Texas Fishing Forum

bass boat scratch remover?

Posted By: texasbassin

bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 09:32 PM

I bought my boat used and it had some scratches on the hull. I've added a few more since I got it. Basic wear on the hull. My question is What scratch remover is a good one to purchase?
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 09:36 PM

Buff and wax once a year.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™

You don't wanna wax the hull
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 11:11 PM

I've got a few gashes and deep scratches in my hull as well. Would love to know the best thing to fill/patch and smooth it out with
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
I've got a few gashes and deep scratches in my hull as well. Would love to know the best thing to fill/patch and smooth it out with

Chicks dig scars.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/26/15 11:46 PM

Yeah, but I don't run over chicks in my boat that often
Posted By: chas1

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:16 AM

why not wax the hull?
Posted By: BassAssassin8522

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: chas1
why not wax the hull?

I have always heard you don't want to wax the pad because it will actually slow the boat down
Posted By: Neches

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:24 AM

Meguires Scratch X. Works great
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BassAssassin8522
Originally Posted By: chas1
why not wax the hull?

I have always heard you don't want to wax the pad because it will actually slow the boat down

I have been waxing my hulls for 30+ years, including the pad. Waxing sure makes it easier to keep it clean. If it makes you slower, I am betting it would be an imperceptible amount, if any. I might rethink this if I were racing!
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:45 AM

Go spend $100 on a 3m buffing pad and the adapter for a buffer. They're about $50 each so the adapter will last forever. The 3M pad results will blow you away!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 12:54 AM

Hmmm. Waxing the bottom of the boat. I can think of several reasons not to bother. But reducing speed? Haha. That wattun one of um. Haha maybe I don't wax my boat because it's a FISHING boat? Lol. If I waxed my hull, my wife would definitely throw my [censored] out of the house. She thinks regular nessasary maintainence is time I should spend with her. Lol. If she saw me WAXING the dam boat, she would think I was avoiding her for real!

It's a boat. A slimy bass boat. Polish and wax trophys and deposit checks with it. Don't wax it.
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Delvec

Since when? I find that contrary to all the fiberglass shops recommendation. Wax helps with UV protection, oxidation and scratch prevention.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:07 AM

Yep.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:16 AM

You talking surface scratches or real scratches?
Posted By: Dubee

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Kyle405

Since when? I find that contrary to all the fiberglass shops recommendation. Wax helps with UV protection, oxidation and scratch prevention.

Wax the top cap and sides, not the hull
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:25 AM

High performance guys will actually sand their hulls lightly with the water flow. It makes air between the hull and water, the less water contact, the more speed.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 01:30 AM

If you have bad scratches you can use Marine-Tex epoxy to fill in the gouges and then wet sand the areas back smooth. This stuff dries really, realllllyyyyy hard! I spent about 5 hours sanding it down.

I filled this massive gouge in a few years ago with it and so far it looks just as good as the factory gel coat did. I have no idea what caused this and about had a heart attack when I saw it.

Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
If you have bad scratches you can use Marine-Tex epoxy to fill in the gouges and then wet sand the areas back smooth. This stuff dries really, realllllyyyyy hard! I spent about 5 hours sanding it down.

I filled this massive gouge in a few years ago with it and so far it looks just as good as the factory gel coat did. I have no idea what caused this and about had a heart attack when I saw it.

+1 on the Marine-Tex for gouges.
Posted By: texasbassin

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 03:01 AM

I have on gash that looks at little better than the one above, but the others are surface scratches. So marine tex for large gouge. And buff and wax the hull for the smaller scratches. Thanks guys!
Posted By: eat111

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 03:11 AM

I've had good success wet sanding the scratches with 1500 - 2000 grit wet sandpaper; then followed by rubbing compound and a buffer, followed by polishing compound, then some 3M Marine Finesse-It II. When using a buffer/polisher use the lowest speed and a foam or wool pad. If you don't have a buffer, you can use a random orbital polisher, but it will take longer. Be careful not to apply too much pressure to the buffer as the wool pad can damage the gel coat. Go slow and frequently check your progress.
Posted By: KBB

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 03:13 AM

+2 on the Marine Tex.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 03:45 AM

+3 Marine Tex fixed one like that three ft long from dragging over a T fence pole.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

High performance guys will actually sand their hulls lightly with the water flow. It makes air between the hull and water, the less water contact, the more speed.

This is true. However, I would always wax a bassboat hull.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 06:25 AM

Although highly effective take caution on wet sanding, you shouldn't do that very often.
Posted By: GROD

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 02:45 PM

If it's not taking on water then I wouldn't worry about scratches myself. Bass boat made to be fished in... Not a boat show.
Posted By: eat111

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/27/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jobie99
Although highly effective take caution on wet sanding, you shouldn't do that very often.

Agreed. If you use a sanding block and a light touch with 1500 - 2000 grit you should be OK for scratches that don't go through the gelcoat.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: bass boat scratch remover? - 11/28/15 06:38 AM

For scratches and scuffs use Meguiar's M6732 on a DA with a waffle pad. M6732 is a MARINE compound for fiberglass. Paint is not the same as fiberglass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum