheaper than Mexico...

Could go fish Sugar and it is closer and cheaper than going to Georgia...
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: cali kid
I figure Tom's comment in the title of his post is somewhat in jest, but anyone who has fished Bacarrac or
Comedero can tell you that the scenery alone is worth at least one 8 lber a day

I have to agree, the scenery at bacarrac is awesome!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1

Name drop??? Really???

Just naming two lake Fork guides I'd rather fish with.....no relation or benefits implied...... The guide list is on here about once a week in it's entirety... sarcastic
Posted By: txstoby

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 04:14 AM

Mexico gets a bad rap for safety. In Mexico, most of the violence is associated with the drug trade. Just stay away from it and do not go where you know you should not be. In the US now there are shooting with multiple victims almost every day, some are drug related also but many are totally random.
There are areas in the US that I know not to be in at night and the same is in Mexico. I have spent a lot of time in Sinaloa the past two years and feel very safe.
The fishing is very consistent with good numbers of lunker fish. Anyone that has fished Baccarac or El Salto for any period of time will verify. Falcone pre 2012 for several years was awesome but it is a hard day of fishing now matter if you caught a lot or not.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 04:46 AM

I actually thought it was spam at first too. Then when the name dropping started I just quit responding before I got WOSed. The guy seems a bit ridiculous.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 08:26 AM

@TimWins31 - Sorry about the name drop, but anytime I have fished Texas it has been with one of my clients. I was just trying to explain that I got a pretty good look at some of the great Texas lakes with those guys. I left off another 5 or 6 names and lakes in an attempt to not name drop. I've seen many of the lakes and seen them with some pretty good guides! To be honest I don't fish too much, I most take pictures and shoot video - teaching videos for everyday fisherman... trying to help others catch more fish!

@CaliKid - Bacarrac or Comedero haven't been to either of those, but I have heard Bacarrac was great. For me was Huites and El Salto - but I know there are others. There is one a few hours drive south of Arizona that is supposed to be amazing as well. Glad you got my title of the post in jest. It's a great place to fish and I can rattle of 20 lakes that could all be considered the BEST - all depends on how it fishes FOR YOU, when YOU get there.

As for Danger in Mexico - anytime you go to a foreign country it's more dangerous than a trip to another state. However, I have NEVER had a problem in Mexico - whether on a fishing trip, my honeymoon, or fun trips when I was in HS and college in so-cal.

For anyone who said SPAM... Well, SPAM is selling you something or getting you to come visit our website and look at our sponsors or something. I shared the show and you didn't even need to leave the Texas Fishing Forum. I was hoping you'd enjoy it instead of calling me a spammer. I'm on MANY Forums and share fishing commentary with many people about all sorts of topics. This post wasn't out to sell you anything. If I wanted to spam - I'd spam about our magazine and try to make some $$... spamming a free show you watch right here on Texas Fishing forum makes me $0!

For those of you who enjoyed the show. Glad you liked it. We do have 13 episodes and this was Episode 7. I probably won't post them here anymore since it seems like I offended some people... We had a good time making them and met some great everyday anglers from around the country.

Have a good day and I hope you all catch some Texas giants!
Posted By: propman

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 04:23 PM

No "fish story" here. This is the truth, and there many who will back this up. On El Salto last week, Dec. 8-12, a group of 18 guys, for 4 1/2 days of fishing, caught a very close estimate of 4,500 bass, with an average estimated weight of a bit over 2 1/2 #'s, for a total of about 11,500 #'s of bass. The best 5 fish for that time period, for one guy, was almost 46#. My boat partner and I had an 89 fish day and another pair had a 99 fish day. There were 3 guys who had fish over 11 #'s, and there were a great many caught in the 5, 6, and 7 # range. Also fewer in the 8 - 10 # range; but it didn't matter the size of the fish, as they all tried to yank the rod out of your hand. I didn't beat my 11 # 4 oz. from when several of this group went down there last year, at the same time, and my best is trip was about 8 1/2 #. Not too shabby a fishing trip. The last day of fishing , Sat. the 12th, it poured so hard that there were times when I couldn't see my bait hit the water, but the fish still bit like crazy. Doug King and his Pro Bass Adventure Mexico based staff are the most accommodating folks, serving the best food, and way too much of it. The beer and tequila was also good. Great trip to El Salto with a great group of new and old fishing friends, staying at, and fishing from the best place.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 05:35 PM

El Salto is something special that is for sure. With that said, it wouldn't suprise me at all to match those numbers and beat the big fish from that trip several times over at Live Oak Plantation. We filmed 2 shows in one day and the numbers of fish caught are on the show. And this is during the worst time of year for fishing in the Georgia area. Either way, there are MANY great places to fish... Live Oak is another great option for trips like you just took, and a lower cost option too! That was my point... not that Mexico isn't great, of course it is that's not even debateable! And by the way I have nothing to do with Live Oak - other than we filmed there and owe them nothing. To be honest, I shouldn't say a word about it and just go fish it myself whenever I get the bug for a "catching" trip!

Glad to hear El Salto went well for you.

What's the lake in Northern Mexico Nogales or something like that - it's supposed to be incredible as well.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 09:59 PM

You can still have days like this on Fork...they just don't happen as often as in year's past.

Gman
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/16/15 10:42 PM

Cost?

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 05:21 AM

Doug, sorry I actually have no idea. If you just want to fish it for the day I think it's like $50 (but don't quote me on that) They do have a lodge for the fishing and/or hunting and I don't know the rates for that either. No matter how much they charge it has to be cheaper to go to South Georgia than to a different country. Although if you live in South Texas it might not be too expensive to go to Mexico! Give them a call.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 09:38 AM

Its a catch and release pond, of course you're gonna catch big fish. Probably costs a boat load too.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 03:27 PM

Doug R. - Find Pro Bass Adventures on the internet @: www.mexicofishing.net or call Doug King @: 480-491-9300 office or 480-861-5021 cell You should be able to get all the info. you might need. They are great people to go with; first class from top to bottom.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 03:31 PM

For all who read my post 4 or 5 places above. I was corrected by Dannie Golden of Get-Bit Guide Service on the number of fish our group caught that were over 11#. We actually had 4. I forgot to include his 11#+ monster.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 03:35 PM

Tom, I hope you have learned a valuable lesson here.

Your "Pro VS Joe" project is awesome. Really great idea and execution.

However, we now have three pages of argumentative correspondence, and not one single person has even mentioned the video at the top of this thread (great video by the way). I mean, good Lord, people are starting other threads "inspired" by this thread.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: District Paddle
Tom, I hope you have learned a valuable lesson here.

Your "Pro VS Joe" project is awesome. Really great idea and execution.

However, we now have three pages of argumentative correspondence, and not one single person has even mentioned the video at the top of this thread (great video by the way). I mean, good Lord, people are starting other threads "inspired" by this thread.

I agree with you and thought the video was great. Is it really surprising that there is three pages of derailing's?? Just another week in the bass section. It does make it interesting at times though!

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 07:55 PM

Ah no worries. I have thick skin and am willing and like talking bass fishing even if it's "Hypothetical" what's the best lake type stuff!

Now that Longhorn logo offends me. GO COOGS (UH)!!

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 07:57 PM

@Gamblinman - what team is that photo in your post signature?

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 08:00 PM

OH and thanks for the good words on the show - They were a lot of fun to make and hope some of you enjoy this one and the other 12.

Next year we are doing TEXAS for sure... so feel free to submit your challenges. Houston Cougar fans get VIP on the list!
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole K.

Nothing but a bunch of 2 pounders. at least I have not caught anything over two on that lake.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 09:01 PM

Cool video! Thanks for sharing. Don't mind the negative comments. We all have our favorite places. This is just another great place to catch some good fish. Some of us enjoy watching any fishing related videos.

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 10:12 PM

Thanks DKennimer - that's what we are hoping for. We have some improvements to make - but overall, I think people are enjoying it!
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/17/15 10:49 PM

Thanks DKennimer - that's what we are hoping for. We have some improvements to make - but overall, I think people are enjoying it!

Keep it up. cheers
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/18/15 02:51 AM

Ah no worries. I have thick skin and am willing and like talking bass fishing even if it's "Hypothetical" what's the best lake type stuff!

Now that Longhorn logo offends me. GO COOGS (UH)!!

I just wanted you to see the bad azz logo again!
Posted By: Techsan4

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/18/15 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008
Its a catch and release pond, of course you're gonna catch big fish. Probably costs a boat load too.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Small ponds/lakes where catch and release is exclusively practiced are full of stunted 10-14" fish with very few large fish. In order to grow good numbers of big fish you need to aggressively harvest small ones.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/18/15 02:09 PM

Lee in Texas would love seeing all those bass being caught on livingston crankbaits!!!! roflmao

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/18/15 11:08 PM

jcarring99 That's funny right there.. but just for you here's a winning logo!

UT needs Tom Herman wants they run Strong out of town!

Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Mexico's got nothing on this place!! - 12/18/15 11:18 PM

good afternoon,

you gotta pay a lot for herman...he's got a very nice contract(2.8 mil) about 3 weeks ago and a huge buy out ....

now in the top 5 % of college coaches....

GO COOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 68-72 with yeoman.....just saying...

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum