Texas Fishing Forum

a-rig knot

Posted By: Gregg R

a-rig knot - 11/06/15 04:11 PM

Hey guys, whats a good knot using braid tying directly to an a-rig. Thanks.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 04:36 PM

I use the Palomar knot for all my braid ties....doesn't matter the bait for me....
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 05:25 PM

Palomar knot all u need
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 05:47 PM

How in the heck do you do a Palomar knot going back around the entire a-rig?

I use the first knot that my dad taught me for braid a-rigs. have no idea what it is called, but if you know the name I would appreciate it.

works perfect a-rig and heavy braid, never had the knot break, I always have the arm or hook break first.

1. loop the line through eye same direction twice.

2. keeping the line loop open with your left thumb take the tag end and wrap around main line 4-5 times.

3. run tag line back through the loop and in-between both main line and tag line you had held secure and gapped with thumb.

4. pull tight and make sure everything cinched down.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 05:51 PM

^^^^ Sounds like a slight mod to a clinch knot.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210
^^^^ Sounds like a slight mod to a clinch knot.

Double Improved Clinch Knot - nope, they double the whole line.

Basically a Berkley-Trilene Knot

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 06:18 PM

Thanks! Great that I finally have a name to put with the knot dad taught me back in 1980 when I was 6 years old. I used it all those years and now still use with all braid or mono.

Seems to just be called the Trilene Knot

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 07:19 PM

I use a double Pitzen or Fishin fool knot.

A San Diego Jam knot would be another good one to use, and I use 65# braid.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay

I use the first knot that my dad taught me for braid a-rigs. have no idea what it is called, but if you know the name I would appreciate it.

works perfect a-rig and heavy braid, never had the knot break, I always have the arm or hook break first.

2. keeping the line loop open with your left thumb take the tag end and wrap around main line 4-5 times.

3. run tag line back through the loop and in-between both main line and tag line you had held secure and gapped with thumb.

That's the Oldham braid knot. There is not a stronger knot for braid. Alot of Grass Fishermen use that knot.

Terry Oldham/Oldham Jig
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:23 PM

For braid take any regular old knot and double your line before tying it. i like a double uni. but a double clinch knot and a double San Diego jam knot are both strong knots with braid.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ZX 250
Palomar knot all u need

True story. You really want to avoid any type of cinch or friction knot, because they can and eventually WILL slip with braid. If you insist on using some type of friction knot, put some superglue on it after tying.

The palomar knot won't ever slip because of the way it's tied, if tied properly.
Posted By: Viper Rods

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:55 PM

I fish mine with a heavy snap. I'm using a palomar knot on the snap. That way I can change rigs out in just a couple of seconds if need be.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31

The palomar knot won't ever slip because of the way it's tied, if tied properly.

I believe you, just tell me how you tie a Palomar with an a-rig.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertWMoseley
I fish mine with a heavy snap. I'm using a palomar knot on the snap. That way I can change rigs out in just a couple of seconds if need be.

There is a good idea!

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 08:56 PM

Ok, then I have to agree with a question that hasn't been answered and follow-up... Do you really waste all of that line for a big loop to pull the a-rig through, or is there another Palomar trick?
Posted By: Viper Rods

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Ok, then I have to agree with a question that hasn't been answered and follow-up... Do you really waste all of that line for a big loop to pull the a-rig through, or is there another Palomar trick?

Use the snap like I mentioned above. Save time, line, and frustration.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 09:08 PM

Palomar knot. For everything!
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 09:11 PM

Concerning the palomar....that's what we use.

You have to make a big enough loop to where you can hold the rig together and stick it back through it. When it's all pulled tight, you end up cutting off 8-10" of braid.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 09:16 PM

Here is a You Tube link to the knot I think you are talking about. I use this not in almost all applications now...braid, fluoro, mono. Have not had it fail yet. Quick and easy knot.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31

I believe you, just tell me how you tie a Palomar with an a-rig.

What do you mean? You have to make the tag end about 2 feet long so it fits over the rig, it's really not that complicated.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertWMoseley

There is a good idea!

If you ever hang that a rig on something, you're likely going to lose it with that snap. If you're tied directly to it, you can usually straighten one of the hooks or break off an arm and keep using the rig. Just some food for thought.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

You end up trashing about 12-14 inches of line. . .which is probably worth about three cents. I don't really think it's a big deal.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 10:22 PM

1st thing....don't have swimbaits on it if you want to be faster. If you have baits on it already, the arms of the Arig should be flexible enough to lightly hold together and slip a 8-12" loop over/around it....ok you lose maybe a foot of line...but the knot is worth it and it wont break. If you are really worried about losing $.03 of line, you are also too cheap to throw an Alabama rig in the first place. Just sayin
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 11:00 PM

I throw a-rigs on 25lb p-line and use a san diego jam knot.
Posted By: 361V

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 11:34 PM

Improved Clinch. I don't want to lose an A-rig any more than my other lures! No braid for me.

Re: a-rig knot - 11/06/15 11:41 PM

Man I don't have the stones to throw one on anything but braid. . .I also use some not so cheap swimbaits on mine too tho, if I lose an rig I'm out about $60-$70. . .

Re: a-rig knot - 11/07/15 12:48 AM

Not cheap about line, hate spooling the reel so often and/or loosing cast distance. I've lost my share of fully rigged a-rigs too, but I do use braid. Just have been doing various doubled knots, and hadn't worked that Palomar through there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum