Texas Fishing Forum

Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor

Posted By: JWRid

Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/10/15 10:33 PM

I think I have a shielding problem for my trolling motor transducer. I run an Elite 7 HDI on my bow and every time I hit the trolling motor my screen has some "snow" clouding. This happens in the down scan and sonar screens. When the motor is off the screens are clear. The trolling motor is a Fortrex 101. Anyone else experienced this issue? If it is a shielding problem can it be corrected?
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/10/15 10:41 PM

Mine just did this , it was a tear in of the wires on the transducer . If I hit the Tm snowed out the graph and wouldn't show correct depth . Hope that helps
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/10/15 10:42 PM

my dads did this, replaced the transducer and fixed the problem
Posted By: SkeeterZX250

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/10/15 10:45 PM

I have the exact same problem with mine. Hope someone has a cure.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/10/15 10:48 PM

You don't have your depth finder on the same circuit as your troll motor do you?

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 02:24 AM

The trolling motor and the depth finder are on different circuits. Hopefully will not need to replace the transducer. Will check the wires at the transducer.
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 02:47 PM

I found a small cut in the transducer wire insulation right at the trolling motor motor itself. After looking and not seeing anything obviously cut inside the wire bundle, I used aluminum foil around the cut and wrapped it all tightly with waterproof electrical tape. Been working fine since.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 03:54 PM

I have been fighting this problem with my 101 also on my Humminbird.Minn Koto sent me a ring to run my power wire thru but that didn't really help.Now they say I should run a wire between the ground from the trolling motor batteries to the starting battery ground.Haven't done it yet, just putting up with interference in deeper water.
Posted By: monster fish

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 06:56 PM

ok guys I had to figure this out for myself because minn kota customer service sucks. heres what you do go to the hummingbird website and they have a fix for it, if you cant find it, you need to check the fuse under the head cover on the trolling motor, I have no idea why they would put a fuse like that in there....... I guess just to make our lives miserable

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: monster fish
ok guys I had to figure this out for myself because minn kota customer service sucks. heres what you do go to the hummingbird website and they have a fix for it, if you cant find it, you need to check the fuse under the head cover on the trolling motor, I have no idea why they would put a fuse like that in there....... I guess just to make our lives miserable

And what exactly is this supposed to fix? What is the fuse for?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 07:29 PM

Add a ground wire to the clamp on the T/M that holds the transducer and then to a ground wire in the boat. That should help. If you have a built in transducer then you will have to add a clamp to some metal area on the T/M and attach the wire.

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 07:30 PM

apparently the fuse is there to help interference problems with our graphs, but check out the hummingbird website for a better explanation

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/11/15 07:31 PM

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to fix, so check out the website before you do anything else. my fuse was blown.

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/12/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: monster fish
I have spent a lot of time and money trying to fix, so check out the website before you do anything else. my fuse was blown.

Is that only for the trolling motors with built-in transducers? I can't see how that would help an add-on transducer. I will look into this though.

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/12/15 01:17 AM

Humminbird interference fix
This is what I found, the fuse is only for trolling motors with US2.

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/12/15 01:51 AM

Interesting web information. My trolling motor is the US2 model. That may be the issue with my Lowrance.
Posted By: whybass

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/12/15 02:14 AM

there is a simple fix. all you have to do is run a ground wire off the battery that you have the depth finder hook up to the motor via a hose clamp on the motor or you can hook the ground to the ground wire in the tm head. I hooked mine inside the head and have no other issues. some have ran a extra ground to the main battery. hopes this helps.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/12/15 02:18 AM

What trolling motor do you have bill?
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Transducer Shielding on Trolling motor - 11/13/15 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Add a ground wire to the clamp on the T/M that holds the transducer and then to a ground wire in the boat. That should help. If you have a built in transducer then you will have to add a clamp to some metal area on the T/M and attach the wire.

I just bought a new Helix 7 DI/GPS for the bow of my boat. After reading this thread I went home and checked for interference (hadn't put the boat on the water yet)
I did have tm interference but this quick ground wire solution fixed it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum