Texas Fishing Forum

Getting side scan leveled out

Posted By: John-Mark

Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 04:36 AM

Am I the only big guy out there? Lol
I have my structure scan sonar mounted level on the transom ... Well when I'm alone ... 75% of the time... My boat "leans" a little to the right haha
So when trolling around graphing I get a great right side image and [censored] on left side... Has anyone else set their structure scan off level to account for the lean? It's not a huge deal because I troll most of the time looking right anyways... But it would be nice to have equally as great an image on both left and right... However my right side image is so dead on I don't really wanna mess it up...
Guess I could always load a couple of cases of water on my left side storage haha
Just curious is all if anyone else has had this issue...
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 04:42 AM

Nope, never had that problem. Maybe you need to put heavier junk on the opposite side of the boat to balance it. It would ride better too.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 05:26 AM

are you sure it isn't your engine being trimmed down causing interference? my boat leans but the left view on my screen is always from the motor

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 05:50 AM

Hmm never thought of that? Gonna trim up next time out and report back
Thanks for the tip it is mounted to the right of the motor so that makes sense
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 02:37 PM

^^ yep I have to trim up if I plan on using the left side
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 05:42 PM

Buy a cheap angle finder and with your boat in the water with you at the helm. Measure and record your bow to stern angle, and your port to starboard angle. When you go home put the angle finder back on the boat and adjust your trailer until the angles match the recorded angles done on the water.

Once that is done, adjust your x-ducer to level.

Posted By: 1hoghunter

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 06:26 PM

Brilliant
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/09/15 07:17 PM

I guarantee you it's not the boat leaning causing the bad image. A slight angle like that wouldn't have a noticeable affect. Your engine or jackplate is probably interfering with the image if your transducer is on the right. You may have to lower the transducer.

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/10/15 04:35 AM

Reporting back I trimmed up 1/4 and boom perfect image
I could re mount but not a big deal.... Don't want more screw holes and it isn't any trouble
Thanks guys i thought from looking that it was far enough down but I always look at my boat outside the trimmed up but trimming it all the way down it just barely gets in the way...
Little touch on the trim and picture is great now
Again thanks simple fix!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/10/15 04:38 AM

Good Deal! Glad to hear you didn't have to change anything. Now, all you need is a jack plate, and you won't ever have to worry about it! wink

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/10/15 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Good Deal! Glad to hear you didn't have to change anything. Now, all you need is a jack plate, and you won't ever have to worry about it! wink

thumb
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Getting side scan leveled out - 12/10/15 05:14 AM

Glad to know it worked and you didn't have to take the drastic measure of losing weight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum