Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon in Jan?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 02:33 PM

Need some advice fellas.

Some friends and I are trying to put together a little trip for a few yakkers and some pond boat guys to fish Falcon.

We were looking at Jan as the time-frame.

Is that a good month to go? We are not going to be wasting our time going down that time of year right? What kind of water temps would you expect in Jan? Would the fish usually be pre-spawn or??

Thanks fellas, an help is appreciated.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 02:49 PM

Fish will be getting in the pre spawn/ spawn mode. There can be some strong North winds down there just like any lake that time of year. If your fishing from a yak, I would focus on the Valeno. There are several place you can stay and walk down to the bank to put in the water such as the Holiday Inn.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 03:02 PM

I fished one year between Christmas and New years and the fished had already spawned at least one time that year. So you could find fish in all stages. One thing that has been reported this year is the fished stayed shallow all summer and did not seen to move out to the deep water like in past year cycles. So fish the shallow water for sure.

Like said before... Winter conditons, cold fronts will make a day to day difference. If you are going for a week of fishing, then your chances of finding fish are much better. Than again you might find them the first day and then the weather changes and you will work real hard to find them again. I guess that is why they call it fishing?

A great place to yak is in the Tigers. Lots of places to fish and get out of the wind. So drive south is you are staying in Zapata and look for the Tiger Island sign, drive about 3.5 miles to the fish camp. Pay three dollars per person per day and launch in a safe place to park.

Good luck.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 04:16 PM

Good stuff guys. That helps thanks.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 05:16 PM

Can you still launch a yak at the Tigers? Last time I was there the gates down inside the camp were chained and locked. It was almost like the home owners didn't want the traffic anymore. Just curious.

Everytime we took our yaks down there, we stayed at Oso. We pushed the beds over and drug the yaks inside at night to prevent any dishonest people from making a bad decision. We also asked for the rooms on the front side so our vehicles were in the light. With the water up you can launch right there at Oso and there is lot's of good fishing right in that area. Over the years that area produced all sorts of 6 to 10lb fish for us. If the Tigers is open, that is a bit more protected for a kayaker I believe and is thick with timber/brush to flip (at least it was several years ago when I was there last).
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal
Can you still launch a yak at the Tigers? Last time I was there the gates down inside the camp were chained and locked. It was almost like the home owners didn't want the traffic anymore. Just curious.

That would be a shame. Loved fishing in Tigers
Posted By: Lost in Space

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 10:39 PM

You might check out the cabins at Beacon Lodge/Campground. Very affordable, good launch with some great, even protected, areas within paddling distance; large coves, an old town, and tree lines along the river. For grins buy a Mexican fishing license and paddle straight across to the woods on the Mexican side. Really good looking water but I hit it too early (mid-Feb) last year and missed the spawn. With the way this winter is going you might plan late February instead of January.

Have kayaked fished Falcon in the spring for six years and even tho it's not what it used to be it's still a blast and combat fishing at its best. And you can forget the milk crate with rod holders; it's two in the hull and one on deck or you'll spend more time fighting the thorns than fishing. Regardless, get back in the bushes and wade the shallows where no lure has gone before. Unless of course you hit a really warm spell and the moccasins' have set up nests; an easy determination since they get aggressive whereas they normally just hang out in the trees or swim away. Or at least I think they're swimming away. Good Luck.
Posted By: jafish

Re: Falcon in Jan? - 12/01/15 11:41 PM

Wind can hit fast
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum