Texas Fishing Forum

Big Swim Baits, What rod?

Posted By: 1 Oar

Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 02:40 AM

Bought some Deps Swimbaits. What rod for 175. What rod for 250? Tired of dinks. Biguns or Nuthin.......
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 02:55 AM

I use the Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan. Love it. Just got the Leviathan in the Levante series and it's great. It's 199.99
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 06:05 AM

Recently, there are a number of options for "big" swimbait rods.

I haven't gotten to try them all obviously, but I n my experience... G. Loomis GL2 SWBR956 is as as close as you can get to a custom big swimbait rod... Dobyn's 867 is on par as well.

Also, I'd recommend a Dobyns 806 swimbait rod (3-8oz Rating).. It is a great all-around-rod for everything from heavier hudds to hollow bellies to 10XD's, to a-rigs.. All while delivering enough parabolic action and cut off point to land those fish on baits with treble hooks as well as the backbone to drive in a hook set with a 3-8oz bait.

Just do your research!
Posted By: moto382

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 07:12 AM

iRod Jr. Swimbait rod for the Deps 175 and iRod Jumbo Swimbait rod for the Deps 250. These are awesome rods for the money.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 12:42 PM

Just put together a Daiwa Luna 253 with a Dobyns 795SB in the Fury series. Pretty sweet setup without a huge investment.
Posted By: Fishing on a string

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 01:04 PM

We have a beast of a rod at the shop, come by and take it out, see if it fit's your needs.
Posted By: DrewG

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 01:26 PM

You really need two rods to throw a 175 and a 250. The Okuma guide select series, now changed to guide select "A" series are fantastic rods for the money.

Generally speaking, youll need an H for the 175 and XH for the 250. The good news is, 6" hudds are great on the H and 8" hudds are great on the XH. A 250 really needs a rod with a sweetspot in the 5-6 oz range to throw comfortably, and those rods wont load up with a 175. Good news is, you get to buy 2 new rigs!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 01:37 PM

Rods I use for big swim baits

Shimano A-rig rod. 7ft 9in. for the lighter stuff.
The following are for the heavier swim baits.

Loomis 8ft Salmon bounce back rod
Dobyns 7ft 9in swim bait rod. This rod is made with two different handle lengths. I have both but like the shorter handle version better.
Falcon Cara 7ft 9in (retractable) swim bait rod.

I use a Lews super duty on the Shimano, a Daiwa Luna 203 on the Dobyns and the Luna 253 on the Loomis and the Falcon.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 02:01 PM

I throw both of those baits on a dobyns 806. Like someone already mentioned the 806 will also handle 8" hudds just fine.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DrewG
You really need two rods to throw a 175 and a 250. The Okuma guide select series, now changed to guide select "A" series are fantastic rods for the money.

Generally speaking, youll need an H for the 175 and XH for the 250. The good news is, 6" hudds are great on the H and 8" hudds are great on the XH. A 250 really needs a rod with a sweetspot in the 5-6 oz range to throw comfortably, and those rods wont load up with a 175. Good news is, you get to buy 2 new rigs!

This.
Posted By: BigTex9

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 03:13 PM

I have the Dobyns 806 rated 3-8oz, and it handles 8" hudds perfectly. I feel like I could use a little more backbone for the Deps 250, but it will do the job. I don't know that I would feel comfortable throwing anything truly 8 ounces on that rod. I really like how the blank loads up, but I've had issues with insert coming out. If you only have one swimbait rod, and you're out to swimbait fish and nothing else, a broken insert will ruin your day...just something to consider.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 03:19 PM

Rogue 796, 807, 808
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 06:01 PM

G. Loomis IMX Swimbait Rod

I'd go with the IMX 955C SWB. It's what I use, and I've had good success with it this Fall so far. I've been throwing big Huddelston swimbaits and the rod has performed flawlessly. It's such a nice rod and I can't describe to you how sensitive it is. It's got a longer handle so you can launch any bait you put on the end of your rod. It pairs well with any reel you put on there and it's just a great rod all the way around.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/17/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
G. Loomis IMX Swimbait Rod

I'd go with the IMX 955C SWB. It's what I use, and I've had good success with it this Fall so far. I've been throwing big Huddelston swimbaits and the rod has performed flawlessly. It's such a nice rod and I can't describe to you how sensitive it is. It's got a longer handle so you can launch any bait you put on the end of your rod. It pairs well with any reel you put on there and it's just a great rod all the way around.

+1
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 1 Oar
Bought some Deps Swimbaits. What rod for 175. What rod for 250? Tired of dinks. Biguns or Nuthin.......

My money is on "Nuthin".I have seen you in action.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 02:09 AM

Check out dobyns swimbait specific rods I have a 795 and it handles 1-5oz lures I imagine your gonnna want a bigger rod for that 250 like a 806 dobyns.
Posted By: knopf

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 02:37 AM

I fish a Dobyns 795SB. I throw mainly Hudd 68's and Wood Lunker Punkers. It is also a good rod for A-rigs.
Posted By: MSC

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 02:39 AM

I love the okuma rods. I have several of the guide selects and this year I just picked up a Okuma EVX861, specifically for the 250. I've tried several others rods and keep coming back to the Okuma.

Here is a write up from tackle tour: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumaevx861xh.html
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 02:43 AM

Dobyns Champion 807. That's what I use. The 250 is a heavy swimbait, you need a seriously stout rod.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Big Swim Baits, What rod? - 11/18/15 04:47 PM

Gotta toss out a recommendation for the Phenix USB-800h. It's an absolutely fantastic rod. I've tried almost all of the rods listed above (except for the megabass) and the 800h would be my personal preference. Might be difficult getting your hands on one in Texas, though, if you wanted to check one out before buying.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum