Texas Fishing Forum

Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo

Posted By: steelcurtain

Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 02:53 PM

I'm in the market for a new reel and i have heard great things about both. I have about $175 - $250 to spend and i cant make up my mind on what to choose. (Texas rig, wacky, Carolina)
Posted By: stetson

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 03:03 PM

Go with a shimano or lews instead, that's my honest opinion
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 03:34 PM

$250 I'd buy the quantum exo if it was between quantum and abu.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 03:41 PM

Yea ive been checking Shimano out too. They only had one reel that was in my price range (on Bass Pro) and it was such a huge drop in price from their others it made me question its durability. I havent really looked into Lews yet.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Revo STX and keep the extra 50 bucks. Can't go wrong with Revo.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Originally Posted By: stetson
Go with a shimano or lews instead, that's my honest opinion

+1 go with shimano
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 04:05 PM

Sorry I know you asked about 2 reels only but please check out the new Daiwa Fuego or the Tatulas. But of those 2 you asked about I like the Quantum.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 04:09 PM

Check out the lews I have several and love them...
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
+1 check Ebay can get them for under $150
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 05:09 PM

Daiwa zillion TWS....pick your speed and enjoy! 240.00 here.

check it
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 05:22 PM

I have a Revo STX 8:0 ratio and I really like it. Used to use the Quantum Smoke series, and they are good too!
Posted By: pondskipper

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 05:25 PM

Cant go wrong with a quantum PT, they are all I fish with.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 05:27 PM

Not a big of anything Quantum makes personally. Between those 2 id go with Abu's Revo for sure. But I would reccommend you take a good look at Daiwa. I absolutely love their reels, a close second would be a Lew's.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 07:49 PM

Between those two I would go with Abu. Had a repair shop tell me that Quantum was one of the worst to get parts for if it breaks. Don't know how true it is but I have no reason to doubt. From a functional stand point I don't think any reel maker is superior to any other. I have an assortment of brands including the two you mentioned and they all work good.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 08:06 PM

This question is like asking a room full of people "would you rather have a Ford or a Chevy.
Go to Wal-Mart and buy the new Abu Garcia Black Max "3" for $34.95. It will cast just as far, reel just as good, the brakes work just as well and will hold up a lot longer than many $150--$200 reels.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 08:15 PM

Revo SX or STX
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 08:26 PM

I was solely a quantum PT user (especially when Bass Pro had a combo with that reel so you basically go a rod for $10) but they seemed to have issues to soon with bearings and anti-reverse so went to Abu STX's really great real but then I found that the SX seemed to actually be smoother and better casting that the STX and $50 or so cheaper went with them but the SX doesn't hold as much line capacity as the STX. So don't think you can go wrong with either but I am also slowly changing the SX's over to couple of different lews reels because them cast smoother than the SX's and seem to have line capacity more like the STX.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
+1 check Ebay can get them for under $150

Bought my last 2 for under $135 each. That was last month. BNIB each shipped. Coach
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/09/15 11:45 PM

Huge fan of Quantum myself. Never had any problems with them and they hold up pretty well. The Smoke series in particular I would go for as far as something you can really beat up. If you are looking for value I would check out the Quantum Energy. Both can be had for well under $200.
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 01:34 AM

I prefer the Revo's, not saying that they are better but its my preference. Started using them when they first came out, haven't had any issues, so why change? 7 of 10 of my bait casters are Revo's.
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 01:42 AM

I would suggest going to a store that carries the reels and play with the ones you are considering. Then purchase the one you like the most. You shouldn't purchase something based on what everybody else uses, after all you will be the one using it and should feel comfortable with it. I purchased a high end rod to remain nameless, thinking it would be the perfect rod. Needless to say I was very unimpressed. I could have bought 2 middle to high grade rods and came out cheaper and happier.
Posted By: Hitch

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 01:52 AM

Quantum over the revo all day.
Posted By: WeaponOfBassDestruction

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 05:09 AM

Lew's are great reels for the money, but also check out 13 fishing! They're reels are super nice!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 05:12 AM

The old Revo S reels were bullet proof, I have one I throw a spook on and its 8 years old and never had an issue.

I bought 3 of the new ones back in the summer, Walmart dot com had them for $83 a piece. I have not used them much, but them seem pretty nice.
Posted By: petro

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: steelcurtain
I'm in the market for a new reel and i have heard great things about both. I have about $175 - $250 to spend and i cant make up my mind on what to choose. (Texas rig, wacky, Carolina)

I have 2 lightly used revo premiere gen 2 i will let go for 250.00 have boxes. 6.3.1 ratio weigh about 5.5oz can send pics if you like
Posted By: Walker_wilson13

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 06:16 AM

Go get 2 of the new Shimano Casitas'... Best $120 I've ever spent period.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 01:40 PM

The Revo's that I have seem pretty solid....no complaints
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 03:57 PM

I'd get the Revo STX before any Quantum. Personal preference thing.

Lew's makes reels very similar in design and feel to the Revos, usually for a slightly cheaper price for comparable models.
Posted By: knotgood

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 04:00 PM

I only use Lews and Revos.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 04:26 PM

Which Quantum PT? "PT" = Performance Tuned, a feature that applies to a number of Quantum models.

I have Revo models, but do not personally own the STX. I have multiple Quantum EXO 200 reels, multiple Smoke 100 and 150 also. The EXO reels are amazing....nothing like the not-so-hot Quantum reputation of years ago that still lingers with some.

My opinion is that Revo STX is most like the Smoke 100 reels, after all they're both that iddy-biddy "100" size (that I'm not always a huge fan of). I consider the EXO to be better than Revo. To me, the 100 size should be limited to thin diameter lines (med. braid or 12# mono max). Long casts that deep spool those tiny spools wreck the gear ratio. Forget that 30+ inch per turn with half the line capacity off the spool! For instance, since I cast a Carolina rig so far, I use an EXO 200HPT (35" per turn) on that rod. That larger size contributes to the ultra-fast line take-up.

The Smoke 150 is my favorite size since it helps avoid deep-spooling (the 100) on long casts while keeping reel size modest, but the EXO quality is the best I own. I don't own any EXO 100 reels because I'm more fond of the 150 size offered in the Smoke lineup. I vote for the EXO choice, but suggest you look at Smoke to save $ and still get on par with Revo.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Which Quantum PT? "PT" = Performance Tuned, a feature that applies to a number of Quantum models.

I have Revo models, but do not personally own the STX. I have multiple Quantum EXO 200 reels, multiple Smoke 100 and 150 also. The EXO reels are amazing....nothing like the not-so-hot Quantum reputation of years ago that still lingers with some.

My opinion is that Revo STX is most like the Smoke 100 reels, after all they're both that iddy-biddy "100" size (that I'm not always a huge fan of). I consider the EXO to be better than Revo. To me, the 100 size should be limited to thin diameter lines (med. braid or 12# mono max). Long casts that deep spool those tiny spools wreck the gear ratio. Forget that 30+ inch per turn with half the line capacity off the spool! For instance, since I cast a Carolina rig so far, I use an EXO 200HPT (35" per turn) on that rod. That larger size contributes to the ultra-fast line take-up.

The Smoke 150 is my favorite size since it helps avoid deep-spooling (the 100) on long casts while keeping reel size modest, but the EXO quality is the best I own. I don't own any EXO 100 reels because I'm more fond of the 150 size offered in the Smoke lineup. I vote for the EXO choice, but suggest you look at Smoke to save $ and still get on par with Revo.

Gotta disagree on the "quality" of the EXO. Just fixed one for a customer that had opened the side plate and the spool dropped onto the boat and completely shattered the cheap crappy plastic they use to house the braking system on the spool. Never expected to see such poor quality (and designed) plastic on such an expensive reel. I wouldnt have even expected it to crack that bad if it was dropped on cement let alone some boat carpet... $30 for a new spool assembly was the only way to fix it too. I will say that Zebco ships parts pretty quick though.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 06:16 PM

A good fishing buddy of mine uses a Revo STX. Pitched it a couple times and it was pretty smooth. Didnt get to set a hook but liked the feel of it and its weight. Thats what i chose so anxious to get it in. Thanks for all you guys help. Now im going to try to talk the GF into buying me a Lews but i doubt that will happen.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 06:41 PM

Abu Garcia Revo Premier

I'd recommend that you save a few extra dollars and go with a Revo Premier. They're on a completely different level than any Quantum if you ask me. They're so much smoother and more durable than the high dollar (EXO PT and Tour MG) Quantum's. The Revo Premier is even on a different level compared to the Revo STX. I had too many problems with Quantum. Buy what you have confidence in.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 08:08 PM

If you have the need for speed I have two LNIB Quantum Speed Freaks FS for $250. Had them on my flipping rods but don't do any flipping in the ponds I now fish.
Posted By: nofish65

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 09:50 PM

I have several fairly new Quantum PT's that I would be willing to sell very reasonably! Call me at 903.530.1309 if your interested.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/10/15 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TOMCAT21

If you have the need for speed I have two LNIB Quantum Speed Freaks FS for $250. Had them on my flipping rods but don't do any flipping in the ponds I now fish.

As an FYI to Tomcat, you may have fished with Speed Freak spinning reels (Quantum FS), but you didn't "flip". By the traditional definition & "how-to" of the flipping technique, it's impossible to execute that technique without the use of a baitcast reel. Being able to thumb a spool in free-spool is an integral part of flipping, which can't be done with a spinning reel in any standard way.
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/11/15 03:54 AM

I fish with two Revo's, a quantum smoke, and several shimano reels. Out of all three the Revo is the best for the money imo. You can put just about any Abu reel through hell and back and have minimal issues from what I've experienced. Shimano makes a quality product as well. The smoke was the smoothest reel I've ever owned for about 2 months. After that I had a few issues but nothing too major. All in all, either of the 3 would serve you well.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/11/15 04:42 AM

As an FYI to Tomcat, you may have fished with Speed Freak spinning reels (Quantum FS), but you didn't "flip". By the traditional definition & "how-to" of the flipping technique, it's impossible to execute that technique without the use of a baitcast reel. Being able to thumb a spool in free-spool is an integral part of flipping, which can't be done with a spinning reel in any standard way.

FYI to Flipping-Out. They ARE baitcast reels. Quantum Speed Freak

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/11/15 05:09 PM

Just curious as to why you say that it is impossible?
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/11/15 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Nothing is impossible!!

Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/12/15 08:36 PM

Both make good reels. My biggest issue with the Quantum is it took a little to get it dialed in, but once you do it will cast a mile.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/12/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ifeliciano

Nothing is impossible!!

OMG! I guess if it's on You-Tube it's gotta be true? Do you not realize that guy is PITCHING the bait? His bail is OPEN so that line pays out as the lure moves toward a distant target.
He is providing an excellent description of PITCHING with a spinning rod, something that definitely can have advantages. (I was doing this on Lake Okeechobee 20 years ago.)

I admit I chose a bad way to describe part of flipping....the spool is usually engaged, but can be disengaged easily if more line is needed to allow a lure to drop deeper, or for a subsequent flip.

Flipping: Spool is engaged when the lure is presented, executed with a baitcast reel to easily allow adjustments in line out from cast to cast, or even after a lure has entered the water.
Pitching: Spool is not engaged when the lure is presented; the lure's momentum carries it much further as it can pull line from the spool as needed, executed with either baitcast or spinning reel.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/12/15 10:11 PM

Lews or shimano
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/12/15 11:58 PM

Just an FYI Cabela's are clearancing out last years Quantum Team KVD Reels at $59. These will usually run you $119. I would hit up your nearest Cabela's and just grab two of those guys.

Re: Quantum PT Vs. Abu Garcia Revo - 12/14/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ifeliciano

Nothing is impossible!!

OMG! I guess if it's on You-Tube it's gotta be true? Do you not realize that guy is PITCHING the bait? His bail is OPEN so that line pays out as the lure moves toward a distant target.
He is providing an excellent description of PITCHING with a spinning rod, something that definitely can have advantages. (I was doing this on Lake Okeechobee 20 years ago.)

I admit I chose a bad way to describe part of flipping....the spool is usually engaged, but can be disengaged easily if more line is needed to allow a lure to drop deeper, or for a subsequent flip.

Flipping: Spool is engaged when the lure is presented, executed with a baitcast reel to easily allow adjustments in line out from cast to cast, or even after a lure has entered the water.
Pitching: Spool is not engaged when the lure is presented; the lure's momentum carries it much further as it can pull line from the spool as needed, executed with either baitcast or spinning reel.

This is one of my pet peeves, saying flipping when you mean pitching. Even the guy making the video has the wrong title. But Flipping can still be done with a open face reel. Flipping is mostly up close and in heavy vegetation. But I will Flip, (line in hand) around boat docks with a wacky or drop shot at times, and if more line is needed, I'll just open the bail, let line out as needed. It can be done.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum