Texas Fishing Forum

Rain Gear

Posted By: Jpurdue

Rain Gear - 11/01/15 11:34 PM

The thread from a few days ago concerning the $1000 dollar rain gear got my brain on the topic. I saw a few positive comments about H20 Xpress rain gear. Friday night I went and bought a jacket from Academy and put it to the test Saturday morning. The good news is I had one of my best mornings of fishing ever, the bad news is in little more than an hour of light/moderate rain I was soaked all the way through. Very disappointing. I'm not sure if I got a defective jacket or what the deal was. In any case, I'm going to return it. I've decided to up my budget to get the best I can afford. I've got a $300 dollar budget, what would you all recommend?
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 01:25 AM

I'm purchasing cabelas guide gear gortex suit.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 01:44 AM

Look for guide gear in the bargain cave will be the best deal you can get. Or just fall in the lake first thing in the morning then you won't need rain gear smile
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 02:23 AM

My bass pro suit was great for awhile until this spring so I sprayed it with water proofer and it works great again now
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 02:42 AM

Been looking at the Simms
But have trouble with spending that kind of money
Will probably go with bps 100 mph gear
Posted By: gonefishin84

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 03:12 AM

I had bought a H2o express rain jacket and bibs this last week, as soon as I got it home I sprayed it with heavy duty water repellent. Wore it today and it kept me dry all day on ray bob.
Posted By: Chuck29

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 03:28 AM

Well Friday I like to have drowned in froggtoggs, so Friday night went and bought the frabil suit for Saturday stayed dry all day long

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 12:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. At this point I think i'm leaning towards BPS 100mph, although my $300 budget is going to be quite a lot short. Man, this hobby is expensive.
Posted By: RBO

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 01:08 PM

Gill is really stepping up their game in the fishing market. They've been the leading foul weather gear for the off shore and competition sailing segment for many years.

Check out the close out section on their site for some great deals if you're trying to stay in that price range.

Or look at the fg2 series. It's comparable to Guidewear or BPS 100 in price.

I've worn the os2 jacket and bibs for 3 yrs and they are super dry and comfortable.

Gill Fishing

Posted By: Allison1

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 01:36 PM

Cabelas Guidewear used to go on sale every December or January. You could almost get it for 300 bucks.

Now it seems they are almost always on sale but not as deep of a mark down as they used to be. If they go on sale later this year I will get another set. I've had mine since '97 and want a new suit.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 05:07 PM

Huk is on sale for $125 a piece,closeout price on current style. New style out in December for $225 a piece.

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 05:28 PM

Has anyone tried the Huk gear?
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 05:33 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1318375

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/...Y_SEQ_104090580

Goretex jacket and bibs for $300

The jacket isn't as nice as the Guidewear stuff but it will keep you dry in all conditions.
Posted By: nofish65

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 09:41 PM

My son has some HUK gear. So far so good. Runs REALLY small. Order up in size if you try it.
I have Cabelas Guide wear myself, I love it and would not trade it.
Posted By: MikeB123

Re: Rain Gear - 11/02/15 09:54 PM

Okay, I'm going to let the cat out of the bag. Early this year I did a lot of research on best rain gear for the money. Quality is the biggest factor, if it doesn't work then what's it's purpose. Take a look at Gander Mountain guide series TecH2O bibs and jacket. I've been very happy with mine. I was also told by the person at checkout since it's a gander mountain product they'll exchange it with no hassle. The only time I got wet is when I didn't tighten the wrist straps, water ran down under the neoprene cuffs. I fished in the down pours the past two weekends and stayed dry. Believe the bibs are $70 and the jacket is $80. Also you won't look like every tom, dick and harry at the weigh in with the BPS 100 mph gear.
Posted By: Flyer

Re: Rain Gear - 11/03/15 02:33 AM

I've had good luck out of my Frogg Toggs. I bought the bibs and the jacket, not the cheapo set that's in a bag. The better set kept me dry EXCEPT where it was stretched tight from my knees, and my head (draw string around the hood was tight). They tighter spots were only damp, not wet. I took them on a cub scout camp a couple of weekends ago, the bibs were great. The jacket was getting a little damp. I re-water proofed it with NikWax and I have no doubt it'll keep me as dry as the first time now.
Posted By: mwag76

Re: Rain Gear - 11/03/15 04:25 AM

+1 Gander Mountain guide series TecH2O. Not goretex but works really well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum