Texas Fishing Forum

Words of Wisdom from Hackney

Posted By: MagFluker

Words of Wisdom from Hackney - 11/25/15 07:03 PM

Pretty good stuff here. Don't sweat the small stuff. What's right for me may not be right for you, very fitting for life on the forum. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/hackney-do-what-works-you
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Words of Wisdom from Hackney - 11/25/15 08:08 PM

Very true. Good article. Many people don't follow simple goal based concepts and self confident decisions.
Lots of debates on here about every little line or tackle or boat choice- vast majority of the time nobody is wrong and you just gotta go with what works for you. It is nice to hear other opinions though.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Words of Wisdom from Hackney - 11/25/15 08:14 PM

While reading the article you linked I came across this one. More words of wisdom from Hackney...

Quote:

We have a tournament next year at a place I’ve never heard of, much less fished. I contacted a fellow Elite Series angler to find out what the deal was. I learned there was a guy at this place who is supposed to be really good. He wins a lot of tournaments on the place.

My friend told me that the local had already been contacted by a half-dozen or so anglers. He’d made a commitment to help one of them. And, the angler he’s going to help is going to help him with a charity event.

Now, I have nothing against charity — the more the better — and I don’t think that situation violates the letter of the rules. Technically there’s no payment. The thing that bothers me is that it doesn’t violate the rules.

I know anglers who have friends, acquaintances and contacts at every place we fish. They get very specific information (waypoints) that put them on the best places to start fishing. They’re getting this information outside the 30 day rule and they aren’t paying for it so everything is legal. But is it right? Are we anglers, or are we information gatherers?

To be fair, the majority of the guys who are doing this aren’t winning. Most of the waypoints they’re getting are known to other anglers. They’re more or less public. The winners are developing their own patterns and spots. That gives them the edge. Their fish are just a little bit bigger.

But still, you can catch a pretty good sack if you have 30 or 40 of the best spots in your GPS unit

We’re supposed to be “elite” anglers. Why shouldn’t we be made to find our own spots and our own fish? Tournament results and Bassmaster Classic berths shouldn’t be determined by who knows the best anglers. They should be determined by who is the best angler.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/hackney-should-we-fish-or-collect-information#

He's an AOY so I don't think what he is saying can be characterized as sour grapes.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Words of Wisdom from Hackney - 11/26/15 01:02 AM

Hackney has never visited the TFF I see. Or he would know that the Palomar knot sucks. And that you are supposed to sweat the small stuff.
Posted By: jamie d

Re: Words of Wisdom from Hackney - 11/26/15 02:18 AM

I CAN GET THE PALOMAR TO WORK WITH FLUORO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum