Texas Fishing Forum

Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them?

Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 07:47 PM

Picking up a new boat tomorrow (Monday) with a 200 Pro XS. I want one of the vented covers to keep the cowling clean and scratch free. Saw where Russell Marine was selling some nice ones.

Has anyone ever heard of the motor not getting enough air when the cover is on it? I had issues with that on a Yamaha on a previous boat. Anyone have experience using a vented cover on a Pro XS?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 08:03 PM

Russell sells the cutout ones that are designed to never take off. I wouldn't have a boat without one. For what these boats cost today, protect your investment as well as you can. It'll help the resale, someday.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 08:07 PM

Never an issue with a truly vented cover at all. Since outboards are water cooled you should be fine.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 09:38 PM

My Pro XS has a Tuff Skinz vented cover that has always been on the motor during use. Delivered by the dealer that way, and never any issue.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 09:41 PM

Id be more concerned with air intake then heat venting. Ive seen a few that make me wonder.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim
Id be more concerned with air intake then heat venting. Ive seen a few that make me wonder.
hell. The factory plastic cover on my boat makes me wonder. Lol
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 10:26 PM

Tuff Skinz
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 10:28 PM

Justin Johns has the hook up on some good covers
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 10:33 PM

Outboard Covers of America, OCA, fit like a glove, no rubbing, very well made, don't fade, look great.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 10:45 PM

I will never be without a tuff skinz on my boat
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 11:09 PM

I have a TuffSkinz on my Yamaha and never had any issues.
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/13/15 11:39 PM

Thank y'all very very very much. I appreciate the info and input.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 12:09 AM

Tuffskinz and you wont have a worry.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78

+1 cats meow.
Posted By: squib

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 02:20 AM

Other than the fading to nearly white after a couple of years.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 04:37 AM

Have tuff skins love it
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 01:59 PM

I have used multiple Yamaha SHo covers from Justin Russell at Russell Marine and they were great!! I just got my new one in for my 250Pro XS that is on my 2016 boat, he takes the OEM Covers and adds proper venting to them so they fit great.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 04:11 PM

I have a TuffSkinz on my Merc and never had any issues.
Just gotta make sure it stays up above the p-hole..
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 06:03 PM

Had one on my 2000 225 EFI since it was new. Cowl still looks brand new..never a problem.

Gman
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

Other than the fading to nearly white after a couple of years.
Never had one fade but I do cover it with a regular old motor cover at home when not using.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Thinking about getting a vented motor cover. Anyone have any issues with them? - 12/14/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Outboard Covers of America, OCA, fit like a glove, no rubbing, very well made, don't fade, look great.
+100 for OCA Frank hit all the key factors
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum