Texas Fishing Forum

Opinions on a tough lake....

Posted By: redskeeter190

Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 01:40 PM

I'm the coach for a high school bass club....we have a tournament on a highland reservoir.....lake levels are about 25' low....normal winter drawdown....gin clear water....water temps in the low 60s....nothing but, rocks/bluffs for cover....what's your techniques?????
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:01 PM

If I had the time to practice. I would spend the first 2hrs fishing the banks and 2ndary points. If nothing, I would Go to main lake and graph. Look for bait. Then I would go back to the backs. I would spend at least 4hrs graphing. If the conditions are that horrible. I would fish for a limit. bandit 200, baby brushog, 1/2oz jig, ect. Find the Bait, be the bait, catch the fish.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:07 PM

I would fish shakey heads on steep drops with rocks present. Maybe throw some SQ bills early

Assuming no time to practice/ graph
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:07 PM

drop shot with a 3-4" bait.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:11 PM

Sounds like A-Rig time...
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:12 PM

Ned Rig and Dropshot for numbers. Then a jig to cull!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:29 PM

Find the bait then
Ned rig, drop shot, Neko rig in white/smoke/morning dawn/other shad colors
Smaller suspending jerk baits in ghost patterns, silent square bills and Bandit 200s in shad and ghost patterns
Double fluke rig with super flukes and super fluke jrs matching the bait. Without knowing what the shad or other baitfish look like, I'd take some white ice, disco green for that gin clear water
Take some green pumpkin dip n glo in case there's a rain/water gets more stained.
Hair jigs
Underspins
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:51 PM

I'd try a 5/16 oz finesse jig or a shaky head. If there's a fish nearby, it should eat it. But I like a squarebill this time of year
Posted By: balata9999

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 02:54 PM

I would cover water and fish fast. Use something that will get active fish in the area to bite, you're can call a bass in super clear water from a long way. You could end up wasting the day fishing with a slower technique just trying to find fish, even if you are able to graph some bait. A topwater walking bait, a small spinnerbait, and something like a hula grub football head jig or biffle bug. Work fairly quickly and if its not producing move until you find something. I would definatley start pretty far up a creek this time of year, but fish quickly till you get some bites. I would favor shallow rockpiles or points much more than bluff walls right now if the water is still in the 60's
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 10:46 PM

jerk bait on 6-8 lb line

small swim baits on 6-8 lb line

drop shot on 6-8 lb line

A rig not on 6-8 lb line laugh
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 10:56 PM

I would go old school and throw a 1/4 and 1/2 oz. Little George off the bluffs.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/30/15 11:05 PM

Drop shot natural colors... 6-8 lb line and small baits
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/31/15 03:07 AM

If you've never fished a Ned Rig, now's the time. It was invented for conditions just like that.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/31/15 04:02 AM

Topwaters, Arig, finesse football jig, drop shot & crawfish wiggle wart.
Posted By: jafish

Re: Opinions on a tough lake.... - 10/31/15 04:36 AM

Early early YM top water up by the rock bluff. Move it in that clear water so they don't get a good look at it. If it's deep loud and slower if it's shallow lite sound and move it faster.
Wind blowing into the bluff helps a bunch. Even better if it is shaded and the bite will last longer. After the top bite stops worm but move it in that clear water. Keep the boat out from the bite. Stay back in the clear water with longer cast. Cross your fingers.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum