Texas Fishing Forum

Fork releasing h20

Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 12:11 AM

I know dumb question but are the gates still open on fork?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 12:21 AM

Yes

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 01:01 AM

Dang headed down to fish tonight.

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: 521 ranger

Go anyway. Trurhfully the water has been dropping steadily for last 3-4 years anyway. Fish gotta eat. Probably have not had much pressure at all these past few days.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 01:09 AM

Had some nice Bass while crappie fishing last week and I was next to the dam and could hear the water flowing. 3 were over 6 pounds. I am guessing they are eating the crappie.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: snickers
Had some nice Bass while crappie fishing last week and I was next to the dam and could hear the water flowing. 3 were over 6 pounds. I am guessing they are eating the crappie.

OMG

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 02:04 PM

Well the bite was slow but did catch an 8.8# last night
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 02:19 PM

Water level getting close to the top of our boat dock, late yesterday it was about a foot away.. unhooked my irrigation pump and raised it up off the deck, and put the pontoon on a high rise.. Lake is 1+ foot over pool this morning, and will get a little higher the next day or so...
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Go anyway. Trurhfully the water has been dropping steadily for last 3-4 years anyway. Fish gotta eat. Probably have not had much pressure at all these past few days.

Years,...?? Always go fishing, Them biguns are starten to fatten up for the winter.. fish

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

Years,...?? Always go fishing, Them biguns are starten to fatten up for the winter.. fish

Yep, years. Other than a handful of days the water level has been falling at Fork almost every day for the last 3-4 years.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 04:22 PM

According to a friend at TPWD:

The Sabine River Authority will attempt to lower Lake Fork 2-3 feet in an effort to leave giant salvinia high and dry during the winter.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: basseditor

The Sabine River Authority will attempt to lower Lake Fork 2-3 feet in an effort to leave giant salvinia high and dry during the winter.

Sweet... its easier to follow the creek channels pitching a jig when the stumps are sticking out of the water. smile
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13

Sweet... its easier to follow the creek channels pitching a jig when the stumps are sticking out of the water. smile

This ^^^

After the last few years I get lost out there when I can't see the stumps anymore
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 04:51 PM

I would think a bunch is floating out now... maybe pushed against the blocking...
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 08:48 PM

Well that figures, my ramp is useless at 3 feet low, this is the second time in seven years it was usable .

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 09:26 PM

My friend said 12 feet to work on the Dam.

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: heybaylor

Well that figures, my ramp is useless at 3 feet low, this is the second time in seven years it was usable .

I would call the powers that be and verify before I assumed it to be 100% accurate

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 09:32 PM

what good would it do. It is floating in the lake.saw a patch today out in the middle
Originally Posted By: heybaylor

I would call the powers that be and verify before I assumed it to be 100% accurate
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

Yep, years. Other than a handful of days the water level has been falling at Fork almost every day for the last 3-4 years.

Well, it went through those drought years like most North Texas lakes . . . until 2015. It actually has maintained a fairly tight range according to its official statistics. The blue line is the actual daily level shown here for several years, the yellow is a long term (14 year) median value statistic. It looks like the lake never gets much below 395', or much above 403' with the exceptions of last May and now. A chart here. Brad

Re: Fork releasing h20 - 11/30/15 10:10 PM

Again it has fallen a bit almost daily with the exceptions of a handful of days here and there. Whether through evaporation or drawdown it falls a little daily unless we are getting rain. That has been a constant. No refuting that. Some days more than others obviously in regards to falling. Been that way since early on into the drought. Its fluctuated by feet a few times this year as well.
Fish still bite and using the gates being open as a way to decide to fish or not might cost you a very good trip. I think the fish are less affected by it than if it had never had any fluctuations. I keep weekly records and have for the last 3-5 years as part of a weekly project I help with.

I don't need a bunch of tables and charts to tell me that in my own experience the bite is much less affected by it than some think. I am fortunate to spend a lot of days out there and have had some monster days even when gates are open. Just go fishing. You never know what might happen. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum