Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette 11/08/15

Posted By: Garvin

Fayette 11/08/15 - 11/09/15 03:23 PM

Nice, cool post frontal conditions at Fayette yesterday. Bright bluebird sky, but happy to be out there anyway since last few fishing trips were rainy and dull. Brought the camera along for some wildlife pics. Tried finessing the flats and creek channels, no takers on plastics in the morning. Did hook up with a nice sized chunk on a chartreuse/black squarebill on the edge of a creek channel. Got her all the way up to the boat and was tiring her out so I could get my hand on her. Right as I bent down to grab her she thrashed again and came unbuttoned. Of course this was to be the biggest fish of the day. Looked to be a solid 4.5, maybe 5 pounder. Big ol' head on her. The rest of the morning was unproductive, mostly cranking around the channels and rocks, and throwing some plastics too. Finally, in the early afternoon, I tried a finesse rig I don't have much experience with called a Neko rig. I set it up with a Strike King Zero (Senko style bait that floats), poked a nail sinker into the head, and a 2/0 drop shot hook, slathered it with my homemade garlic scent, twitched it along the bottom in the trees and soon I was getting bit. Ended up with only 6 for the day, and they weren't big ones, but it was fun catching them anyway. They're a lot feistier than they were in the summertime, and the little guys put up a good fight. They all look healthy and fat right now, too. Looking forward to getting back out there. Here are photos I took of some birds.

Posted By: Nutman

Re: Fayette 11/08/15 - 11/09/15 04:01 PM

That eagle had no problem catching it's fish.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Fayette 11/08/15 - 11/09/15 04:59 PM

Ospreys are true fish eagles.
Posted By: BigTex9

Re: Fayette 11/08/15 - 11/09/15 05:11 PM

Great pics Garvin! What camera and lens were you shooting with?
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Fayette 11/08/15 - 11/09/15 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BigTex9
Great pics Garvin! What camera and lens were you shooting with?

Canon 5D mark III, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS
This is one of the only non-L series lenses I use since I don't have one longer than 200mm. The bokeh is definitely not nearly as smooth as my L lenses, but good enough for fun shooting.
The selfie was just my phone camera, btw.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum