Texas Fishing Forum

How often do you change the braid out

Posted By: HaulinBass02

How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 05:17 PM

Like the post says, when do you change the braided line out? Telltale signs it needs it or just time on reel?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 05:20 PM

time on reel,..or if I want to change the setup on that reel..
I'm a line junky, fish
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 05:24 PM

Braid can last a long time.... What I do is move it fr one reel to the other. Once it gets faded just tie the end on on new reel and reel it backwards on a new reel. Thus will put the faded in towards the bottom on the new reel and you double the life of your braid.
Posted By: 361V

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 05:37 PM

Never. Well almost never. Over a few seasons it does kind of soften up and get a little frayed looking. I like it tight and slick(get your mind off that) so that's when I change mine. It does fade slightly after a few seasons also but who cares?
Posted By: buda13

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 05:40 PM

I have some 65# on my frog rod thats on year #3.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 06:09 PM

When I was fishing a lot I used to spool up with braid, use it for a year then pull it off and turn it around and respool and use it for another year and then replace. I don't fish near as much anymore so now I have some on for about the last 3 years and seems to work just fine.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 06:35 PM

I usually get 2 seasons on mine depending on how many times I retie or cut baits off. If I have plenty of line on the spool, I will do what the others have said and spool one reel with the line from anothe. I only keep braid on 1-2 reels year around. Coach
Posted By: catslayer

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 07:09 PM

If it white... I change it... I may swap it over once in a while...

I'll admit I break off a lot, so when it get 2 short to mess with I swap... I'm also a HUGE believer in mono backing so I don't use a lot of braid in one go.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 07:13 PM

I change it when I start casting down to my backing. I hate it when that knot starts ripping into my thumb on a cast.
Posted By: BigBassJake

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 07:29 PM

Exactly what Zach said... I have a few spin cast that are spooled with braid and then have like a 20ft flouro leader and I've only changed the flouro. The braids been on there for a few years.
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 07:34 PM

Ok that's good info there. Got some braid starting to turn white, been there for a year so I'll probably flip it around. I don't see how it could ever go bad but it definitely loses color after a while.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
I change it when I start casting down to my backing. I hate it when that knot starts ripping into my thumb on a cast.

Me too or do what Zach does.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes
Braid can last a long time.... What I do is move it fr one reel to the other. Once it gets faded just tie the end on on new reel and reel it backwards on a new reel. Thus will put the faded in towards the bottom on the new reel and you double the life of your braid.

I had noidea
Great idea!
Posted By: toddfish

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/25/15 11:02 PM

Good question, many good replies. Thanks
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/26/15 01:37 AM

never! or until it get so old it snaps check every once in a while with a good tug
Posted By: jamie d

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/26/15 01:54 AM

i dont think it gets bad. if it fades i usually pull out my big sharpie and put some black on it for about 3 ft
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/27/15 01:01 PM

Braid last a long time and when it turns white I use a black sharpie to color the last 3 ft or so.

Well I do that from day one but I also do what Zach was talking about to get the full use of it.

After so long I reel it from one reel to another to keep good line on top and the line that has been on the bottom of one reel never really used now moved to the top is like new line.

I have some braid on 1-2 reels still going strong after 18 months old.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/27/15 01:04 PM

But won't the fish smell the sharpie roflmao
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/27/15 01:11 PM

I guess they might but they must like it cause cause it has never slowed my bite down any. Although I only use braid on certain moving baits so they better have a good nose. LOL

All braids are not created Equal.

Mustad now has entered the Braid Game and it seems theirs is pretty good. I have been a Power Pro fan for years.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/27/15 03:42 PM

I have had Diawa Samurai on my reels for 4 years now, will reverse spools and get another 4 if my reels last.
Posted By: chas1

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/27/15 08:09 PM

I got 4 to 5 years with lite use.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Eddie Garrett

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/28/15 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I guess they might but they must like it cause cause it has never slowed my bite down any. Although I only use braid on certain moving baits so they better have a good nose. LOL

Mustad now has entered the Braid Game and it seems theirs is pretty good. I have been a Power Pro fan for years.

I also was a Power Pro fan for years. I am now using a new braid called Bushido Combat from American Tackle. It is a 8 strand braid made of Toyobo Fibre from Japan. It has a tight diamond weave pattern making it one of the roundest, strongest and smallest diameter braids on the market. I'm loving this stuff on my a-rig and spinning reel drop shot. Reel Time rod shop just started carrying it local here on Fork. Should have a long life also.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/28/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Eddie Garrett
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

I also was a Power Pro fan for years. I am now using a new braid called Bushido Combat from American Tackle. It is a 8 strand braid made of Toyobo Fibre from Japan. It has a tight diamond weave pattern making it one of the roundest, strongest and smallest diameter braids on the market. I'm loving this stuff on my a-rig and spinning reel drop shot. Reel Time rod shop just started carrying it local here on Fork. Should have a long life also.

Eddie, the Bushido Combat Braid does look interesting. I took time to pull up its spec sheet and the 10 lbs. braid is .14MM versus, say, Sufix 832's 10 lbs. at .20MM. That is quite a difference. Just the smaller size alone should make it cast very well, its roundness, too, should help.

Report back to us some time as you gain experience with this braid. If I find some at the store, I'll give it a go just to compare to my Sufix 832 I use on my spinning reel.

Brad
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/29/15 04:04 PM

x2 thumb
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/29/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

x2 thumb
x3
Posted By: jafish

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/30/15 02:58 AM

I hook it to the fence and walk away letting line lay on the ground. Then i go back to the fence were I started and spool it on from that end . This puts the unused line on the top and the old used line on the spindle. You guys that live in town may need to do this on the sidewalk out front. I hope no one next door drives away with their car hooked to your line. Make sure you install it tight so it won't slip when you set the hook. Just saying.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: How often do you change the braid out - 11/30/15 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
But won't the fish smell the sharpie roflmao

No
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum