Texas Fishing Forum

Leaning Towards Humminbird

Posted By: jgf131/tx

Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 03:44 AM

Thanks to all that provided input to my last post about electronics. Spent some time online and am leaning toward HB at this point. Next question is ONIX or HELIX? What's better about the Onix?

From what I've seen the HELIX 12 CHIRP/SI/GPS KVD combo looks like what I think I want.
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 03:49 AM

Yep. Order if from David with Shut Up and Fish. He's a fellow TFF member and a great guy to deal with. Awesome service and a straight shooter.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 03:41 PM

If money is not an issue, Onix for sure. Touch capabilities, dedicated DI crystals for a better picture, and the ability to customize your screens and layout. I believe it also has HD sonar or something of that nature.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 03:46 PM

Humminbird has Lake Master
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 04:15 PM

My understanding, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is Onix has better picture quality and has auto-chart live which allows you to create your own topo maps in real time as you idle around. I believe Helix 10 and 12 may offer this feature too.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 04:49 PM

Bang for buck I think Garmin offers a better package then HB and Low
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
My understanding, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is Onix has better picture quality and has auto-chart live which allows you to create your own topo maps in real time as you idle around. I believe Helix 10 and 12 may offer this feature too.

The Helix 12 series has a higher resolution (pixels per square inch) display than the ONIX 10. The Helix 10 and ONIX 10 have about the same screen resolution.

The Helix 12 series has CHIRP 2D sonar.
The ONIX series can do CHIRP with an added accessory and transducer.

Yes the ONIX series, Helix 9, 10, and 12 series has the built-in Auto Chart Live.

There are two ONIX versions, the original one is Cross-Touch---touch screen and buttons. The latest version is the NT and is just buttons.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/13/15 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

The Helix 12 series has a higher resolution (pixels per square inch) display than the ONIX 10. The Helix 10 and ONIX 10 have about the same screen resolution.

Yes the ONIX series, Helix 9, 10, and 12 series has the built-in Auto Chart Live.

There are two ONIX versions, the original one is Cross-Touch---touch screen and buttons. The latest version is the NT and is just buttons.

One more thing, every version of the ONIX and Helix 9, 10, and 12 series can support the 360. It does not have to be a SI version.
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/14/15 02:17 AM

I've used Humminbird for years but I do think Garmin has the best to offer. The clarity and ease of use really is making me thinking of changing over to Garmin
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/14/15 04:18 AM

One more thing, every version of the ONIX and Helix 9, 10, and 12 series can support the 360. It does not have to be a SI version.

everyone I talked hates 360.. Any like it?
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Leaning Towards Humminbird - 12/14/15 01:45 PM

I had 360 on my 2015 boat, and I loved it. It was a great tool for me when I needed it. I had an 1199 dedicated to just the 360 unit up front and it didnt take but a couple trips out to really understand the picture and the level of detail that you receive with it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum