Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing BIG Swim Baits

Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 07:17 AM

I've decide that 2016 will be the year for me to fish the BIG swim and glide baits. I've already purchased a Dobbyn's swim bait rod, Lews HD reel, some Huddleston's, MattLures and some larger (1oz)swim jigs and spinner baits. I believe there is no way that it can only work on the West Coast, and the lakes I fish have seen it all, so I'm gonna show'em something new. It cant hurt, other than my wallet, to try it out. I'm out of country right now, but will be back in February, then its game on. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 01:39 PM

Lots of guys have been throwing big swimbaits in Texas for over 10 years. There's a time and place for everything
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 01:43 PM

Hope you're a patient fisherman
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 01:52 PM

I know a guy who went to fork and thru a 10" swim bait for two days, over 14 hrs of fishing time and he got 1 bite. The fish weighed 11 and change.
Posted By: NathanD

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 03:35 PM

I have some big swimbaits I used up north for northern pike and I didn't get many bites, but when I did they were usually double digit and over 36". I don't have the confidence to throw them down here yet because I fish so little with working all the time that I just want to catch fish of any size when I do make it out. I have the MattLures, Huddlestons, and another good one is Little Creeper Trash Fish. The 6" is on sale now at Bass Tackle Depot for just under $10 for 2.

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 03:40 PM

Everything you guys are saying is pretty much what they all say about it. When you do get that bite, its usually a big one.

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/06/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: dunha1n
I have some big swimbaits I used up north for northern pike and I didn't get many bites, but when I did they were usually double digit and over 36". I don't have the confidence to throw them down here yet because I fish so little with working all the time that I just want to catch fish of any size when I do make it out. I have the MattLures, Huddlestons, and another good one is Little Creeper Trash Fish. The 6" is on sale now at Bass Tackle Depot for just under $10 for 2.

Same with me, I'm actually in Kuwait working right now. I have to split my time evenly between my wife, and work. I'll check those baits out too, thanks!
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 01:50 AM

When you decide to fish them, leave all you other baits at the house. If you don't, you will put the big bait down and go back to you confident lures. You might get a bite your first time out, or it might take 3,4,5 trips before you get a taker. They have a time and a place. Good luck
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 01:53 AM

Tons of great videos and tips on Google and YouTube.
Posted By: stroker46

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 03:47 AM

Water clarity is the x factor! Good luck!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
I know a guy who went to fork and thru a 10" swim bait for two days, over 14 hrs of fishing time and he got 1 bite. The fish weighed 11 and change.

Two days of fishing for me would be 22 hours....LOL
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 05:05 PM

I started a little over a year ago. Belton I can tell you the BIG hybrids love em lol. Stillhouse is probably a better destination but lake Austin would be my pick for a Centex swim baiting maybe Fayette or Decker too.

I'm currently in FL and it works here too. grin

As for leaving the other gear at home maybe not a good idea at first it can be exhausting at first and a little break now and again can work wonders. Some days you no bites other days the 2 pounders will try their dandiest to eat that big meal. Just gotta stay on point and be ready for the big bite.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Fishing BIG Swim Baits - 12/07/15 07:21 PM

Check out Micky Ellis on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/316lureco/videos

He makes some incredible swimbaits and has some good videos out there as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum