Texas Fishing Forum

Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock

Posted By: bogey♂

Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:04 PM

I use a lot of funky knots to accomplish this task. I was just wondering if someone could help me out with their knot. My set up: 15' rope with a loop at one end. I put that end on my front cleat. The other end is just rope.

I have had my boat leave without me and had a club member help me retrieve my ride.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:21 PM

I usually do one of three things. Tie a double overhand knot, pull the loose end and tie off to another cleat on my boat or put a clip like a carabiner clip to the end of the rope and just wrap it around the pole and clip back to the main line.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:40 PM

Bogey - get an I-Pilot or even better yet an MG Xi5. I drop my TM in the water, step on the dock and then send the boat out about 20 yards and hit Anchor Lock and then go get my truck. What is funny is to see people freaking out thinking that my boat has drifted off. I even had three guys in a boat trying to rope my boat one morning. roflmao

When I get on the dock again I whistle and start yelling "Come here Boy. Come to Daddy" while I am using the remote in my pocket. Boat slips up to the dock, I step on and off I go. I get a lot of strange looks!!!
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:47 PM

Why don't you tie a loop on both ends of the rope. Run the one loop through the other around the poll then attach to your cleat.

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro
Bogey - get an I-Pilot or even better yet an MG Xi5. I drop my TM in the water, step on the dock and then send the boat out about 20 yards and hit Anchor Lock and then go get my truck. What is funny is to see people freaking out thinking that my boat has drifted off. I even had three guys in a boat trying to rope my boat one morning. roflmao

When I get on the dock again I whistle and start yelling "Come here Boy. Come to Daddy" while I am using the remote in my pocket. Boat slips up to the dock, I step on and off I go. I get a lot of strange looks!!!

clap That'd be funny to watch.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:54 PM

Use any number of hitch knots. Usually I'll double up the line to shorten it.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:55 PM

Are we seriously discussing how to tie a boat to a dock? hymmmm. Use a Palomar
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 08:55 PM

Just wait til that day that it doesn't come back. I did it and the remote unlocked the spotlock and then wouldn't control the boat. All I could do was watch it as it floated away. Thought it was the batteries so got new ones and tried it again with the same result. I used to use it that way all the time now I can't trust it.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

Just wait til that day that it doesn't come back. I did it and the remote unlocked the spotlock and then wouldn't control the boat. All I could do was watch it as it floated away. Thought it was the batteries so got new ones and tried it again with the same result. I used to use it that way all the time now I can't trust it.

Yeah, have always been a little worried about that but have been doing it for years now and never had an issue. Especially with the Xi5. I have never lost spot lock while doing this or fishing. My old I-Pilot would lose the lock while fishing some times. One of the many reasons I have the Xi5 now.
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 09:36 PM

Double half hitch
Clove hitch
Bowline

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 09:50 PM

Thanks Karl - I like the Clove hitch cheers
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 09:52 PM

Simple knot. Double half hitch.

Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/10/15 11:59 PM

Sailors use a bowline knot...gives you a secure knot that is always easy to untie..

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 12:06 AM

This......

Originally Posted By: ToadThrower
Sailors use a bowline knot...gives you a secure knot that is always easy to untie..

Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 08:33 PM

Bogey,I would just put me in the boat with you...problem solved !
Posted By: dbullmoose

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 09:08 PM

1. Rope around the pole
2. Through the loop
3. Pull it tight
4. Tie rope end to cleat
Posted By: MtnHm203

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadThrower

Yes -THIS

Clove hitch or half hitches will work, BUT, a Bowline, in rigging circles, is one of the first knots you'll learn, is a VERY easy not to tie, untie. Practice it at home, LOL. I can tie one with one hand, LOL

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
Bogey,I would just put me in the boat with you...problem solved !

I can do that!

I will practice the bowline also, just in case Jerry doesn't show up grin
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/11/15 10:47 PM

Bowline man. Learn it, love it.
Posted By: BrotherB

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/12/15 12:23 AM

I would learn to tie the bowline unless you have plenty of money then I'd go with the I pilot. But to me rope is just a little cheaper.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/12/15 12:26 AM

How about putting a loop in the open end? Like so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UracDq6QAz4
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/12/15 01:39 AM

Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/12/15 10:17 PM

Get ya one of these and keep it in your boat:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dock-Edge-Portable-Cleat&i=33140

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dock-Edge-5-Insta-Cleat&i=22118
Posted By: Rog

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/13/15 07:13 AM

Cause he must be a Aggie.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/13/15 02:41 PM

Bowline: versatile, easy, can be learned using one hand only to tie it if one had to in an emergency situation . . . for a longer term tie.

But, if you mean to secure your boat while you run to get the trailer?

A slipknot. It can be tied in 5 seconds, released in 1 second.

Super easy to learn. This video beginning at the 30 seconds mark does about as good a job of showing the skill as any. I'd say you can master it in 30 minutes of practice then never forget it.

Brad

Slipknot

Posted By: M.Matthews U.S.N. 1963-1967

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/13/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Karl Dietz
Double half hitch
Clove hitch
Bowline

That's the 3 I use, and being an old boatswain mate those are some good knots....... :>)
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Tying up to a pole without a cleat on the dock - 12/14/15 02:45 AM

open rod box hatch, take one end of rope out of box leaving most of the rope in the box. flip it over pole and drop back in box. Close hatch door..... smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum