popcorn
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 02:19 PM

Out of business in 2-3 years. popcorn2
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Out of business in 2-3 years. popcorn2

I don't know about being out of business in 2-3 years, but one thing is for sure is the leadership and upper management of Fishing Holdings are in for some serious changes and have some steep hurdles to overcome moving forward.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:31 PM

It is indeed interesting to say the least, I for one don't wish anything negative on any business in the fishing industry. Ranger makes a quality product, over priced, but they all are imho...
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:32 PM

If their operation is profitable, or "should be"
profitable, then they will carry on. If not, then
they will be "phased out"

I have a hard time believing a brand as iconic as Ranger would
disappear.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockfisherman
disappear.

Pontiac
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:50 PM

Few years back, Sony like Bass Pro announces in above press release also stated its strong support for keeping an independent dealer sales and service network having at the time 200+ certified dealers and many more authorized Mom and Pop service facilities for whom I helped manage....then Sony began building our own more efficient factory owned service facilities and we staffed them with direct manufacturer employed techs as the independent servicing dealers were not renewed one by one....now they are mostly all gone as Sony does most all of its own warranty and remedial service.

Bass Pro Shops have hundreds of large service bays in their many stores located throughout the U.S. that are ready to provide direct Ranger boat service. Numerous Gander Mountain locations, many with inactive service bays are likely to be Bass Pro owned shortly.

CEOs and VPs from the old school with only "independent Sony dealer network era expertise" saw the transition to Direct Manufacturer service coming and were also quickly terminated.

I expect a significant announcement before long signaling Bass Pro Shops financially further partnering with one of the major boat motor manufacturers. This will result in Mercury (or one of the other engine manufacturer's) staffing it's own direct employees in every Bass Pro Shop's service bay.

The inefficient independent Ranger dealer sales/service network will be a dinosaur just like the Mom and Pop corner Sony stores/repair shops of the past.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:57 PM

Time will tell, it's not like we have a great dealer network in Texas anyway. In the northern part of the state you have one good dealer, DSM at fork. Other than that it is a disaster. A little change around here couldn't hurt. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 03:58 PM

Rangers will be called Tracker specials!!!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Lou r Pitcher
Few years back, Sony like Bass Pro announces in above press release also stated its strong support for keeping an independent dealer sales and service network having at the time 200+ certified dealers and many more authorized Mom and Pop service facilities for whom I helped manage....then Sony began building our own more efficient factory owned service facilities and we staffed them with direct manufacturer employed techs as the independent servicing dealers were not renewed one by one....now they are mostly all gone as Sony does most all of its own warranty and remedial service.

CEOs and VPs from the old school with only "independent dealer network era expertise" saw the transition coming and were also quickly terminated.

Bass Pro Shops has hundreds of stores throughout the U.S. with most all having large multi-bay service areas ready to provide direct Ranger boat service. Numerous Gander Mountain locations likely may be added shortly.

I expect a significant announcement before long signaling Bass Pro Shops financially further partnering with one of the major boat motor manufacturers. This will result in Mercury (or one of the other engine manufacturer's) staffing it's own direct employees in every Bass Pro Shop's service bay.

The inefficient independent Ranger dealer sales/service network will be a dinosaur just like the Mom and Pop corner Sony stores/repair shops of the past.

actually they have 90 stores not "hundreds" (it's in the article)

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 04:21 PM

With the 3 leaving and with the jobs each held at Ranger, I would not be surprised to see them all working for another independent or even a start up in the future.

Lots of experience in the boat building business between them.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 04:32 PM

Run Forrest Run bolt peep
Posted By: TDR2

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 04:50 PM

Sounds like the company went through bankruptcy and a few massive changes while these guys were in charge.. I am honestly surprised they kept their jobs for this long. Most of the time, when ownership changes, management changes to reflect new goals.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 05:00 PM

Probably some pay out with the original deal that required them to hang around for that initial year.
Posted By: furim2

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
Probably some pay out with the original deal that required them to hang around for that initial year.

And, maybe a "no compete"

I don't know if you've ever been to Flippin, but all those buildings ain't exactly "state of the art"
Posted By: joebass2

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 06:17 PM

I think the boating industry, especially the bass boat industry, may be in for a long rough patch....brought on perhaps by building a quality product that lasts a long time . For example, someone posted a 'new to me' Basscat in this section today that may be a late '90s or early 2000 model. With updated electronics and power poles (maybe), that boat will do anything a $60-$70k new boat will do. The hull designs haven't changed much in 20 years, and most everything that wears out can be replaced...carpet, seats, electronics, etc.... or updated.
Except for a few that gotta have that new boat smell, I just don't see a new bass boat market large enough to support several profitable companies. Just my opinion.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: furim2
Originally Posted By: B. Dill

And, maybe a "no compete"

Yup. And since they're in Arkansas they could probably enforce it. Unlike Texas.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 06:32 PM

I would expect with those guys leaving that they will soon be opening a new brand of boat and being a Ranger competitor. I would think with the knowledge and contacts that they have it would be no problem to have a new company up and running within a year. More competition is a good thing$
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 06:36 PM

The reality of it is no matter what happens it will not affect a single one of us from catching another fish. If for some reason Ranger were to ever go away which I highly doubt then there will still be boats. I would just find the one I liked and keep on trucking.

My only real concern in any of it is the employees. I truly hope they all stay employed and continue to build great boats. Lots of good people there at that plant that understand what good customer service is and they take pride in what they do. Its gotta be scary for them to go through the changes and especially here at Christmas. My thoughts and prayers are with those folks and I have faith things will continue to be good for all involved.

I don't see all the doom and gloom others may see in the changes. To me its business doing what business does. I have had my Ranger over 3 years now and honestly I have been treated exceptionally well the few times I had questions about my boat or when I have needed accessories. They are responsive, personable and have went out their way to make sure I got the part I wanted etc. They have followed up with emails and phone calls and every time I have spoke with them they go out of their way to tell you how much they appreciate your business. Really has made owning it even more enjoyable. When the time comes to replace it I will look at Ranger again for sure.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 08:25 PM

Looks like Johnny Morris is gonna own the world eventually. Him, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 08:41 PM

Ranger has the best service of any company I deal with and Kistler rods. 2007 Z20 and when I call they answer every question and even email a pic of a part right then. Parts arrive quick, Just excellent. When and if I get another boat it will be a Ranger.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513
disappear.

Pontiac
Pontiac would be the equivalent of Stratos going away.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 09:09 PM

May be the easiest way to eliminate your competition.....buy them and close them.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
I think the boating industry, especially the bass boat industry, may be in for a long rough patch....brought on perhaps by building a quality product that lasts a long time . For example, someone posted a 'new to me' Basscat in this section today that may be a late '90s or early 2000 model. With updated electronics and power poles (maybe), that boat will do anything a $60-$70k new boat will do. The hull designs haven't changed much in 20 years, and most everything that wears out can be replaced...carpet, seats, electronics, etc.... or updated.
Except for a few that gotta have that new boat smell, I just don't see a new bass boat market large enough to support several profitable companies. Just my opinion.

I kinda feel the same way Joe..
Unless I win one, I'm keeping Big Red a while longer, I'll repower, recover the seats, plop some new carpet down if need be and keep on trucking...I got better things to do with my money than get screwed for 60-80K+ intrest on a new boat regardless of who makes it...
Posted By: J R Trower

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Time will tell, it's not like we have a great dealer network in Texas anyway. In the northern part of the state you have one good dealer, DSM at fork. Other than that it is a disaster.
. So you have been to Texas Boat World? You should give Cliff a call and tell him what he should change. He is always open to customer comments.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: J R Trower
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Time will tell, it's not like we have a great dealer network in Texas anyway. In the northern part of the state you have one good dealer, DSM at fork. Other than that it is a disaster.
. So you have been to Texas Boat World? You should give Cliff a call and tell him what he should change. He is always open to customer comments.

I consider that central Texasas I'm sure everybody else does,by the time I drive there I can be a fork to Dsm which is great. The other 2 up here stink.
Posted By: snickers

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/01/15 11:36 PM

Here is what I cant figure out. Do I Want a new 20 or 21 footer. I was getting the 21 but might stay with the 20.
Posted By: 21elite

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 12:18 AM

everything I see now, its not Ranger boats anymore, its now Triton/Ranger boats but we dont hear anything about Triton?
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
The reality of it is no matter what happens it will not affect a single one of us from catching another fish. If for some reason Ranger were to ever go away which I highly doubt then there will still be boats. I would just find the one I liked and keep on trucking.

My only real concern in any of it is the employees. I truly hope they all stay employed and continue to build great boats. Lots of good people there at that plant that understand what good customer service is and they take pride in what they do. Its gotta be scary for them to go through the changes and especially here at Christmas. My thoughts and prayers are with those folks and I have faith things will continue to be good for all involved.

I don't see all the doom and gloom others may see in the changes. To me its business doing what business does. I have had my Ranger over 3 years now and honestly I have been treated exceptionally well the few times I had questions about my boat or when I have needed accessories. They are responsive, personable and have went out their way to make sure I got the part I wanted etc. They have followed up with emails and phone calls and every time I have spoke with them they go out of their way to tell you how much they appreciate your business. Really has made owning it even more enjoyable. When the time comes to replace it I will look at Ranger again for sure.

Bingo we have a winner!

But Mark it's way more fun to come on here without all the facts and proclaim that the sky is falling and it's somehow all Johnny Morris' fault...

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

Bingo we have a winner!

But Mark it's way more fun to come on here without all the facts and proclaim that the sky is falling and it's somehow all Johnny Morris' fault...

Jonesy have you got that old HH song cued up for next season? rock
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 06:59 AM

Johnny Morris is the outdoors tycoon and just think it was all from a catalog based company. I just hope his continuity is as dedicated to the outdoors. But like most things they come to an end and I would bet the Ranger brand will remain the other two Stratos and Triton not so sure. Someone said profit is the key to sustainability and couldn't agree more. I doubt there are many new boats that have margin that a ranger brings. The good news for me is they are still making Skeeters in Kilgore and heard they will be making their own trailers soon. I am planning to be a proud skeeter owner someday.
2016 could be another 2008 in the making so I would not be surprised if things change quickly at Ranger in order to Take advantage of efficiencies and what is left of a very long bull market.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 12:59 PM

I kind of expect this: Nitro will remain the BPS flagship and the reasonably priced Honda Accord of the bass boat world. Ranger and Triton will remain at independent dealerships, with Ranger being the luxury line, and Triton being the speed/performance line, with both brands commanding a higher price and larger profit margins for Tracker..Stratos will be phased out entirely.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 01:02 PM

Terribly afraid you are spot on. Shame, Stratos made a great rig. I own one, blundered in to it but, for a shorter boat and less than 100HP, works well for me.
Good insight !!
God Bless
Lee

Originally Posted By: M Wyatt
I kind of expect this: Nitro will remain the BPS flagship and the reasonably priced Honda Accord of the bass boat world. Ranger and Triton will remain at independent dealerships, with Ranger being the luxury line, and Triton being the speed/performance line, with both brands commanding a higher price and larger profit margins for Tracker..Stratos will be phased out entirely.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 01:35 PM

After all this Ranger is having a surge in sales
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 02:14 PM

If I was given the right information, Stratos has and been using the old Champion hull design. I like it, but that's just me
God Bless
Lee

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Terribly afraid you are spot on. Shame, Stratos made a great rig. I own one, blundered in to it but, for a shorter boat and less than 100HP, works well for me.
Good insight !!
God Bless
Lee

Originally Posted By: M Wyatt
Posted By: SC-001

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Jonesy have you got that old HH song cued up for next season? rock
roflmao

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 03:05 PM

Lol
Posted By: Tubby

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/02/15 09:55 PM

Thought provoking.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 02:01 PM

BPS knows how to turn a profit Ranger isn't going anywhere the only question is will they cut corners.
Posted By: Transplant

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 07:23 PM

I was at The Classic last year working in the Cabela's booth which was across from the Ranger Booth. I always wondered how people bought these expensive new boats. Ranger was running a Show Special on a boat that listed for $82,000+- a couple. They had a Show Special discount of $7,500 with monthly payments of only $586/month for..................180 months!! That's right after 10 years of payments and a 10 year old boat.....you've only got 60 more monthly payments!!! WOW!!
P.S. Forrest Wood was there every morning early and very friendly to talk with!!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Transplant
I was at The Classic last year working in the Cabela's booth which was across from the Ranger Booth. I always wondered how people bought these expensive new boats. Ranger was running a Show Special on a boat that listed for $82,000+- a couple. They had a Show Special discount of $7,500 with monthly payments of only $586/month for..................180 months!! That's right after 10 years of payments and a 10 year old boat.....you've only got 60 more monthly payments!!! WOW!!
P.S. Forrest Wood was there every morning early and very friendly to talk with!!

and by then it's a $164,000 boat
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Bass Pro Shops have hundreds of large service bays in their many stores located throughout the U.S. that are ready to provide direct Ranger boat service. Numerous Gander Mountain locations, many with inactive service bays are likely to be Bass Pro owned shortly.

CEOs and VPs from the old school with only "independent Sony dealer network era expertise" saw the transition to Direct Manufacturer service coming and were also quickly terminated.

I'm not sure where you get inefficient independent dealers. 30 years ago dealers hung motors and rigged boats. The factories do all that now. About the only real things dealers add to new boats are accessories. They are way more efficient than they used to be. My guess is this is really all about a philosophical difference between the old line Ranger leadership and Bass Pro. Look for the Ranger executives to surface either with another brand, or with a start up company.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 08:55 PM

I've been in a couple buy out's - take overs or what have you in the past 30yrs. I've been on both sides of it, the new and the old. Guys like the old CEO for ranger that came up through the rank and file will alway have a sense of entitlement.. They will feel they know whats best going forward for the company, I know because I've felt that way.. You'd be lucky to get new ownership that would listen, generally what I've experienced first hand was just the opposite...More than likely imo, this was just a parting of ways... Ranger will keep on Rock'n, just look around next time you're on the lake.. You'll see a bunch of ranger boats running around, and you're prolly gonna keep seeing them..
Posted By: No-Wimpy-Fish

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 09:21 PM

Just wanted to remind all of Bass Pro buy out of Pro-Craft. 3 years and all what they promised was out the door, along with all those who worked there for years.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 09:31 PM

Usually, when one company is absorbed by another one, the reasons are either to fix an economic problem or simply to eliminate a segment of the competition. Also, another result, either intended or unintended is that everything sinks to the lowest common denominator., AKA the bean counters. It will be interesting to watch the progression(or digression) of Ranger boats over the next couple of years. My prediction is that there will be noticeable changes in quality.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 09:36 PM

Yall do know that Randy Hopper married one of Forrest's daughters right? Forrest and Johnny Morris are also both close friends.

P.S. Texas Fishing Forum and BBC both freaked out when Bass Cat sold, but now no one is worried or cares.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 09:38 PM

Or..... If they own Cabelas. The Cadillacs will be sold at Cabelas and the Kias will be at Bass Pro.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513
disappear.

Pontiac

Oldsmobile I'm just gonna leave it at that there are too many to list.
J D
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/03/15 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2

I totally agree
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/04/15 04:04 AM

Keep in mind also that years ago when Yamaha bought Skeeter, the sky was falling as well. The brand would die. It was the end of Skeeter as we knew it. I believe Skeeter is still around wouldn't you say? And that is a boat brand with only ONE motor choice!!! Back in the day, Mercury was the preferred motor on Skeeters.

All this internet chatter is just that. Chatter!! Johnny Morris paid a premium for Ranger/Triton/Stratos!!! Do you really think he paid that much just to eliminate his competition? Give me a break. Ranger and Triton will be fine and will remain premium brands for years to come. Stratos will probably be gone however.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/04/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Z521C Cranker
Keep in mind also that years ago when Yamaha bought Skeeter, the sky was falling as well. The brand would die. It was the end of Skeeter as we knew it. I believe Skeeter is still around wouldn't you say? And that is a boat brand with only ONE motor choice!!! Back in the day, Mercury was the preferred motor on Skeeters.

All this internet chatter is just that. Chatter!! Johnny Morris paid a premium for Ranger/Triton/Stratos!!! Do you really think he paid that much just to eliminate his competition? Give me a break. Ranger and Triton will be fine and will remain premium brands for years to come. Stratos will probably be gone however.

Absolutely correct!
Change is good. Shakes up the status quo. I believe BPS is about change and looking forward.
Many will be surprised.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/04/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
With the 3 leaving and with the jobs each held at Ranger, I would not be surprised to see them all working for another independent or even a start up in the future.

Lots of experience in the boat building business between them.

This!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 04:45 AM

Here is the future of Ranger according to the folks that actually own it and run it. I am sure some will find fault, drama or conspiracy with it if they try hard enough. Letter is pretty clear the Ranger will maintain its own design team, they are increasing capacity for building Ranger as well as the fact that they will NOT be sold in BPS stores. All of that is pretty clear.

http://www.boatingbusiness.ca/news/article/004388/Bass-Pro-Shops-Updates-Dealers-on-Management-Issue
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 05:13 AM

Here is the future of Ranger according to the folks that actually own it and run it. I am sure some will find fault, drama or conspiracy with it if they try hard enough. Letter is pretty clear the Ranger will maintain its own design team, they are increasing capacity for building Ranger as well as the fact that they will NOT be sold in BPS stores. All of that is pretty clear.

http://www.boatingbusiness.ca/news/article/004388/Bass-Pro-Shops-Updates-Dealers-on-Management-Issue

Interesting Mark... Thanks!
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 10:45 AM

They will be no more at some point just like the rest.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 11:25 AM

I'd hate to see Ranger go away and right now I think they have a really good chance at staying around. The brands Fish Holdings represents as well as other brands in the boat market place should see some relief in the cost of raw materials (fiberglass boats are almost completely made of petroleum oil) with the price of oil dropping allowing them to be more profitable short term. Hopefully they will be around for a few more years to allow the economy to improve and give the industry in general more life.....my two cents
Posted By: 206champion

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 12:21 PM

We shall see

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 12:41 PM

The reality here is that we are all lacking the inside details/facts related to this acquisition and simply speculating at this point with regards to the future. The other piece of reality here is that Ranger was broke and nabbed by an MA firm to clean up and make ready for sale. Along comes Johnny Morris, who isn't broke, to purchase them and somehow now he's the bad guy?

I appreciate the brand loyalty from the Ranger fans but guess what? The business was failing to be profitable and that's been the case for quite some time. If JM can make it profitable and sustain the brand then you all should be supporters in my eyes instead of armchair quarterbacks and critics. 2cents

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 01:32 PM

You wish
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
They will be no more at some point just like the rest.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 206champion
We shall see

Yep. The "everything's gonna be ok" crowd might be in for an eye opener.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 02:07 PM

All theories right now. Yall have fun with them.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 02:51 PM

The reality here is that we are all lacking the inside details/facts related to this acquisition and simply speculating at this point with regards to the future. The other piece of reality here is that Ranger was broke and nabbed by an MA firm to clean up and make ready for sale. Along comes Johnny Morris, who isn't broke, to purchase them and somehow now he's the bad guy?

I appreciate the brand loyalty from the Ranger fans but guess what? The business was failing to be profitable and that's been the case for quite some time. If JM can make it profitable and sustain the brand then you all should be supporters in my eyes instead of armchair quarterbacks and critics. 2cents

Maybe I just missed something but I never knew Ranger was broke or not profitable. To my knowledge, Ranger never filed bankruptcy. Their parent company (Genmar) did and sold Ranger to Platinum Equities who then sold Ranger to Bass Pro.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 02:52 PM

If JM can make it profitable and sustain the brand then you all should be supporters in my eyes instead of armchair quarterbacks and critics. 2cents

I agree.

This fact along with reading JM's letter I think clear that additional profitability will come from sharing resources and suppliers. Manufacturing and design will still be separate, but management will be streamlined as with any merger and you will see cost savings through sharing of the supplier chain (Nitro & Ranger sharing parts). I think this is the only path to profitability because I don't see much potential with increasing the price points. Ranger is already leading the price points and additional production while sharing Nitro parts won't make an easy sell of higher price.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Troyz

Maybe I just missed something but I never knew Ranger was broke or not profitable. To my knowledge,

Ranger never filed bankruptcy. Their parent company (Genmar) did and sold Ranger to Platinum Equities who then sold Ranger to Bass Pro.

Wow, unreal thinking

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 03:10 PM

whats unreal?

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 03:28 PM

Ranger did file bankruptcy!
Ranger was bought out of bankruptcy from Genmar.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmar_Holdings

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tubby

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source of information, but your reference indicates Genmar was in bankruptcy, not Ranger. Ranger was one of the many companies owned by Genmar.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Tubby

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source of information

Wikipedia not perfect and maybe not most reliable, but certainly one of the more reliable sources. it is peer reviewed with multiple authors, not a one sided news report, article, or even encyclopedia. Wikipedia has no financial stake or preferences, its goal is only facts and truth, although it might take some revisions to get there.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 04:03 PM

What do you not understand? Ranger was part of Genmar, would you like me dig up more info for.

http://www.rangerboats.com/article.cfm?storyid=139

http://www.platinumequity.com/news/294/platinum-equity-completes-acquisition-of-genmar-assets
Posted By: fouzman

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 04:53 PM

Ranger never filed for bankruptcy, Tubby. Their parent company, Genmar did. Genmar did have to petition the court to pay out over $1 million of pre-petition debt for Ranger and the court approved. PBH then bought 11 boat companies out of bankruptcy from Genmar. Platinum equity then bought the Ranger and Stratos lines from PBH.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 05:03 PM

I run a skeeter....... frkazoid

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 05:13 PM

That is correct. However, as the article states, Ranger was bought out through the bankruptcy courts.
I see it differently, as I have been involved in some bankruptcy acquitions. It matters not one way or the other, only subjective words.. I feel that Ranger is now in a stronger position than they ever have been as they are free of what I consider " corporate raiders". Johnny Morris did not become wealthy by being so stupid ad to buy out the competition and closing their doors to get rid of them. I believe he bought at a time that they were most vulnerable at being liquidated. ( my opinion only) I feel that Ranger in the future will come out of this stronger than ever. They are such a iconic brand that they will be one of the last to fail now that they are in the hands of someone that truly understands boat marketing rather than private equity groups that will buy any struggling company.

This all my opinion and I firmly believe it.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 06:00 PM

Agree

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 07:21 PM

Maybe I just missed something but I never knew Ranger was broke or not profitable. To my knowledge, Ranger never filed bankruptcy. Their parent company (Genmar) did and sold Ranger to Platinum Equities who then sold Ranger to Bass Pro.

Quibbling over semantics are we? Ok then, if the term broke was too abrasive then let me kindly rephrase. Yes it's true that as the parent it was Genmar's filing but you can't argue the fact that Ranger was impacted by all of the same issues at that time, layoffs, cuts, lack of sales, etc. You don't end up purchased out of BK and in the hands of PE if all is well.

If you want to stand on principle and argue that Ranger was the best looking turd of the others in the toilet bowl I'll concede that...
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 07:34 PM

Meh. Pretty sure people were muttering the same thing when Forrest Wood sold out.

Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 08:00 PM

I wonder how involved Johnny Morris is with calling the shots on this change over?

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
I wonder how involved Johnny Morris is with calling the shots on this change over?
He is sleeping at the factory to make sure it stays ship shape
Posted By: SC-001

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 08:51 PM

Reverse these statements and see how it reads, I see what you did there Johnny M. wink

At this time, we are pursuing renaming Tracker Marine Group and Fishing Holdings to a new, more united “White River Marine Group.” In this regard, we are eager to share and to make available as appropriate many of the significant resources available from Bass Pro Shops and Tracker to help strengthen the Ranger brand and your business. At the same time we respect the need to maintain independence and brand integrity, and in that regard, we have no plans to sell Fishing Holdings brands through Bass Pro Shops stores.
Posted By: DJB

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 09:59 PM

I hope everyone that reads these posts ,that seem to show up quite often,take them with a grain of salt. There are people with different agendas that post on these topics.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 10:10 PM

There's a lot of little tidal bits in that article. Those jobs weren't dissolved so there was something going on there. Was it bad? Who knows. Sounds like Triton and stratos are done. It was bound to happen anyway but I thought the trx boats could save triton. Sounds like there will be a lot of part sharing. That could be good or bad. I'm not knocking nitro here but if their parts start showing up on Rangers I can't see the loyalty of guys staying with them. Even if the parts are quality and maybe better it will still hurt their perception with Ranger loyalists.

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/11/15 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DJB
I hope everyone that reads these posts ,that seem to show up quite often,take them with a grain of salt. There are people with different agendas that post on these topics.

What!!!???? Agendas? Here? No way! grin grin cheers
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/12/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: snickers
Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
He is sleeping at the factory to make sure it stays ship shape
lol popcorn
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/12/15 05:06 AM

Brand Nazi's are funny if you ask me...... My identity has nothing to do with my boat.....and I just have a passion for fishing...
Posted By: Walls

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/12/15 06:17 AM

Maybe I just missed something but I never knew Ranger was broke or not profitable. To my knowledge, Ranger never filed bankruptcy. Their parent company (Genmar) did and sold Ranger to Platinum Equities kwho then sold Ranger to Bass Pro.

Quibbling over semantics are we? Ok then, if the term broke was too abrasive then let me kindly rephrase. Yes it's true that as the parent it was Genmar's filing but you can't argue the fact that Ranger was impacted by all of the same issues at that time, layoffs, cuts, lack of sales, etc. You don't end up purchased out of BK and in the hands of PE if all is well.

If you want to stand on principle and argue that Ranger was the best looking turd of the others in the toilet bowl I'll concede that...

Well played sir, well played.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: the future of Ranger? - 12/12/15 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: chasinbass

Maybe I just missed something but I never knew Ranger was broke or not profitable. To my knowledge, Ranger never filed bankruptcy. Their parent company (Genmar) did and sold Ranger to Platinum Equities kwho then sold Ranger to Bass Pro.

Well played sir, well played.
I'd have to agree with all of the above. Businesses don't change hands as much as Ranger has if they are profitable. That being said; as I said in a previous post in this thread, they as well as others may have the opportunity; short term, to be a lot more profitable in the future............
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum