Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek line question

Posted By: stratosman201

Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:09 AM

Been using 15lb Big Game on Squaw. That is usually my meat and potatoes line selection. Busted off too many fish lately in the nasty trees there. Also having too many fish become unbuttoned at the boat. I am setting the hook pretty hard on these fish, but think since they may be hitting on the backside of tree limbs, i am not getting the leverage to drive the hook in. I am considering using my 50lb Spiderwire braid. I feel like this will help my hook setting ability while also giving me a better chance of wrestling them out of cover. I have not done this yet since I am concerned the clarity of the water may cost me many bites due to the visibility of the braid. You see my dilemma....maybe a few less bites vs. more bites with a lower fish landing ratio. Do you think braid will cost me a bunch of bites.

Not a floro guy so don't want to go that way.

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Tired of the low fish landing ratio....I am not used to losing fish like this.

Mark
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:26 AM

If your flipping the middle of the trees braid won't hurt the bite. I use 20lb invisx and have lost fish but it was due to being lazy. Using 15lb has cost me this year fishing deep trees. I will stay with 20lb flouro and braid.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:36 AM

McCoys co-polymer is VERY tough, 17 lb. line should be like 25 lb. Flouro or braid and be very abrasion resistant
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:40 AM

I use 20 & 25lb seagar, I never have been a big fan of braid but do use it time to time during the right application.
Posted By: 521Rangerman

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:45 AM

I use Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon 20lb Line.You need to check your line after you catch a fish in the trees.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:45 AM

I flip with 65 power pro at sqauw. Works fine
Posted By: stratosman201

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:59 AM

Thanks for all of the input...Rangerman, I always check my line. Definitely re-tie on almost every fish. Think I will break out the braid on the McNasty trees.

Tight Lines,
Mark
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 01:01 AM

20-25lb seaguar fluorocarbon or 20-25lb big game
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 01:05 AM

20lb flouro for me......BPS style.
Posted By: Aggie34

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 01:48 AM

I've grown up on squaw and have fished most lines. I agree that 20lb fluro is a great choice but I usually use 30-40lb power pro. Plenty strong even for that stuff and will cast a mile
Posted By: lunker777

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 12:54 PM

Love the InvizX Flouro in 20lb, used to flip braid in the trees and yes it helps with the hookset it seems to cut into the trees more and therefore seem to hang up more when the fish pull back, just my .02 cents. Good luck
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 01:33 PM

I use 17 - 20lb, Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. Not been an issue, but you do need to check the line occasionally.
Posted By: jimmye123

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 03:03 PM

15 lb. For me, but I would love some 17 lb, but it does get bit less the bigger u go, I promise. .. 15 works u will loose a few, but not many,... braid u will not get near as many bites... period
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 06:16 PM

20 lb P-line should fix your problem. and constantly keep checking your line for bad spots
Posted By: Jeremyworm

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 07:29 PM

17 or 20# P-line CXX Copolymer. Very tough line that is hard to break off when you are trying to break it. Memory is not that great but should solve your issue.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/09/15 08:40 PM

I have a hard time fishing Squaw with anything less than 20 lb test. Fluoro or Mono. The only exception may be a deep crankbait.
Posted By: rugud2go

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/10/15 02:02 AM

Squaw fish are just plain mean...! The fish coming unbuttoned is most likely the amount of stretch in the line between you and the fish during the hook set. Personally, I would do a cpl things fishing w/mono that you prob wouldn't do normally.

1.You could always let the fish help take up the slack line before setting the hook
2. Limit the amount of slack you put between you and your target.
3. Move up in rod power to apply more pressure setting the hook
4. Move to a lighter wire hook using the setup your using now. Takes less pressure for the hook to penetrate
5. If you're using thinner wire hooks then back the drag off. Your most likely ripping the hook out.

If you decide to go with braid then drop down on rod power to make up for the loss of stretch.

I use 30 lb Suffix braid on top waters. I have retired 15 lb Invizx and live w/the break offs on 17 lb. I've tried 20 lb. Let's just say the amount of bites you get does diminish the heavier you go.

Hope this helps...
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/10/15 02:15 AM

I might have to try braid on squaw. I fished a tournament this weekend, and broke off an 8+ pounder (we saw it). I was using 20 lb. fluorocarbon on a heavy rod. The problem is the line rubbing on the tree. I re-tie often and check my line. Does anyone else have problems with heavy fluorocarbon on Squaw? I see people like to use 20 lb. invisx; I have been using sunline sniper. I feel like even 30 lb. fluoro would have problems.
Posted By: REAL ESTATE MAN

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/10/15 05:07 PM

Good Read! 17-20 Fluro has been working for me so far.
Posted By: C_Fisher

Re: Squaw Creek line question - 12/10/15 05:46 PM

To all the guys fishing the fish-n-chips this weekend, all you need is 8-12 lb mono!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum