Texas Fishing Forum

Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story!

Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/15/15 06:36 PM

Just read in last sundays Dallas Morning news in the outdoors section by ray Sasser that the SAL caught by Roy Euper that after officially weighed by the TP&W the 13.2 lber regurgitated a 3lb crappie upon arrival to the freshwater fisheries at athens.
That's Crazy!

I'm thinking we may wanna use a crappie looking lure more often.

Update:Looks like the fish was rejected for not being a true florida strain.
Great fish by any means though.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/15/15 09:37 PM

Here we go. Yall still thinking he caught it on a deep diver
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/15/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
Just read in last sundays Dallas Morning news in the outdoors section by ray Sasser that the SAL caught by Roy Euper that after officially weighed by the TP&W the 13.2 lber regurgitated a 3lb crappie upon arrival to the freshwater fisheries at athens.
That's Crazy!

I'm thinking we may wanna use a crappie looking lure more often.

Update:Looks like the fish was rejected for not being a true florida strain.
Great fish by any means though.

3 pound crappie? That lucky angler reeled in two trophies at a time!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/15/15 10:42 PM

That story.....it sounds vaguely familiar..... Seems like I've..... Nah, I must be mistaken sarcastic
Posted By: fish farmer

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/15/15 11:33 PM

It was 0.3 lb crappie.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: fish farmer
It was 0.3 lb crappie.

Yep:

After the fish arrived at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens, it regurgitated a crappie that weighed 0.3 pounds

http://katytimes.com/article_bf6196f2-88a9-11e5-b972-6b607974b3a3.html?mode=jqm
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: fish farmer
It was 0.3 lb crappie.

Yep:

After the fish arrived at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens, it regurgitated a crappie that weighed 0.3 pounds

http://katytimes.com/article_bf6196f2-88a9-11e5-b972-6b607974b3a3.html?mode=jqm

You know i was kinda wondering if it was .3 or 3 in the newspaper even ask the honey, she said she thought it was 3 i was kinda like no way it was a 3lb thats a huge crappie but so is a bass of that size.
thanks for clarifying think i need to do more research, sorry for the inaccurate Info.
Mods please delete this bogus thread thanks..
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 06:42 AM

If it's any condolence I still don't think a 10 pound bass would have any problem engulfing a 3 pound crappie.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
If it's any condolence I still don't think a 10 pound bass would have any problem engulfing a 3 pound crappie.

I don't think there is any way in hell a 10lb bass could eat a 3 pound crappie.
A 3 pound crappie is gonna be 16" or better. A ten pound bass will be 26" maybe? The math doesn't add up there.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: milkfisher

A 3 pound crappie is gonna be 16" or better. A ten pound bass will be 26" maybe? The math doesn't add up there.

I don't doubt they would try, have you seen the pictures of bass biting off more than they could chew? Heck I have caught 6inch bass on 6xd. I have no problem believing a bass could eat something half its size, or at least attempt it.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Not in this lifetime. At least not in 30ft of water on a crankbait.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: milkfisher

Guess you've never seen a 10 inch bass with an 8 inch shad lodged in his throat.

A 10lb bass will try to eat anything. Two years ago a guy found two floaters on Falcon, one was 11.5lbs, with a 4lber stuck in her mouth.

I dunno if a bass could get a 3lb crappie down, but they'll damn sure try. Believe me.

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat

Not in this lifetime. At least not in 30ft of water on a crankbait.

You ever caught a suspended fish with a crankbait? Lol you guys are so ridiculous sometimes. His boat could have been in 30 fow and he could have been casting into 6 fow. You never know. Assuming you do makes you look dumb.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 04:54 PM

Y'all wanna know the rest of the story? The fish was returned to the angler at Monterey Park. The fish was handed to the angler in a bag to go release back into the lake. He comes walking back up to his boat with the fish in tow and says "I think I'll just keep it". And he pulls out of the parking lot with the fish in his cooler.

Here are the pics to prove it. This story comes straight from the guy that took these pictures. He said the guy hopped in his truck and took off before he and a few other standing around watching it all unfold realized what happened.

Posted By: the skipper

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 05:47 PM

Yall ever heard of brush piles? Crappie like brush piles, big bass like crappie. You can hit the top of a brush pile in 30ft with a deep diver. Mystery solved
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 05:52 PM

I think they were suppositioning he was crappie fishing.
I tend to agree.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 05:55 PM

Wait so he turns it in, gets a free replica and also gets to keep the fish?
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Y'all wanna know the rest of the story? The fish was returned to the angler at Monterey Park. The fish was handed to the angler in a bag to go release back into the lake. He comes walking back up to his boat with the fish in tow and says "I think I'll just keep it". And he pulls out of the parking lot with the fish in his cooler.

Here are the pics to prove it. This story comes straight from the guy that took these pictures. He said the guy hopped in his truck and took off before he and a few other standing around watching it all unfold realized what happened.

Good for him.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 06:43 PM

He decided to keep his legal fish! Why that...

hung
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD

Good for him.

Agreed.

That fish will make a beautiful skin mount.

The fake stuff is just not the same. I say good for him indeed.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 07:04 PM

Maybe he's gonna eat it.

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 07:46 PM

The sad thing about the whole situation is how hard TP&W worked to keep the fish alive and the time and effort spent to return the fish to the guy only for him to kill it. That's basically a slap in the face to TP&W. Hopefully someone within Sharelunker reads this post and will change the procedure to where in order for the angler to be given the fish back, it must be returned to its original water.

For you guys saying it is his fish, and he can do what he wants to with it, you are wrong. He donated the fish to TP&W...therefore the fish is no longer his. He receives a replica for his donation. It is a simple courtesy for TP&W to allow him to personally release the fish himself.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 08:37 PM

Well call TP&W and complain, apparently they were unaware of that and gave possession back to the angler. Always any anglers right to keep a legally caught fish.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 08:45 PM

For you guys saying it is his fish, and he can do what he wants to with it, you are wrong. He donated the fish to TP&W...therefore the fish is no longer his. He receives a replica for his donation. It is a simple courtesy for TP&W to allow him to personally release the fish himself.

But, once the TP&W gives it back to the fisherman, is it now not his.....to do with as he so chooses ?
Maybe he had a tank or a pond he wanted to put it in. Everyone is assuming the fish got mounted or eaten. Instead of thinking the worse, let's think the best.
Did they take the fish all the way back to Sam Rayburn just to give it back to the guy ?

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 08:55 PM

Well call TP&W and complain, apparently they were unaware of that and gave possession back to the angler. Always any anglers right to keep a legally caught fish.

He chose to do what he wanted to do with it....it gave it to TP&W. The fish was no longer his. TP&W simply asked him to release the fish out of courtesy.

Originally Posted By: Nutman
Did they take the fish all the way back to Sam Rayburn just to give it back to the guy ?

Yes, they took it back to Rayburn as a courtesy for the guy to release it. That is what they do for all the fishermen that caught one that gets released.

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 09:28 PM

And it starts to sink in.......

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 09:29 PM

For the record I don't have any quarrels with how he caught the fish or what he did with it. Just funny to see everyone mislead on the forum

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 09:47 PM

For the record I don't have any quarrels with how he caught the fish or what he did with it. Just funny to see everyone mislead on the forum

about?

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 09:48 PM

He chose to do what he wanted to do with it....it gave it to TP&W. The fish was no longer his. TP&W simply asked him to release the fish out of courtesy.

Yes, they took it back to Rayburn as a courtesy for the guy to release it. That is what they do for all the fishermen that caught one that gets released.

This, and everyone saying he gave up rights to the fish are FACTUALLY INACCURATE. The program states:

TFFC is headquarters for the Toyota ShareLunker Program, which encourages anglers who have caught 13-pound-plus largemouth bass to lend or donate the fish to TPWD for spawning purposes.
Posted By: buton

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 09:56 PM

It is hard to approve his decision to keep it but well... he has the RIGHT by LAW..

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
This, and everyone saying he gave up rights to the fish are FACTUALLY INACCURATE. The program states:

TFFC is headquarters for the Toyota ShareLunker Program, which encourages anglers who have caught 13-pound-plus largemouth bass to lend or donate the fish to TPWD for spawning purposes.

So did he lend or donate it? I guess if he did lend it to them, then he is indeed entitled to have it back. If he donated then it's no longer his. So really that statement helps zero with this discussion. eek
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 10:29 PM

He hurried back so fast for dinner
most of his hair blew off. bolt
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/16/15 10:44 PM

Well after holding like that he would need to spend alot of money at the fish dentist anyway
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/17/15 12:15 AM

Probably went in a pond somewhere. hmmm

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/17/15 12:18 AM

"All fish that are not accepted into the breeding program are returned to the lake of origin as soon as they have fully recovered from the initial trip, if that is the desire of the angler who donated the fish."

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/17/15 02:32 AM

Wow this just got a lot funnier. . .
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Interesting Sam Rayburn SAL Story! - 11/17/15 03:01 AM

Do share Jake. Come on. Somebody has got to do it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum