Texas Fishing Forum

Which one?

Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Which one? - 11/25/15 08:06 PM

I am struggling with a decision on whether to buy a bass boat or a pontoon. Either will be a used boat. I only bass fish. I don't crappie fish or catfish. My struggle is that I am getting older and have bad knees so not very mobile. That makes a pontoon seem like a better idea. I would also like to take the grandkids out in the summers which also makes a pontoon seem the better choice. If I go the pontoon route it will be set up with a trolling motor, fish finders and bass seats. I realize a pontoon can't get in those stumpy shallow areas like a bass boat. What other drawbacks do you see with bass fishing from a pontoon? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Which one? - 11/25/15 08:14 PM

As long as you wear a jersey, you'll look cool....so no worries! roflmao

I think if you're accustomed to fishing from a bass boat, you will be hindered in a pontoon. If you know no different, then you'll probably be fine. I think a happy medium would be a bay boat type setup...something with higher sides and no steps but still maneuverable in tight areas and fishes more like a bass boat.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:02 AM

i woud go with the bass boat!
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:45 AM

Pontoon is going to get blown all over the lake.
Posted By: jamie d

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:57 AM

if you are a bass fisherman i would go bass boat. i would look for a big boat like 21 22 fter
Posted By: Big Worm78

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:59 AM

Father in law bought a pontoon 2 years ago thinking like you discribed. He hates it now other than it holds more people than a bass boat or center console. He has bad knees and back and says it is to difficult to get in and out of, especially with no dock just beaching, not to mention loading it up. I would say weigh your uses for it, more for the family just to ride around in and B.S., or do you bass fish more?
Posted By: jamie d

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 02:00 AM

07 Ranger Z22
07 250 Yamaha
VMax HPDI

Listed 9/9/15P Bob's hydraulic jackplate, MinnKota 101#, dual 5" color depth finders w/GPS, satellite radio, hot foot, Ranger cover, TuffSkinz motor cover, charger. Tandem Ranger trailer w/spare. Just serviced in August. Excellent condition,, never abused. Stored indoors at all times.
Call Donnie: 713-385-7072 or email for more details. TxnBTGOG - TX
Spring, TX
$31,900.

I JUST SAW THIS BOAT I DONT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT OR DONT KNOW THE SELLER JUST TRYING TO HELP
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 02:12 AM

buy both
Posted By: txfsh

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 09:50 AM

If your fishing from a pontoon you have too consider the problems you will have getting a fish in the boat. If flipping it over the side cant be done your going to have to get up and get a net if your by yourself. Also manuevering it in creeks would be a real pain. I would have to stick with a bass boat. I know your knees are bad but once your in the seat your good to go.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:35 PM

Get the bass boat and add the ladder to the trailer. You just walk right in the boat with the trailer ladder. It is one of the best things I have added to my boat/trailer set up.

http://www.easystepsystem.com/
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 01:46 PM

When I first got back into bass fishing I has a 24' pontoon that I mounted a tm on and tried to bass fish out of.
It didn't work well for me. Too hard to maneuver in the timber and the wind will blow you around like a leaf on the water. Great for carring lots of people and even cat fishing, crappie fishing just not bass fishing.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 04:45 PM

Years ago the "conversation" came up between my wife & I about wether or not I was getting a bass boat or fish & ski. Always said I could ski out of a bass boat way better than I fish out of a ski boat. Selfish but oh well! Can't even imagine bass fishing out of a pontoon boat. If you spen most of your time crusing around and bass fish in deep open water (bait fishing) then it will work fine. If you are a bass fisherman...be selfish! :-)
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Which one? - 11/26/15 06:03 PM

I would go with a center console bay boat or something like that. You don't have all the sitting down and getting back up when you move spots, they can handle a good white perch trip with the grand kids, clean up easy, and are still relatively easy to bass fishing from. My $.02
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Which one? - 11/27/15 01:40 AM

If you have to launch and reload by yourself I'd definitely stay away from pontoons. I've seen some guys struggle by themselves whereas I do it all by myself. I also have bad knees, back, shoulders, etc and with the addition of the hitch mounted step I can easily get in and out of the trailered boat much easier than without it.
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Which one? - 11/27/15 02:53 AM

Best addition to my trailer I made. thumb

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Get the bass boat and add the ladder to the trailer. You just walk right in the boat with the trailer ladder. It is one of the best things I have added to my boat/trailer set up.

http://www.easystepsystem.com/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum