Texas Fishing Forum

depth finder question... help

Posted By: northtexascrappiehunter

depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 02:43 AM

has any of you ever tried putting side view or side imaging on the bow with the transducer on the tm? If so how do it work?
Posted By: B-rader

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 02:52 AM

Use a trolling motor transducer with a transducer shield on it
Posted By: northtexascrappiehunter

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 12:48 PM

what Im asking is how does the side view look since it on the tm? Ive been told it would be all distorted.
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 01:06 PM

As long as your aren't turning it fast and moving it all around it shouldn't be too bad. Give it a chance to refresh a little.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 01:12 PM

I use Side Imaging at the bow with a trolling motor mounted SI transducer a lot more than I do at the console/transom. I use it for fishing.
Some waters I fish are electric only and I only take my bow unit so I am using SI all day that way.

The key thing with using imaging in that manner is when the data is created. ONLY the very first row of screen pixels is real time, all the rest is HISTORY. If you want a full screen of undisturbed data, just hold the trolling motor straight for a full screen update. Adjusted properly for the application, you don't even notice any distortion if using Humminbird Side Imaging.

I turned the trolling motor 4 times when searching this spawning site and caught the two bass recorded:

Some more SI screen shots at the bow with a Humminbird 1198c SI Combo and an ONIX 10 SI:

Turned the trolling motor a couple of times in this screen shot:

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 01:15 PM

Same here. Thank you for the information.... I'm still trying hard to interpret what is actually fish and what other stuff is showing up on my two 1199's but, like he stated....the one on the TM on the bow is very important...
IMO
God Bless
(thanks for your post and pictures !!)

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: HaulinBass02
As long as your aren't turning it fast and moving it all around it shouldn't be too bad. Give it a chance to refresh a little.

The faster you turn the motor, the less distortion there is recorded. It's about the rate the screen is scrolling.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 01:21 PM

Wayne, question: Seems the 360 has not been a 'huge' seller. Is yours mounted on the bow?
Do you use it a 'lot' ???
Dumb questions but, honestly, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.... roflmao
Thanks,
God Bless

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Wayne, question: Seems the 360 has not been a 'huge' seller. Is yours mounted on the bow?
Dumb questions but, honestly, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.... roflmao
Thanks,
God Bless

Bow version. I fish in timber a lot so the transom model is not a good idea for that.

I used to just use Side Imaging, since I got the 360, I use Side Imaging for searching and the 360 for fishing. Sort of works too:

I saw this bass in the yellow circle split up the school of shad (red circles):

Cast directly to it and caught it:

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Thanks,
God Bless

It is sort of handy to see where stuff is no matter which direction it is:

Posted By: Jkrez

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 02:57 PM

Don't you have to have some speed for side scan to work correctly? Like 2-3 mph?

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkrez
Don't you have to have some speed for side scan to work correctly? Like 2-3 mph?

Side Scan--Yes, Side Imaging--NO sort of. Yes it takes some movement to scan, but Side Imaging is adjustable for a wide range of boat speeds and works very clearly from zero to about 12 mph.

You can see the school of shad change direction in the DI view when I briefly turned on the trolling motor.

Re: depth finder question... help - 11/25/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkrez

BTW, that is why Humminbird Side Imaging is a search tool AND a fishing tool.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum