Texas Fishing Forum

Carolina Rig Weight?

Posted By: 361V

Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 02:55 PM

I've been fishing a C-rig for years(many, many years)now. Not my favorite technique but it just works. Usually a 3/4 to 1oz weight and I like tungsten because of the feel for the bottom. Don't necessarily believe it results in more fish but I like the feel. Question: do y'all prefer a traditional shaped "worm weight" or the "flipping style" weight for your C-rig weight?
Posted By: 007.

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 03:08 PM

I prefer the cylinder style weight. I use 3/4 oz. most of the time, but in deep water I will use 1 oz.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPSFinesse-Weights/product/15795/?cmCat=
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 03:20 PM

I use cylinder weights too, lead ones. The only lead weights I still use. Anywhere from 3/8oz if I'm fishing shallow and little wind to 1.5oz in deeper water or wind.
Posted By: buton

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 03:37 PM

i am trying every weight... so far i think lead egg sinker works good because it does not hang up a lot like tungsten barrel weights.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 03:46 PM

I just got some 1 oz steel bullets. I have left so many 1 oz tungsten is Squaw the last couple weeks it's offensive. I went to academy to get more and they were out. I was the one who bought them all. Lol
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 03:54 PM

I prefer 1oz EGG shaped weights. They tend to not get hung as much.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 04:02 PM

I like just your normal egg sinkers. They do not hang up even in rocky areas and I feel the bottom just fine. I usually start with 1/2 oz and move up from there depending on depth and wind conditions. I'll put a plastic bead between the swivel and sinker.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 04:16 PM

I use the brass bullet style weight. Never tried tungsten and doubt I ever do because of the price fifference. I like heavy weights because theh cast well. To help prevent them from getting snagged as easily, you can use 2 smaller weights instead of one large one
Posted By: ChumBag

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I use the brass bullet style weight. Never tried tungsten and doubt I ever do because of the price fifference. I like heavy weights because theh cast well. To help prevent them from getting snagged as easily, you can use 2 smaller weights instead of one large one

That is an awesome idea that I have never thought of. I always use one bullet style and may try two facing opposite of each other. I bet that would add some clicking to your weights as well.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 04:44 PM

Two tungsten 1/2 cylindrical weights together make one heck of a clacking noise.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/19/15 05:29 PM

I use a bullet then a Carolina keeper, The little red keeper thing. Super easy and fast to change. Don't catch much maybe I need to change.
Posted By: Jim A.

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/20/15 01:06 AM

1oz lead worm weight, keep it simple.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/20/15 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim A.
1oz lead worm weight, keep it simple.

+1
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/20/15 02:52 PM

I fish it on the deep contours and like to stroll it using the wind, working the trolling motor to control the drift speed. The heaver the cover, ledges and rocks on irregular features the better.

Breaking off and down time is not something I want to do; so I have learned over the 50 years of doing this how to use lighter weights at 20 to 30 feet without getting hung up. 3/8 oz. is it for me without any sound. Just caught too many big bass to change.

Related story:
Fishing Falcon during the big Bass period in heavy cover at 20 ft. with a partner using 1 oz. weight, beads and clickers breaks off 4 times while I catch a 54 lb. sack in less than a hour on my light rig and never hang up.
I keep my weight pegged and many times will just drift off a point to the magic depth before leaving. On this occasion I was fishing Trig 7" Senko and just slid the weight up the line to get the Crig effect. If it is just for a short period of time just to check the point it will work without twisting the line. When I find fish then I will pick up the Light Crig and work the contour they are holding on at a slow, slow drift.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/20/15 08:51 PM

I use brass bullet weights, for the most part. I, on the other hand, use as light of a eight I can to still feel the lure and bottom. I have fished split shot rigs across the tops of grass beds and done VERY well with that presentation. I rig it with a 1/4 oz. bullet weight and beads for that presentation. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and have fun.

Thad Rains
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Carolina Rig Weight? - 11/20/15 09:04 PM

I like the Jewel 'The Rock'Carolina Rig Football weight. It is designed with two different characteristics that keep it snag free, but it also stirs up the bottom. It has a flat spot and a scoop side on the football. If you rig it with the flat spot forward you can fish it through heavy cover or rig it with the scoop side forward and it will shovel and stir up the bottom. I usually rig it flat spot forward and rarely get snagged.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum