Texas Fishing Forum

Bass pro rant

Posted By: slim 285

Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 07:18 PM

With Bass Pro buying Ranger ,Triton,Stratos and Cabelas.
Will this be a good thing if it is all under one umbrella ?
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 07:20 PM

Competition is usually a good thing for consumers. Soooo no.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 07:23 PM

Nope...Not at all!
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 07:31 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 07:52 PM

popcorn

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

That is what i was thinking too
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 08:35 PM

Don't shop there any way fish
Posted By: Kevin D.

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 08:36 PM

When they say competition is usually a good thing, it normally leads to innovation and better pricing. On one hand, combining all of those stellar boat makers could do away with innovation and cause prices to remain high or even to increase. Another way of thinking is that maybe by bringing all of these innovators together and allowing them to work together could push the next innovations just that much further. I can't see it working that way though because that would cost BassPro a whole lot more money.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 09:27 PM

I think it will just make other brands harder to find, at least if you live near a BPS. There are not as many businesses competing near mega stores it seems. The BPS brand is starting to squeeze out the availability and selection of other brands in store. I don't buy from Bass Pro much so really it wont have any affect on me. I like buying from TackleWarehouse because I know what I want and they have any brand I want. Not to mention a bigger selection. Now if they buy TackleWarehouse I will sob like a baby.

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 09:32 PM

The bug is built 125 miles away and is a better boat in my opinion. fish

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 09:36 PM

Never figured out with Walmarts buying power and could see what Bass pro was building years ago didn't jump into the outdoor sports arena. fish
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 10:08 PM

Heck no...this bad news for everyone except Tackle Warehouse!
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 11:05 PM

BPS bought Ranger - changes will happen. Good changes or bad changes I do not know but there is information out there that two career Ranger managers left this week. Very common with M&A transactions and different business owners.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 11:26 PM

No and getting hard to find any brand gear at bass pro unless it is their brand
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/24/15 11:29 PM

Bass Pro is more of destination than a tackle store these days.

I shop there occasionally because of convenience, but I buy most of my stuff elsewhere..
Posted By: chas1

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 12:10 AM

Bass pro in Austin is a joke ,no service, and employees are not well trained.
Grapevine is much better
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 12:16 AM

Bass Pro has gotten expensive. I get stuff there ONLY if i can't find it any where else.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Bass Pro has gotten expensive. I get stuff there ONLY if i can't find it any where else.

That's no joke!!!!

Have you priced Seaguar InvisX there? Hell. Seaguar makes the BPS XPS fluorocarbon and even the BPS brand is more expensive than the "real deal"'from Tacklewarehouse. I mean come on......almost $30 for InvisX when TW sells it for under $20!!!! Haha. Bass Pro is a complete rip off. They are also dropping brands that compete with "XPS" stuff faster than a dope dealer dropping a bag of weed when the cops roll up. Lol

I guess the only thing they are good for is boats, beef jerky, and peanut brittle.

Oh. And the "BPS only" cheap [censored] Strike King jigs with crappy paint and 50% less skirt rubber. Lol

Yep. What a joke.

Edit. Oh [censored]. I just realized that Seaguar doesn't make their line. But, that doesn't change the fact that they overcharge for InvisX AND XPS line.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

That's no joke!!!!

Have you priced Seaguar InvisX there? Hell. Seaguar makes the BPS XPS fluorocarbon and even the BPS brand is more expensive than the "real deal"'from Tacklewarehouse. I mean come on......almost $30 for InvisX when TW sells it for under $20!!!! Haha. Bass Pro is a complete rip off. They are also dropping brands that compete with "XPS" stuff faster than a dope dealer dropping a bag of weed when the cops roll up. Lol

I guess the only thing they are good for is boats, beef jerky, and peanut brittle.

Oh. And the "BPS only" cheap [censored] Strike King jigs with crappy paint and 50% less skirt rubber. Lol

Yep. What a joke.

Edit. Oh [censored]. I just realized that Seaguar doesn't make their line. But, that doesn't change the fact that they overcharge for InvisX AND XPS line.

You forgot about their fudge. But yea, I rely on TW for just about all my tackle. I HAVE bought a boat from them, and get 20 percent off everything I buy from them, plus double rewards points, but I still come out ahead with Tacklewarehouse. Kinda sad...
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 01:14 AM

I spend more money at TW but I don't have a problem dropping a few dollars at BPS occasionally. BPS sponsors a lot of my favorite fishing shows and they also hold clinics, classes, etc at the stores. BPS has done a lot to grow bass fishing so I like to return the favor.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bbassfishes

That's no joke!!!!

Yep. What a joke.

You forgot about their fudge. But yea, I rely on TW for just about all my tackle. I HAVE bought a boat from them, and get 20 percent off everything I buy from them, plus double rewards points, but I still come out ahead with Tacklewarehouse. Kinda sad...

Wait a minute.....they have fudge? There might be hope for them still........ banana
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 02:15 AM

BPS is 4 miles from my home. Unless it's an emergency, I shop TW. BPS and Ranger boats--ha ha. Gonna get interesting! When I was young, RedHead was quality stuff. BPS bought RedHead-now buy a ReadHead shirt-wash it 3 times and if your lucky it's big enough to blow your nose on.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 02:29 AM

FTC must approve this I do believe.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 05:42 AM

My favorite tackle shop is within 5 miles of bps and 10 of cabelas. He does quite well offering stuff the big boys won't carry. Not too worried how Johnny spends the money he doesn't know what to do with.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 06:22 AM

Absolutely not a good thing. A monopoly in any industry invokes price gauging without providing consumers a quality made product because there is no one in the competitive market to keep them honest.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 06:39 AM

No it's not good for us.

Honestly, I've been getting so much of my stuff custom made lately I've pretty much phased out BPS from my needs.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 01:14 PM

Tackle is crazy high. The fly shop is the same way, you will pay nearly double the price for fly tying material, than you would anywhere else. Same brand and everything.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Tackle is crazy high. The fly shop is the same way, you will pay nearly double the price for fly tying material, than you would anywhere else. Same brand and everything.

Jesus that's bad. It's starting to sound like Gander Mtn. . .
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 02:01 PM

If BPS buys up Cabela's and some other brands, and their marketing geniuses decide their target consumer demographic cares more about an impressive looking catalog and snappy retail presentation than cost, then places like Tackle Warehouse will flourish because those who care the most about value, convenience, and getting more for their dollar will support them.
BPS and Cabela's stores are husband daycares. I can literally walk around all day in those places looking at stuff. And I do end up putting some stuff in the cart. But at the end of the day, I'll give the majority of my fishing money to the outfit that can give me the biggest return and best service.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 02:40 PM

there is a lot of smart folks that thought they could do business better than bps an cabelas that are not in business anymore.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 02:44 PM

I'm guilty of just wondering around in BPS myself.....can't help it(probably should if the Betty Ford Clinic could help me with that). But like Garvin most of dollars goes to TW or places that I'm more inclined to support.
Posted By: 007.

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 03:21 PM

That's no joke!!!!

Have you priced Seaguar InvisX there? Hell.

Wow! Just checked this out. 20 lb. InvizX is 33.99 at Bass Pro Shops and 19.99 at Academy. I knew it was higher at BPS, but didn't know there was a 14.00 dollar difference for just a filler spool.
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 03:52 PM

You guys crack me up with Bass pro sucks rants if you don't like it don't go but there doing something right to make the moves there doing they seem a lot more successful than most.
Posted By: Ryan Wags

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 04:12 PM

Somebody has to pay for the thick color printed catalogues you receive, and guess who that is????? What they will (and are doing) is raise prices on the leading INNOVATIVE brands, copy it, and push their brand on you. This is a big threat to the manufacturers not making their private label/house brand...Go on-line, and check out LAND BIG FISH. They have great inventory, great service, and the prices are right.
Posted By: Ryan Wags

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pinesjunkie
You guys crack me up with Bass pro sucks rants if you don't like it don't go but there doing something right to make the moves there doing they seem a lot more successful than most.
HUH??? QUE???? IS THAT A SENTENCE???
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 06:22 PM

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think BPS is intended to be a one stop shopping store for hardcore, serious bass anglers. It tries to appeal to families, recreational and multispecies anglers. Throw in the tourism aspect and it is what it is.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think BPS is intended to be a one stop shopping store for hardcore, serious bass anglers. It tries to appeal to families, recreational and multispecies anglers. Throw in the tourism aspect and it is what it is.

I agree. they have very little in the way of bass fishing that you cant buy or order from APT, or a number of other retailers.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

That a good perspective really Mark, business is business. It's certainly not what is best for the customer - oh well. My preference of the two is Cabelas because I believe their purchasing team does a better job of putting higher quality product on the shelf across all categories. It bums me that my choice to go an extra 10 minutes to what I consider is a better store could will be gone.

I shop Tacklewarehouse for my fishing stuff unless its a quick need and I have no problem dropping by like most anglers I would think.

Johnny Morris has a great place called Big Cedar - I have a time share their, he is a great business man and is now even more dominantly the Sam Walton of Outdoor Solutions - will be interesting to see how this helps Academy, Gander Mountain and others.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 08:23 PM

Where did anyone get the Idea that Cabelas was selling out to BPS? Is there some inside scoop that can't be brought in the public eye or just a rumor started somewhere?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/25/15 09:23 PM

Their fudge isn't as good as Cabelas Moose Poo, but on the bright side I may be able to get it at BPS before long. They can keep everything else. Prices are just to high.

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/26/15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Weekender
Where did anyone get the Idea that Cabelas was selling out to BPS? Is there some inside scoop that can't be brought in the public eye or just a rumor started somewhere?

http://sbj.net/Content/TOP-STORIES/TOP-S...BC/18/23/103306
Posted By: RKT

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/26/15 12:54 AM

That is why I am glad for the new companies like Tackleaddicts.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/26/15 01:05 AM

I think they are aiming to make your shopping experience more convenient
Posted By: jamie d

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/26/15 02:17 AM

JOHNNY MORRIS WOULD DO HIMSELF A FAVOR IF HE LEAVE ALL OF HIS BRANDS ALONE AND LET THEM STAND ON THEIR OWN. NOTHING WRONG WITH BUILD THEM IN ONE PLACE BUT LET IT ALONE AFTER THEY LEAVE THE PLANT.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/26/15 02:20 AM

I read through everything I could find and still am not sure where the rumor started but it looks to me like a major investor wants to get a few more cents when they sale off some shares to raise some quick capital. Just my opinion.

Jody
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/27/15 03:15 PM

Would this not be considered a Monopoly?
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/27/15 03:24 PM

Bass Pro is already beyond my price range
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/27/15 03:55 PM

Monopoly, not until they act in a monopolistic manner. You still have competitors. They would have to drive them out and stop new entrants...
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Bass pro rant - 11/27/15 04:17 PM

Look around...BPS is more of an apparel store than anything else. That is where their real money is made.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum