Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool

Posted By: Bill Durham

Joe Pool - 11/04/15 02:31 AM

Is it open? Still says 4.9' high on the website.

BD
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Joe Pool - 11/04/15 02:54 AM

There should be a ramp open loyd closed at 9 ft high last time it flooded.Ima check the state park tomorrow
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Joe Pool - 11/04/15 03:26 AM

It is open
Posted By: Cwhen

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 12:56 AM

Oasis boat ramp is open. And also south ramp at state park
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 12:59 AM

Yep. I'll be using Lynn Creek (Oasis) in the morning.
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 02:22 AM

Lynn creek park is closed. Lloyd is open and the Oasis said if it rises another 3 feet they will close their ramp.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 02:25 AM

How's the fishing I chickened out
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 04:22 AM

I'll be out Friday (tomorrow) from 1:30pm-Dark:30
Little blue ranger. Say hello.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 05:56 AM

Good thing I saw this, I was headed to Lynn tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 01:03 PM

Fishing had slacked off. I think that they are back in the new water, where you can't get to them now. Bite was tough for me.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 01:21 PM

Caught them last week in the new three feet of water. In bushes. Don't know about today. Gonna drop my daughter at school and head out.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 01:23 PM

Anyone confirm Lynn is closed?

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 02:07 PM

The Lynn creek (park) is closed for Christmas lights marina is open
Posted By: gpbassbuster

Re: Joe Pool - 11/06/15 10:24 PM

lynn creek park closes from oct 1 thru feb 28 for the fall/winter- reopens on march 1st.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 12:06 AM

The lake is about 5 feet over pool, fishing today was slower than in the past...I caught 8 bass today largest was about 3 pounds...most of the others were 1 pounders or less..all came on finnese fishing up in the brush shallow...missed several ...hard to distinguish the bite from all the brush...more than a few hang ups as well...overall very nice day...but hard to find old spots since all the familiar bank land marks are under water...Water was very stained out of Loyd park...but was pretty clear up by the dam...the dock at Loyd park is under water (walk way) so you will have to use the ramp or nearby shore for parking your boat.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 12:12 AM

Had a tough day as well. Bunch of dinks up shallow in the brush. Went to a few offshore brush piles and lost one, then just went home. Still a consistent bite though.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 02:08 AM

I had a GREAT day on pool. Haha. One of my best ever. Caught 6 overs and about 14-15 slots. Only one under. It was expensive though. Lost too many jigs to even count.

The big girls ARE in the trees and flooded grass. However, the flooded grass and trees are in 3-4ft, so me and my nitro went Cajun style. Lol. All up in the bushes. The bass were way up in the brush. I threw Denny Structure jigs with rage craw trailers all day. Black and blue with black and blue trailers.

I ended my day losing my last jig on the rocks by the marina. I must have looked funny trying to use a lure knocker to try and get my jig from a rock in two feet of water. Lol.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 02:13 AM

I actually took a shortcut from the dam BEHIND the first point into the first cove. Never touched bottom. Haha. All my fish came from the first brush pile to the left of the dam discharge thing to the second point and second cove on the west side of the lake. I was the guy that looked like a fool taking my boat into the trees. Several times. The luxury of an older boat that is already scratched up a little.
Posted By: Snagalager

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 02:29 AM

Six over 21" is a good day.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Snagalager
for me it was a great day. Haha. Especially after having my co angler a few weeks ago win the big bass tourney from my boat with is 7.75. Haha. While all I caught that day was slots and unders. Lol.

My goal today was to catch a nice over. The first over came on the 5 or 6th cast. From a bunch of flooded grass around some floating logs. From that fish on, I stayed in the weeds and trees.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 03:11 AM

We had a tough day only had 27 overs and 1 under no slots...... Nah lol.congrats steez. I caught one with a baby bass in its throat tho.there in the backs of the coves eating shad

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Snagalager

You caught 6 overs????

Geez. I was having a tough day
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 12:14 PM

The weather and other things have stopped me the last few weeks. I guess I will head on out there--even though it is raining.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: wagonwheel
The weather and other things have stopped me the last few weeks. I guess I will head on out there--even though it is raining.
go towards the dam. Stay in the first two coves on the west, closest to the dam. Get your boat up in the sticks and throw jigs as far up to the bank as possible. Also flip to every tree stump that hasn't been in water recently. If the tree is hanging its branches in the water creating a green cover.....it has a good fish in it. At it did yesterday morning.
Posted By: Wayne McLean

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 04:37 PM

Steez--6 overs on Joe Pool is a MAGNIFICENT DAY!!!---Back in the day, when I fished Pool 70+ times a year, I caught my share of overs, but my very best day was three. Congratulations!!

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 08:43 PM

Thanks folks. Wish I was there today, instead of winterizing my beach house. Had to pick a weekend. Haha. Next weekend is toughmans on stillhouse. Then thanksgiving. Ahhhh the sacrifices. And San Luis pass is ROUGH AND WINDY. no fishing for me here.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 10:29 PM

I won the working mans tourney there today, it was rainy and cold!!!

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 10:37 PM

Steez was that you on the Nitro 160 (I think)??

If so, we talked a bit while passing in one of the coves near the damn. I was on a white and copper/gold Skeeter.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 10:50 PM

Yes, that was me in the old Nitro 640. Nice talking. I was jealous of your boat. It is really nice.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/07/15 11:38 PM

Thanks, for that...Nice to see you killed it!!

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 12:32 AM

Steez.. was it a morning bite, afternoon bite? just curious

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Durham
Steez.. was it a morning bite, afternoon bite? just curious

It was good from 7:30 - 2:30 or 3:00. Never really let up. I just started getting tired of losing $5 jig after $5 jig. Lol. Tried a green pumpkin colored jig and went without a bite. Tied on another black and blue and went back to each hole I tried the green on and caught two more. The color was the difference. The bite, I am sure, would have been going strong if I hadn't burned through almost every similar colored jig I had. I didn't try a Texas rigged rage craw. With a small tungsten weight. I bet that would have worked even better. It would have been less snaggy

On a weird note, the bass were really bloody and beat up looking. Their lower fins and tails were really bloody. I guess from chasing food through all the new rough grass, sticks, and trees.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 12:52 AM

may go out tomorrow- just not too early- hands dont like it when it is cold suppose to be in the 40s early.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: gpbassbuster
may go out tomorrow- just not too early- hands dont like it when it is cold suppose to be in the 40s early.
I would if I was in town. Instead, I'm in a "tree house" on Galveston island. And its rocking in the steady 35 knot winds. Unbelievable rough surf. The winds are blowing tidal water over blue water highway. Haha. Makes for a fun drive with the wife in my jeep.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 01:14 AM

sounds like fun. be safe out there

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 05:31 AM

I'll be there tomorrow morning... Little blue ranger, throw rocks at me and say hey

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 02:41 PM

Leave all my spots alone. I wanna go whack 'em when I get back to Dallas.

Haha.

Just kiddin. Good luck
Posted By: dynatrakben194

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 05:07 PM

not all the big girls are up that shallow.
had a nice 7 lbr on square bill in 7-8 ft off a point.
boat shallow throwing out to deeper
Posted By: matt varnadore

Re: Joe Pool - 11/08/15 09:28 PM

I was on pool today. I fished a green pumpkin/red fleck craw in the sticks and trees Plenty of slot fish can be caught around the shores. No overs for me but a few unders were caught. Overall it was a great day.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/09/15 12:21 AM

Hey Matt what kind of boat and color was it?

Re: Joe Pool - 11/09/15 01:32 AM

it was pretty windy in the a.m.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/09/15 03:52 AM

I went out there for three hours tonight. Tried red eye shads. For two hours. Nothing. Went all the way back to the boat ramp to get my new black n blue jigs from Walmart. Had about 30 minutes of daylight. Went back to the dam. Caught three fish on five casts. One over, one slot, and one short.

Same as last time. Same area. Same trees, then lost a jig and went home. Lol. Couldn't stand it. I wanted to spend all Saturday and Sunday on Pool. I spent all Saturday driving to my beach house to ad RV antifreeze to the sinks and toilets and set the A/C to "heat". Lol. "Winterizing" bought a flipping rod from a pawnshop in lake Jackson. A Castaway with WinnGrips. Retailed for $259. I paid $120. Couldn't wait to get back to Dallas. I got home at 3pm. And was on Pool by 3:30. And forgot all my new jigs in my Jeep. Lol.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Joe Pool - 11/09/15 10:48 AM

I tried a blue/black jig when I was out there Saturday morning and fished in the same places as you. I got nothing with it. I did pretty good with the tomato red trick worm on the shaky head on the weightless snake-o (reddish color). Guess I need to practice more with a jig.
Posted By: matt varnadore

Re: Joe Pool - 11/09/15 05:53 PM

It's an 18 ft triton white and red
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Joe Pool - 11/10/15 11:03 AM

Heading out to Joe Pool for the first time this morning. I'm assuming a ramp is still open at Lloyd Park? Also, is the lake pretty open to run on the northern end? Thanks.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/10/15 12:31 PM

Be careful coming out of LLOYD

When you get past the bridge, headed north, it pretty much safe everywhere, with exception to some shore lines. The north end is safe. Some of the points have a few sawed off stumps on them. But, with the lake so far above, even they are hard to hit. Lol.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/10/15 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Be careful coming out of LLOYD

When you get past the bridge, headed north, it pretty much safe everywhere, with exception to some shore lines. The north end is safe. Some of the points have a few sawed off stumps on them. But, with the lake so far above, even they are hard to hit. Lol.

Thanks man. Is there a certain side I should favor coming out of Lloyd? Or is it pretty common sense when you see it?

Re: Joe Pool - 11/10/15 01:04 PM

I always stay left of the power lines.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/10/15 03:17 PM

probably too late to comment, but coming out of Loyd Park with the lake 4' high is no issue at all.. but when its normal pool.. its pretty skinny close to the points on both side of the creek. I like to go straight out of the creek for about 1/4 mile before I turn left toward the bridge. Probably overkill but that point on the left comes out a long way.
Yesterday I fished from around 1 till dark. Caught my last fish off a tree that would be high and dry under normal pool right there by the ramp at Loyd.. I was throwing a Owner 3/8oz shakey head jig with a black and blue Grande Bass Rattlesnake.. The bite was better when it was overcast, but I caught fish all afternoon.

Re: Joe Pool - 11/11/15 12:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Caught 6 small ones and lost a slot fish. Overall had a good time for first time on the lake, its definitely nice out there. Will be going back for sure!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum