Texas Fishing Forum

Which Helmet

Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Which Helmet - 12/03/15 02:50 PM

Looking for a full face shield helmet for winter boat rides and was looking for suggestions on what others were wearing.
I have a Save Phace but its not getting the job done. I wear glasses and I cant keep it from fogging on cold days.
I actually found a snowmobile helmet on Amazon that I'm looking at which has a neck gaiter built in.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 03:11 PM

That snowmobile helmet sounds like a winner. I've found that $50-$100 motorcycle helmets work great. I don't ride bikes so I don't know what a "good" brand helmet is, I just got the first good looking one on the shelf at a bike shop in that price range and I love it.

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 03:15 PM

Yeah, I don't want to spend a ton, but I do want something that's fairly light and since I'm not going to be on the road with it I don't care about the DOT or safety ratings.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:26 PM

I've got a pretty good one. I wear glasses and it slides on over them. I don't remember the name of it, but I can look at it tonight. I also use it fairly regularly due to having allergies. The less wind that enters my eyes, the better. It is only a face mask and not a full helmet so I have to turn my ball cap around or wear a beanie.

On another note, have you ever tried using dish soap to clean your face mask and glasses? That is supposed to prevent either from fogging. You might give that a try if your current one is comfortable and fits your bill.
Posted By: MV

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Looking for a full face shield helmet for winter boat rides and was looking for suggestions on what others were wearing.
I have a Save Phace but its not getting the job done. I wear glasses and I cant keep it from fogging on cold days.
I actually found a snowmobile helmet on Amazon that I'm looking at which has a neck gaiter built in.

www.firstplaceparts.com look at their balaclavas. your limited with a helmet. with one of these you can wear while your fishing or other cold weather activity and stay warm
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:40 PM

I bought the cheapest helmet I could find and it works fine. No air leaks so you're still warm when you get to your spot.

Here are a few I found with just a quick search on eBay:

Helmet 1

Helmet 2

Helmet 3
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:41 PM

These are cool!

Posted By: Allison1

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:45 PM

I used to use a knitted hunting balaclava with a felt area over the face. Felt blocks all the air and if you find one with little slots for eyes and another small one for the mouth it should be good. Follow that up with a decent pair of ski goggles and you are good to go.
The better goggles allow air in the side to keep it from fogging.

That along with my Cabelas rain gear and I can sit for over an hour at 70 mph without feeling cold. Lake of the Ozarks for a BASS Invitational and I was impressed.

The boat I drive now does not require any real head gear. Its the best at wind protection.
Several years at a Bass Champs event on Cedar Creek I noticed everyone wearing all their cold weather stuff. I wore a light jacket.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
These are cool!

Lol damn that's disturbing.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 07:05 PM

Get a Shoei. Haha.

Just kidding. Anything cheap will work. Go to harbor freight and get a cheap, full coverage welding helmet. Take out the tinted glass piece. Then, at least, you won't look like a stunt driver driving a Nissan Altima. Ooops no mean boat.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 07:37 PM

I have several Fulmer Helmets for sale 40% off here in Lufkin. HJC, Icon, Zox are good brands for the money. With motorcycle helmets you pay for the confort after about 100$. Shoei helmets are probably the best, however you pay for it.
Posted By: Piper

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 08:15 PM

I wear a fur lined bomber cap that covers your ears and motox gooogles............works great !!
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 08:33 PM

Take a look at snowmobile helmets - they deal with fogging up face plates and take a look at the ones that the part over your chin and the visor flip up - keeps the wind from getting under it - several of them on amazon for less than $100.
Posted By: Ferrell

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 08:46 PM

Get online and find a decent quality motorcycle helmet, Amazon will give you some good options. I Like the kind that the face mask folds up. Makes it easier to put on/take off with glasses.

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 09:04 PM

This is what I'm looking at.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Which Helmet - 12/03/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
This is what I'm looking at.

That sucker looks warm!
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Which Helmet - 12/04/15 01:26 PM

I like the look of that thing Danny.....thanks for sharing!

Re: Which Helmet - 12/04/15 02:44 PM

I'm going to place an order for the snowmobile helmet. I will report back after I have a chance to use it.
Thanks for the comments.
Posted By: Big Worm78

Re: Which Helmet - 12/04/15 06:03 PM

Pawn shop. Bought last two there for 30-40 each.
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: Which Helmet - 12/04/15 06:28 PM

i got a cheap one off ebay for like 28$ shipped, just need it to block wind not protect the noodle
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum