Texas Fishing Forum

December Lake Fork report

Posted By: Jay Kendrick

December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 12:26 AM

Hey everyone, here are a few patterns that have been working for me the last few weeks.
I've been starting every morning out on points, humps, deep drains and channel swings in 18-35 ft. Use your graph to locate balls of shad, you'll see big groups of sand bass and bar fish around these bait balls.. a lot of times the bass will be under them. These fish can be caught on chrome jigging spoons, Umbrella rigs with smash tech smash tail jr. swimbaits, and under spins with a jr. fluke, all in pearl white or shad imitating colors.
Another pattern that has been working well, especially on warm sunny days, has been running running a chatterbait or a lipless crankbait over the grass in the backs of pockets and creeks in 2-6 ft. The key is to keep the bait moving and ticking the top of the grass and ripping it out when it gets snagged, which is when a lot of your bites will come. Colors that have been working for me on the chatterbaits have been green pumpkin and white/chartruse with a matching smash tail jr. swimbait. On traps stick to red or sexy shad.

I've also been running some trips on lake welsh, where we have had plenty of 50+ fish days the last few months. I've been catching fish out there on smash tail jr. swimbaits in olive shad on a 1/8th oz belly weighted hook and a green pumpkin smash bug on a 1/4 oz texas rig pitched around grass points.

I have several dates in December open if you're looking to get out and catch some fish, and will be offering my $300 full day for the rest of the month.

Hope this helps you catch some like these on your next trip!

Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 12:28 AM

Is the hydrilla coming back?
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant

It's mostly coontail, though I have found a little bit of short hydrilla in a few places. Hopefully it stays alive and spreads! smile
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Jay Kendrick
Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant

It's mostly coontail, though I have found a little bit of short hydrilla in a few places. Hopefully it stays alive and spreads! smile

I dream of the day Fork has hydrilla again like it did 10 years ago.

Good report btw. Smash Tail Jr.'s don't work though...shhhh.
Posted By: Ole Yeller

Re: December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 02:02 AM

Great report!
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: December Lake Fork report - 12/09/15 04:00 AM

Spot on bubba and good fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum