Texas Fishing Forum

Best Shakey Head setup?

Posted By: MagFluker

Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/02/15 09:38 PM

I know it comes down to preference, so here is mine. I am looking for the right Rod/Reel combo for Shakey Head Flipping docks, rocks and shoreline (we don't have much timber so not looking for heavy cover flipping here in Centex) I like 15# flouro. I might have the combo already without knowing it. I am doing this now more than ever so trying to maximize this technique.

Rod Length:
Rod Action:
Reel gear ratio:
Left or right retrieve:

You can throw in Brand if you want, I know what I like cool

The countdown to Black Friday is on!

Thanks
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/02/15 10:13 PM

G. Loomis GLX

For the rod, I like the 802S JWR. It's a 6'8" rod that has a medium action but has a solid backbone. This length will help you be able to skip under docks as well. Not to mention, this rod is freakishly light!

Shimano Stradic CI4

I use the 2500 size in the 6.0:1 because you need the speed when a fish picks up your bait and starts swimming with it. This reel is light, powerful and has a smooth drag system which is gonna help with those bigger fish or when a fish gets you wrapped around a dock piling.

Left or right hand doesn't really matter. Just go with what you're comfortable with.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/03/15 12:17 AM

6-8 or 7 ft. M/H rod. Many rod brands would work well. I would choose from these: Reel Time Rods custom Bushido, Loomis KLX or IMX, Powell Max or Max 3D,Kistler H3 and Dobyns Champion or Extreme.
12-15# Invizx
Lews BB1 Pro, Curado 50E, Daiwa Steez Gear ratio--7-1 if the reel is made in that, if not then a 6-1 gear ratio.

I use baitcasters for this, not spinning tackle.

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/03/15 01:01 AM

Thanks
Posted By: cbow44

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/03/15 06:12 PM

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/ike-mighty-shaky-head-part-2
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/03/15 06:54 PM

I use a 7ft medium spinning rod with 12lb line for finesse stuff most often.

Re: Best Shakey Head setup? - 11/03/15 07:03 PM

Waiting on his power fishing article on the Shakey head, thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum