Texas Fishing Forum

Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites

Posted By: slim 285

Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/07/15 09:40 PM

Kind of a sad day seeing that the ole Zell will not be fishing the elites with BASS. I fished as a co-angler with him once. Don't know if you would ever find a better person to spend a day in a boat with. He has a down fall like a lot of older guys have. The day I fished with him it was at least five times he went to pull into spot and if someone was there he would not go in on them.
Hopefully he can fish FLW and the BASS opens
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/07/15 10:32 PM

Why even post something like that? My friend said.....

If you actually saw it yourself it would be different.

I have been told a lot in my life that isn't anywhere close to the truth.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/07/15 10:45 PM

Yall know everything, I know nothing sorry to ruffle anyones feathers so I deleted. Guy had no reason to lie to me. A guy my dads age that I became good friends with after I quit dating his stepdaughter. Nice for a local guy to put me down too, thanks.

These boards are getting ridiculous, 2cool getting just like this. I quit posting on there, this one is next I guess now. Geez.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/07/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Kisndismis
Yall know everything, I know nothing sorry to ruffle anyones feathers so I deleted. Guy had no reason to lie to me. A guy my dads age that I became good friends with after I quit dating his stepdaughter. Nice for a local guy to put me down too, thanks.

These boards are getting ridiculous, 2cool getting just like this. I quit posting on there, this one is next I guess now. Geez.

But it was hearsay (rumors) about a couple of well respected men.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 03:50 AM

Guess I missed something. hammer

Big fan of Zell..
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 03:59 AM

Sad to see him go, but it's time to open up that spot for a new guy looking to make a career in this sport!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 04:20 AM

frown
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: fishnfireman
Guess I missed something. hammer

Big fan of Zell..
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 03:49 PM

I must have missed something myself.

I've had the chance to sit and visit with Zell a number of times over the years. He's a quality guy that has does it the right way.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:10 PM

He was on the Ranger fishing team back in the day when I worked for Texas Marine in Beaumont and he came to several demo days and seminars and he was a awesome guy to be around. He had no problem sharing his knowledge with anyone and was just a pleasure to be around. I root for him in every tournament Pop R king!
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:13 PM

Sad to see Zell out. I always root for the old school guys.

I also didn't see Mike Kernan on the list, guess he's out too?
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:13 PM

Here is more on who's in and out on the Elites this year...link
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:32 PM

For those that must have missed something, there have been some posts removed from this thread, that is why some of it does not make sense.
Posted By: Skeeter_1

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:40 PM

Zell and Mike Kernan both are fishing the FLW Tour. Zell is out because he didn't qualify for the Elites for the 2016 season. Mike Kernan chose to fish FLW instead of the Elites.

Its for sure a sad day when you see a legend like Zell who is a dear friend of mine not fishing the ELites after fishing them for the last 30 something years. He has paid in almost $1.5 million dollars in entry fees in his lifetime to Bass and for them to say he's out is just wrong. But on the flip side of things if you never make room for upcoming anglers who want to get in and qualified there will never be any room for them either. Its just wrong how they went about doing what they did to Zell. I wish Zell and Mike both nothing but great success in FLW.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 06:47 PM

I got to listen to him at a seminar one time and talked with him briefly as well. Nice guy and seemed like a class act. I would have to bet he's the best topwater fisherman out there. He can catch them on a pop R anytime of the year.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter_1
Zell and Mike Kernan both are fishing the FLW Tour. Zell is out because he didn't qualify for the Elites for the 2016 season. Mike Kernan chose to fish FLW instead of the Elites.

Its for sure a sad day when you see a legend like Zell who is a dear friend of mine not fishing the ELites after fishing them for the last 30 something years. He has paid in almost $1.5 million dollars in entry fees in his lifetime to Bass and for them to say he's out is just wrong. But on the flip side of things if you never make room for upcoming anglers who want to get in and qualified there will never be any room for them either. Its just wrong how they went about doing what they did to Zell. I wish Zell and Mike both nothing but great success in FLW.

They have had the qualifying system in place for several years. I sure don't blame BASS and as a matter of fact I applaud them. It is that simple , if you do not catch them and there is somebody that wants your spot your out. And don't get me wrong . I am a big fan of Zell Rowland.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 07:29 PM

They started using this format last year, the bottom anglers get culled out, its dog eat dog but I like it.

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

How To Qualify For The Elite Series

71 2014 Angler of the Year Points Rank

15 Top 5 In Points Three Opens Divisions

5 2014 Rookies Not Otherwise Qualified

1 B.A.S.S. Nation Championship Divisional Leader

[Note: Any openings created by declines in the above group will be filled by working down the 2014 AOY Points list, starting at No. 72.]

16 Highest Average Career AOY Rankings, With Lowest Finish Dropped

108 Total

[If any of the above 16 anglers declines to participate, they will be replaced by working down the Average AOY list.]

5 Hardship Exemptions

1 2015 Classic Champion Not Already Qualified

114 Potential Total Field Size

[Any declines among Hardship Exempt anglers will not be filled. Nor will the Classic slot be filled if the winner is already qualified.]

Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 08:20 PM

Is this going to turn into a "everybody gets a ribbon" post, too?

I don't care if he's paid $10million in entry fees to BASS events. He didn't qualify per their standards. He's out. The qualification system is there to weed out the ones that can't cut it. Apparently he can't cut it. Maybe he can re-qualify next year if that's his goal.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 10:19 PM

For those posting they are sad when a class act mainstay does not qualify: I feel you. For those saying its wrong: is it not still called COMPETITIVE FISHING?
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 10:32 PM

I studied Zell to get down my topwater bite and to me he is a LEGEND. He started in this game even before I did back in the 80's and he is one of the reasons I chose to play this game of tournament fishing. He may have a better chance in FLW, but I still hate to see him leave BASS........
Posted By: snickers

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/08/15 10:35 PM

Bass kicked him to the curb. Them BASSturds
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 12:08 AM

Rick Clunn never meets the qualifying criteria.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 12:49 AM

I'm sure clunn qaulifies on career aoy finishes
Posted By: Tubby

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: M Wyatt

Yes he does. AOY average.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Tubby

Tubby this is interesting . Zell finished in front of Clunn.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 01:16 AM

It is career avg. Aoy finish
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 01:54 AM

They have some good adds for 2016. Clausen, LeFebre, Avena,

It's a little stronger field. Zell seems like one of those old school guys that isn't adapting to the new level of competition with the electronics, new techniques, etc. Its been years since he won in BASS. They are trying to keep it "Elite" with their qualifying rules albeit they haven't been very consistent.

That doesn't mean he isn't a nice guy or a great fisherman. He just hasn't got it done the last several years. I met him a couple of times at a Taxidermist, Al Hillmeyer, that lived around the corner from me. Always a nice guy. Al painted some custom colors on baits for Zell.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 04:04 AM

No Charlie Hartley either

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 01:32 PM

Maybe Zell chose not to fish BASS. Many of last years Elite moved to FLW for various reasons.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285

Tubby this is interesting . Zell finished in front of Clunn.

Interesting also, is how you would know this. You would have to know all of their statistics starting from their first tournament.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 02:57 PM

Tubby I am not wanting to get in a pissing match . I just said it was interesting that Zell finished in front of Clunn. And I thought they qualified by current AOY standings.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 03:08 PM

I'm confused to why it matters? If I have to qualify to fish, so should everyone else. If you make exceptions for one, you must for all. If he just decided to not fish, then it was his decision.

P.S. FLW is a lot cheaper to fish, and it only requires paying your entry fees.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
Tubby I am not wanting to get in a pissing match . I just said it was interesting that Zell finished in front of Clunn. And I thought they qualified by current AOY standings.

Neither am I Slim. Just bringing it to everyone's attention as to how BASS has provisions set to,try and keep the"old guys" that are Legends in the game. It is to overcome one having a bad year and getting knocked out.
The fishing industry as a whole need the guys to continue to promote bass fishing. Their AOY averages go back so many years that averaging almost guarantees them a spot. I for one think it is good as even the best can have a bad year. If my words came across wrong, I apologize. One of the things printed words can do is not show your true emotions of words stated.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter_1

Here's the skinny straight up about Zell, he and Skeeter are pretty close I know that for sure....
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 10:13 PM

Zell was fishing both tours until last year he just did BASS, so he is already comfortable with the FLW series. I drew Zell in 2014 and such a great guy.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 11:02 PM

Very tough for me to see one my fishing Heros be the poster child for B.A.S.S.' new qualifying structure. He didn't qualify but dang, he's one of the legends who helped build this sport. If guys like Zell, Clunn, and Elias can pay the entry fees, BASS should expand their field and pay more to the top 50 with the additional entry fees. BASS wants new blood coming up from the Opens, etc. If most of those guys accept their invitations to fish the Elites, someone's gotta go.

I can certainly appreciate the business side for BASS. And it's a great thing for the young guys that want to try the move up. Though I fear many of them won't have the sponsor backing to make it past season 2 unless they really light it up. Meanwhile, BASS will have disposed of a bunch of guys who helped to build them.

I enjoy watching all past winners of The Masters teeing it up with all the young studs. I wish BASS felt the same way about the Elite Series. Add 10 spots for the first guys out on AOY stats with at least 20 years fishing at the highest levels of BASS. If any of those 10 decline to fish, those spots could remain unfilled or BASS could move down the list. Just blowing hot air out my backside. It's their business and their prerogative to run it their way.

Just seems to me there could be a better way that would put more $ and exposure into the top 50's coffers while maintaining participation from some of the anglers with stellar careers, significant contributions to the sport and longevity.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/09/15 11:09 PM

Tubby you are right . Clunn finished high enough on the career aoy list to get in and Rowland did not. This is per BassFan

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

I enjoy watching all past winners of The Masters teeing it up with all the young studs. I wish BASS felt the same way about the Elite Series.
But that is just for one event not the entire tour schedule, although I agree it would be kinda cool to see past champions provisionals for one event like BASSfest, however while he won some tour events Zell never did win AOY or the classic.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 12:44 AM

Clunn, Zell, and similar others still consume the limited sponsorship dollars going towards entry fees and tour expenses which ideally would go to someone more competitive. I may be in the minority but I want to see the best fishing the Elites with performance based pressure to perform (i.e. - catching bass). I understand that the tours and sponsors have a lot invested in some these pros and it will go to waste with them on the sidelines relative to tournament fishing.

There are several guys just here in Texas worthy of a shot that are hungry, deserving (previously qualified or could) that would bust their a55 to make it that would greatly benefit from adequate sponsorship. Enough with the guys (especially Clunn) that have either lost it or no longer put forth the effort. There is no reason to beat me up on Clunn as he has been a favorite of mine for 30+ years.
Posted By: whybass

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 12:48 AM

just a dumb question. if kvd didn't qualify think bass would kick him out

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 12:59 AM

To answer Bill25's question the answer is: No, because the qualification process is designed to keep the highest performers around for years through exemptions and AOY standing averages. It makes sense to a degree but Joe Montana, Steve Young and Bret Favre are no longer in the NFL either.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 01:29 AM

It is what it is. If u dont like the rules of Bass u prolly dont like any sports college and up. Those are more ruthless. He had a good run and seems to be a great person. Wish him the best of luck.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 01:34 AM

Mr. Gilmore, don't know you nor you me. But you speak the cold, hard truth on this subject. That's the 'business side' I mentioned. In the end, that bottom line almost always prevails over other considerations. Thanks for being a straight shooter, sir. fouz

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Neal Gilmore
To answer Bill25's question the answer is: No, because the qualification process is designed to keep the highest performers around for years through exemptions and AOY standing averages. It makes sense to a degree but Joe Montana, Steve Young and Bret Favre are no longer in the NFL either.

Wrong, if he didn't meet any of the qaulifications he would be out. The career aoy standings is a way to qaulify. I think he can meet that standard for a long time.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 02:04 AM

I herd Johnny Morris was looking a buying BASS.

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/10/15 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bill25
just a dumb question. if kvd didn't qualify think bass would kick him out
go re-read post #11270239, KVD is safe for a good while based on average AOY standing but if finishes poorly for several years in a row even he could be in jeopardy, same with Clunn, elites series qualification is based on performance, as it should be.
Posted By: Zaldy

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/12/15 03:04 PM

Got a call from the Topwater Technician himself. Best of luck down the road, Z-Row!
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/12/15 05:56 PM

Great post Chris, good luck next year. You had a good 2015 thumb keep it rolling...

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/18/15 01:49 AM

Something new to read relative to Rick Clunn: Is Rick Clunn done?
http://www.bassmaster.com/news/rick-clunn-done
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Zell Rowland not fishing BASS elites - 12/18/15 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal Gilmore
Something new to read relative to Rick Clunn: Is Rick Clunn done?
http://www.bassmaster.com/news/rick-clunn-done

hard hitting article, but very good.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum