Texas Fishing Forum

uni to uni vs. Alberto knot

Posted By: lizardfliper

uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 10:18 PM

anyone used both for braid to flour leader line? If so whats your thoughts? Arron Martens says the alberto knot comes through the guides and lays on the spool better. Im going to give it a try, youtube has some good videos about how to tie this knot. cheers
Posted By: B-rader

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 10:46 PM

I like the alberto
Posted By: SAT_Bob

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 11:26 PM

I've used both and think the Alberto is the smoothest. A little more difficult at first but easy once you get the hang of it.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 11:33 PM

The best leader knot to go through rod guides is this one:

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/fc-knot/
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

It might be the smallest going through rod guides but try tying that in the boat when it is windy out. The Alberto has never failed me. I will stick with it.

Netknots.com is a good place to learn how to tie many different knots.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/04/15 11:59 PM

FG knot! Smallest, strongest knot out there! Look it up!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 01:41 AM

Alberto/Crazy Alberto
Easier to tie than uni to uni and much easier to tie than FG. Self corrects as it is cinched down. Never had a problem with it.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 04:19 AM

Crazy alberto knot for sure.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 04:25 AM

That may be a great knot but I would lose it trying to tie that out on the lake.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
I like the alberto
Posted By: lizardfliper

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 05:46 AM

I like the the ease of the alberto knot, ive looked at that FG knot and i will give up fishing before i go there lol
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 11:42 AM

my main knots are uni to uni, loop knot for top waters and palmar, I like the Alberto knot. have to give it a try
Posted By: Brad R

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 12:14 PM

A Uni junction knot is one line wrapped around two for a total value of 3; an Alberto is one line wrapped around two, then wrapped again for a total value of 4; an FG (not an FC as the one source noted above mislabels it)is simply two lines "plaited" together for a total value of 2. So, the FG is, by far, the slimmest of these three junction knots and it tests way stronger, and is stronger, in actual applications.

But, line width is only one metric and another is the functional length of knots, so a Uni junction knot is longer than an Alberto because it comprises two knots slamming into each other while the Alberto junction knot is stacked making it shorter. That seemingly tiny extra length of thickening for the Uni makes a difference (a negative) when it is passing through the rod tip as the knot doesn't bend as well.

I can feel/hear either a Uni or an Alberto junction knot being reeled in, rarely hear or feel anything casting out line; but, an FG acts as if no knot is even there. You won't hear or feel a thing as it passes in or out.

Agreed: I only tie an FG as I put on fresh fluoro before each trip out. If I break off a leader, much harder to do with an FG, I tend to tie a Uni Junction knot on the water. I'd likely tie an Alberto but I use the Uni for my tackle knot, too, so I tie it better.

FG tip: Forget about that nonsense tying an FG by leaning the rod away to apply tension and holding the line in your teeth. This is the way I think it is best tied. It takes a bit of practice, adds a bit of time, but worth learning. Look here:

Best FG tying technique

Brad
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 12:25 PM

the Uni to Uni caught the 12 on drop shot, so must be good. smile I use the Alberto though and if tied right, seems bullet proof and goes through guides smoothly. however, takes awhile to master it. if you don't do it just right it will slip out with just light pull. also, if you do the 7 up and 7 down right on top of each other it defeats strength of knot and makes it too lumpy for guides. when you get good the 7 back almost exactly fits between your 7 up, which results in bullet proof knot and long small diameter for guides. I don't think I've ever broken an Alberto at the knot, somewhere along the leader or lure always breaks first.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 12:28 PM

I'm still interested in trying the Caldemeyer knot, he posted video, looks like the easiest leader knot I've ever seen and he swears by the strength. I've just never tried it.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/05/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

It might be the smallest going through rod guides but try tying that in the boat when it is windy out. The Alberto has never failed me. I will stick with it.

Netknots.com is a good place to learn how to tie many different knots.

I use and tie the FC knot in any conditions. I use that knot for my rods with micro guides. I use the uni-uni with other rods.
Posted By: cfisch007

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/06/15 02:42 AM

I like Alberto, but use yucatan. Easier to tie and smaller knot
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: uni to uni vs. Alberto knot - 11/06/15 11:53 AM

Alberto without a doubt. I primarily crappie fish and had issues with the double uni breaking before my lure knot. After 3 years using the Alberto I can only remember breaking it 3 or 4 times. FWIW I fish 20# braid with 8-10# fluoro in brush.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum