Texas Fishing Forum

How to get the condensation out of your boxes

Posted By: LunkersTV

How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 12:59 AM

Been chewing on this for a little bit and finally came up with a solution on getting this water out of the plastic boxes. Got tired of my baits getting all messed up from opening the box when it was raining and such.

Posted By: slim 285

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 01:27 AM

What the heck.I spend money to buy water proof boxes for a reason. If I fish in the rain and get moisture in one when I get home I open it and let it dry.

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 02:03 AM

I tend to put my crank baits away when they are wet and I was noticing some rust build up due to no ventilation? Idk thought this might help with that
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 02:33 AM

I'm with Slim285 on this one. I just open up all my compartments and boxes that I used while I was out fishing in the rain. I also have a 36" shop fan I place at the back of my boat and turn it on high. The fan gets the boat and tackle dry in about one hour.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 02:43 AM

I don't know. I left mine empty and all compartments open for 4 days and some of the compartment carpet lining is still wet from last weekends rains. But, then again, I fished in it continuously for both day last weekend. It was soaked.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 03:02 AM

I don't want to expose the containers to more moisture. I also don't want to take them out and open them to dry out every time that I am done. Most of my moisture comes from putting a lure in while still wet and rust occurs. I have gotten into the habit of cutting the lure off and laying it ont he deck until it dries when I change lures. You could also look at putting the silica gel packs in the cases to absorb moisture. If I fish in the rain and they get soaked inside, I dump them let them dry and replace the lures.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 03:46 AM

My boxes don't get wet, I keep them in the storage compartments.
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 04:08 AM

I use desiccant/silica gel packs. I have different size bags. After about three months of use, I throw them in low temp oven to restore.

Restoring Silica Gel Packs
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 05:43 AM

. . .just buy the boxes with the holes in them already. . .
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 12:02 PM

Drill holes

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 04:58 PM

I need to include chill pills in these posts. I enjoy the TFF but like I mentioned it works well after you put your wet crank baits in there. Will prevent them from rusting
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 08:06 PM

you can please some of the people some of the times, but you can't please all of the people all the time...
I like the video,..gives me an option, whether I use it or not is my choice,..I like your vids..
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/07/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey
Drill holes

Maybe watch the vid before commenting.

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/08/15 05:14 PM

Does this trick work really well? I like the fact you can actually retire the gel packs and re use them. Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted By: ifeliciano
I use desiccant/silica gel packs. I have different size bags. After about three months of use, I throw them in low temp oven to restore.

Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/08/15 05:58 PM

I keep small pill bottle silica capsules in my hook box no rust since
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/08/15 08:32 PM

I think I might make me a rainy day box and drill holes in it. This would drain water out of the box and when I got home I'd only need to dry out one box.
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/08/15 11:23 PM

I read somewhere to put some rice in your boxes to help with condensation. Personally I have put a water logged phone in a bowl of rice and it helped pull to moisture out and was able to use phone a day or two later. Has anyone one tested the rice theory in their tackle boxes?
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/08/15 11:45 PM

I have a piece of cork in most of my boxes to help absorb moisture. Extra in my terminal tackle boxes. Im not going to say it's 100% the best solution, but I do believe it helps quite a bit.. and I haven't had to replace the cork or worry about it losing its effectiveness since I stuck them in there.
Posted By: wishn4fishn

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/09/15 12:11 AM

I use a combination of a lot of these ideas... Use the gel packs...and the dry tubs if I get soaked bad... Just leave them in my compartments and dry em in the oven every now and then... Use the water tight (they aren't waterproof) boxes and even use the rust inhibitors..

You can get the sponge rust inhibitor strips that actually fit in your tackle box... So far they really help and actually stopped some rusting that I was having

I also like your vids... Good ideas create more good ideas and that's why I've always like this site...!

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/09/15 01:48 AM

I would have never thought there were this many different ways to get it out of the boxes. Im going to have to try a combination of some of these I'm reading. Thanks
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: How to get the condensation out of your boxes - 12/09/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: LunkersTV
Does this trick work really well? I like the fact you can actually retire the gel packs and re use them. Thanks for the tip

Robert.

They have worked for me in moist conditions and have seen them dry out condensation. Have not had the opportunity to test in drenching wet condition, since I don't usually fish when its raining very hard. Also, I don't put wet lures back in the tackle boxes, they all go in a small plastic basket until I get home.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum