Texas Fishing Forum

Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine?

Posted By: jafish

Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 03:11 AM

I have never used ethanol gas in my 1994 225 Mercury. I don't use it in any of my small engines either. A guy at the boat shop sold me an overhaul kit for my fuel pump on the Mercury. He told me that his kit was ethanol friendly. I guess he said that because i have an old boat. I was aware the the fuel lines on some boats and Seadoos were melted on the inside by ethanol but there must have been some fuel pump issues too. I keep fuel line in my shop and have changed them out several years ago. These boats hold like 50 something gallons so on a out of town trip i'm still ok in that area. I always take some 5's with fuel but don't seem to need them other than on Falcon or TB. There are two stations in town where I live that sell ethanol-free gas . Do you burn ethanol gas in your engine? I suppose most people would. What about the older boats?

http://pure-gas.org/ The key to finding ethanol free gas
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 02:31 PM

Where do you find ethanol free gas..??
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 02:34 PM

No ethanol free around here that I'm aware of except if you buy airplane gas. I use an additive everytime I put gas in the tank.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 03:02 PM

We have a couple of Conoco stations that offer Ethanol free gas.
Posted By: propman

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 03:19 PM

There's a place in Whiteboro, TX, that sells it but it's so inconvenient to get there that I have always used Premium Unleaded in my '98 Merc. 175 EFI, along with Sta-Bil Marine and/or Bio-Bore and about every other tank full I use Merc. 1 & 2. Yes, I finally had to replace my original fuel lines a couple of years ago but I've never had (knock on my wooden head) troubles other than batteries, impellers and broken trolling motors. Got it serviced at Plano Marine when I lived down in DFW area but now get it serviced by Bear Marine here in Pilot Point every year just to help keep the old girl in tip top shape.
Posted By: aggieman775

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 03:30 PM

They have it over at bare foot bay on Bob sandlin and fishermans one stop on lake fork. I use it in my truck.
Posted By: richg

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 03:33 PM

If I could get it, I'd use it. It is all I used in TN this summer. No places around Houston that sell it, a far as I know. richg
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 05:27 PM

you can replace a lot of fuel lines for what it cost to use ethanol-free

can't get it around here anyways
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 05:35 PM

try this

http://pure-gas.org/
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 06:12 PM

You can get ethanol free if you get away from major cities, like the Metromess.
It's out there.

Ethanol ruins two stroke engines, especially yard equipment.
More micro-management by yore gubbermint.

....but the corn farmers are happy.

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

This is the key to finding the ethanol-free gas for your engine
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
you can replace a lot of fuel lines for what it cost to use ethanol-free

can't get it around here anyways

I disagree with that statement I'm spending 20 cents more per gallon for ethanol free and don't need all the extra additives that way. Imo I comes out cheaper and you don't have to worry about phase separation, fuel line and diaphragm deterioration, and several other ethanol related problems.

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 07:00 PM

the only two places I've ever seen it (at Fork and Pines) it was 50% ($3/gal vs $2) more than the ethanol
Posted By: Big Schwerm

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 07:15 PM

You can get a free app. for your phone its called pure gas .It shows all the local stores that sell ethanol free gas.its amazing how the further east you go the more there are.
Posted By: Big Schwerm

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 07:17 PM

guess I should have read all the previous post
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 07:51 PM

the only two places I've ever seen it (at Fork and Pines) it was 50% ($3/gal vs $2) more than the ethanol

I'm not sure over by fork but I buy mine at the local coop and they are 18-22 cents higher on average. Not a hard decesion for me.
Posted By: richg

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 09:10 PM

I checked the Puregas app a few weeks ago.

Then, I read about all of the places in TX (which is one of the worst States when it comes to E0 gas)....it seems that if you live in any major metro county, that requires EPA testing of your vehicle, you can forget about getting E0 gas.

richg

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

I'm not sure over by fork but I buy mine at the local coop and they are 18-22 cents higher on average. Not a hard decesion for me.

When you put Sta-Bil in this ethanol-free gas it last for a long long while. I use my boat freakrantly but there are times i don't need to worry about setting. In the old days this ethanol-free gas was known as White Gas. We used it in Colman gas fueled units and small engins that were subject to lead buildup. It gets better mileage due to the fact it has more BTU than ethanol. My younger friend has started useing it in his 250hp Yamaha.

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/10/15 11:52 PM

white gas is kerosene
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 12:12 AM

Ethanol free is all I use !!!
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 12:19 AM

The only marina at Sandlin sells it and yes all I will ever put in my boat, mowers, etc,
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 12:27 AM

I fill up with ethanol free every time I get a chance.
Posted By: Brian@LFR

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 12:54 AM

We have it at Lake Fork Resort. Right now we are $2.49/gallon.
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 03:12 AM

white gas is ethanol free, but it is what you can burn in a coleman stove, not in your obm.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 03:21 AM

Never bothered to seek it out. Never had an issue in my 1997 Evinrude Intruder. Always use Stabil and run the engine for 10 minutes every couple months even on muffs if I haven't gotten to the lake.

Had carb kits installed a couple years ago and the guy said he'd never seen an older engine that clean. The old carb kit was over 15 years old and showed almost zero buildup. Just use Stabil and don't let the gas sit in the carbs forever. You don't have to pay an extra dollar a gallon for gas to keep a clean engine.

Re: Do any of you use ethanol-free gas in your engine? - 11/11/15 03:56 AM

white gas is kerosene

White gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_ga
Wikipedia

White gas is a common name for two flammable substances. In its most common modern usage, "white gas" is used as a ( generic name ) for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha. White gasoline, also called white gas, can also be a name for pure petrol (gasoline), without additives.

This ethanol-free gas does have additives to get the octane level up but lead is not one of the additives. Thus you can find different levels of octane ratings at the pump. Gulf seems to be one of the higher rated common gasolines but not the highest of all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum