Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Falcon Hazards

Posted By: BToombs

Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 02:52 AM

Heading to Falcon in Feb and looking to fish the Mexico side around the submerged church. Does anyone know of running hazards like submerged concrete, roads or anything else I should be concerned about? Any tips would be helpful too.

Thanks
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 03:34 AM

Fish back there a bunch you have to look at depth more than anything because the water can get skiiny quick and thats rock on the bottom and don't run to close to the south bank. there is timber back there but it all depends on the water level.
Posted By: Phil Clark

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 08:14 AM

I am a truck driver and just drove through Zapata and the lake looked full to me
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 11:50 AM

The lake is 17 feet low. I was there in Nov and we fished the Salado 1 day. As stated above there is timber in the center of the creek just past the fish camp. The only other hazards are gill nets. Most are marked with jugs, but not all. We caught a lot of small fish in there, but did not get on the larger fish. Good luck
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 01:09 PM

The church is currently far from being submerged. It does not have any water anywhere close to it at this level. You can fish the river channel and a bit of the old town in the general vicinity.

There is the old school building very near the river channel, an "L" shaped building to the west of the channel. The roof is a couple of feet out of the water right now I would think..

Who knows what Feb might bring as far as water levels.. Across the river from the church are some awesome creeks when the spawn rolls around with some tanks and all kinds of assorted cover. Depending on water level it may be good.. Once you get past Elephant Rocks the channel narrows and caution needs to be used.. But you can go for a long way up there picking your way thru the standing willows.. (dead)

Unless you just want to see the church there will be plenty of places with easier access to fish..

But who knows.. Maybe we'll have more water by then..

Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/06/15 01:25 PM

I haven't seen that area since 2009, the water level was just 3 to 5 ft below the marker poles then, you could run just about anywhere up there then.

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 04:45 AM

I appreciate all the feedback. Looking forward to my trip in Feb.
Posted By: lare2

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 03:31 PM

A friend went fishing on Saturday Dec 5 and was fishing the Burro Creek which is Marker 8 on the Mexican side and they were approached by supposedly Mexican Federales on a beat up Nitro Boat wearing black ski masks with machine guns. They asked him what was he doing and if he had any weapons. That is all they want it they did not ask for money or anything else. Just be safe and if you are fishing the Mexican side make sure you have all paper work handy from boat registration and mexican fishing license. If you dont have a mexican fishing license stop by Falcon Lake and Tackle and get one.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 04:40 PM

December 5th:
A couple of the boats in our party was stopped and boarded by "Federales", some with identify credentials some not,,, but with machine guns. Asked for fishing license then left. One boat was completely searched.
make sure you have the Mexican version & don't be on the Mexico side anywhere near dark.
On the American side we saw lots of Boarder Patrol but they did not check us.......just messed up our fishing spots
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 06:17 PM

Fish near these guys:

Posted By: BigBassLaredo

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 07:10 PM

I got stopped on the mexican side in front of the coyote contruction and they inspect my boat and search for guns or drugs I think, they did not ask for any ID or fishing permit, but we got a hell of scare when they approach us with the machine guns... be safe !!!

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 07:55 PM

So carrying my sidearm for protection would not be advised? I have been to Falcon twice this year and only ventured over close to the dam, but not far. I do plan on heading up north and into creeks in Feb, so I appreciate the feedback.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BToombs
So carrying my sidearm for protection would not be advised?

If you've already been to Falcon twice this year, you should know the answer. Assuming you're asking about carrying your sidearm in Mexico, the answer is HE77 NO! Provided you aren't killed by automatic gunfire, you'll be in a Mexican jail for a loooooong time if you get caught with your sidearm in Mexican waters. That's if your stopped by gubment folks. If it's bad guys in Mexico, the outcome could be worse than death.

Seriously, if you feel like you need to carry at Falcon Lake, then stay on the Texas side at all times.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/07/15 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Jerry
Fish near these guys:

Living in fear of your own shadow is a horrible thing. It's been said a thousand times on here, you're more likely to encounter crime on Fork than you are on Falcon.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
Fish near these guys:

Living in fear of your own shadow is a horrible thing. It's been said a thousand times on here, you're more likely to encounter crime on Fork than you are on Falcon.

Really? I've been on Fork many times, and I have yet to be stopped by anyone carrying a machine gun. I bet you have no statistics to back you claim.
Posted By: charlie haralson

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 02:47 AM

Unlike Fork, half of Falcon is in another country!!!!! Follow their laws and rules. If you can't , won't or refuse than you might find yourself in a bad situation.
Posted By: charlie haralson

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 02:51 AM

My brother has had that old nitro aproach him several times. He said they looked through his boat as well. Each time he said they were nice. He never saw any masks.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 04:05 AM

So now they are patrolling on both sides of the lake, sounds a little safer to me. I spoke to one of the people who was approached today and he said they were nice as Charlie stated. The person and I have been down there a lot since Spring of 1999 and neither of us have ever seen a patrol boat so he was a little caught off guard.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
Fish near these guys:

Really? I've been on Fork many times, and I have yet to be stopped by anyone carrying a machine gun. I bet you have no statistics to back you claim.

Getting stopped by police with a machine gun isn't exactly crime, now is it? If you think it is then maybe you should stay out of other people's countries.

No I don't have statistics on the crime at either lake, I have common sense. Fork is a populated lake, there is constant theft at the ramps and the homes around the lake. Look it up of for some reason you don't believe it. Very few people live on Falcon, and WAY WAY fewer fish it. Of course there is less crime there.

A tiny morsel of common sense goes a very long way.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Lake Falcon Hazards - 12/08/15 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie haralson
Unlike Fork, half of Falcon is in another country!!!!! Follow their laws and rules. If you can't , won't or refuse than you might find yourself in a bad situation.

Like Charlie, I have fished this lake since the 1980's and agree with his quoted text.

Debra
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum