Texas Fishing Forum

wrapping cork handles

Posted By: scram22

wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 04:19 PM

I'm wanting to wrap my handles with something softer and with more grip. I'm not sure what to use. I have tried the elastic medical wrap but it seems to get sticky over time. Just wanting to see if anyone has had any luck with any other material.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 04:27 PM

Several different rod wrap styles, out there. Bass Pro brand, and now Winn grips is making one designed for fishermen, (they make golf grips).
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 08:01 PM

What is the advantage of doing this? So it won't slip?
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 08:08 PM

Tennis racket grip.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 08:17 PM

Home Depot sells a rubberized tape that has no adhesive but it will stick to itself and it comes in clear, red, orange, blue, green, yellow, black.
Posted By: scram22

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 09:33 PM

fishing in the rain they get slippery. don't want to lose one
Posted By: David Burton

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 10:12 PM

Where a racquetball glove. LOL, I like the idea of Grip Tape for a tennis racquet. I just prefer EVA grips myself.

Of course I had to go look, those Winn wraps look nice:

http://www.mudhole.com/Winn-Rod-Overwrap
Posted By: timwins31

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Tennis racket grip.

I few years ago I put tennis racket grip tape on two rods, they still have the same grips on them, still in good condition. The only downside is they add some noticeable weight, but nothing extreme. The grips are really comfortable and the leather gets tacky when it's wet. I've always liked it.
Posted By: 521Rangerman

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/11/15 11:15 PM

The New Accu Cull Grip Saver is designed to protect, repair and identify there fishing rods. Simple heat shrink cover that will last. 5 colors and 3 sizes for all your Fishing Rod needs.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/12/15 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: 521Rangerman

The New Accu Cull Grip Saver is designed to protect, repair and identify there fishing rods. Simple heat shrink cover that will last. 5 colors and 3 sizes for all your Fishing Rod needs.

+1
Posted By: MDM

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/12/15 03:48 AM

Anybody tried baseball bat grip wraps? Have a rod I really like but don't like the cork. Have used a BPS rod wrap for awhile but it's only good for about six months. Have seen Rawlings baseball bat wraps and "Lizard Wraps" baseball bat grips. Both are perforated and have a tacky grip feel. Think I am going to give them a try.
Posted By: furim2

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/12/15 03:22 PM

Cork is the best product for a "full" handled rod. Cork transmits the vibrations from the rod blank, due to a bite, to the hand. Any kind of rubber or wrap on the handle is going to dull these vibrations. Just keep your cork clean, and if necessary, rough it up a little with fine sandpaper.
Have you ever really lost a rod in the rain?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: wrapping cork handles - 11/12/15 03:35 PM

I use Gama tennis grip. Soft ,cheap and a good feel to it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum