Texas Fishing Forum

Help on Ray Roberts

Posted By: KenH

Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 12:58 AM

I have the day off tomorrow and am looking to go to Ray Roberts in the morning. I have not been on the lake in about 4 years so I was looking for any pointers or area's of the lake to start.

Thanks
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 01:03 AM

What ramp are you planning to use bud?
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 01:09 AM

Two weeks ago for me it was main lake points, rocky areas and dead weeds early afternoon on. I never passed wolf island north. They were all in 4-8ft range. I was using crank baits and spinner baits. Best fish and bites were around wolf island.

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 01:23 AM

State Park, but I can put in anywhere.

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 02:06 AM

I'll be at state park in the morning aswell, I would recommend sand branch about halfway back squarebills natural shad patterns, spinnerbait, bladed jig and cover water till you find them they have been grouped up in areas my last few trips. You will catch alot of small ones, but the bigger ones have started showing up more regularly the last few trips. I think tomorrow is going to be a great day to fish I plan on fishing till about 4 or 5. With the weather moving in friday I think they will be really feeding up tomorrow. I have been wrong before, if you see me out there say hi I'll be in a white and silver skeeter zx250. My plans are to hit sand first thing and then head to wolf and Indian to do some exploring. Good luck to you bud!

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 02:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I will be in a white and silver Triton TR196. Good luck tomorrow.
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I'll be at state park in the morning aswell, I would recommend sand branch about halfway back squarebills natural shad patterns, spinnerbait, bladed jig and cover water till you find them they have been grouped up in areas my last few trips. You will catch alot of small ones, but the bigger ones have started showing up more regularly the last few trips. I think tomorrow is going to be a great day to fish I plan on fishing till about 4 or 5. With the weather moving in friday I think they will be really feeding up tomorrow. I have been wrong before, if you see me out there say hi I'll be in a white and silver skeeter zx250. My plans are to hit sand first thing and then head to wolf and Indian to do some exploring. Good luck to you bud!

He is spot on. Watched a couple of his post and wacked them last Thursday right before the storm started.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 06:20 AM

I'd definitely go with what Brad tells you. He's a stick on Ray Roberts!! Good luck to both of you tomorrow, it should be good before the storms on Friday!

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaguar6
I'd definitely go with what Brad tells you. He's a stick on Ray Roberts!! Good luck to both of you tomorrow, it should be good before the storms on Friday!

Now that statement is funny, I'm far from being a stick on ray roberts that lake kicks my butt more times than I would like to admit. I have had a few good trips lately though and the lake is fishing really well right now so that helps.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 11:47 AM

Very nice to see some folks actually willing to help a fellow anger with some details on his day off.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 01:34 PM

...about halfway back squarebills natural shad patterns, spinnerbait, bladed jig and cover water till you find them they have been grouped up in areas my last few trips. You will catch alot of small ones, but the bigger ones have started showing up more regularly the last few trips.

This is what I have found to in other areas like Indian, Buck, etc. I caught about 50 out of two spots on my last trip. It was similar the trip before with some scattered fish with a few areas were loaded. A small medium diver, shad color, like a Bomber 5A,4A or Bandit 200 have been producing a lot of fish too.

The quality was a lot better last trip with more of them in the 2#-3# range showing up than the little bitty guys. Makes for a enjoyable day either way.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 02:17 PM

I fish the sanger side mostly and this pattern holds true there too. You can add flipping soft plastics and small jigs in the same areas if you like doing that as well.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 06:30 PM

Brad is "Legend" on Roberts I would do what he says.

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/29/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Well if my attempt to help the guy out was so far off maybe you should give some advise bud. I also never claimed to be any good on ray roberts.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/30/15 12:04 AM

Geeze Brad that went over well huh?
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/30/15 03:41 PM

Chill out Brad. At least you can paint better than you can fish LOL!
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/30/15 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Well if my attempt to help the guy out was so far off maybe you should give some advise bud. I also never claimed to be any good on ray roberts.
popcornI didn't mean it in a bad way it was advice that is spot on.
Posted By: steelers

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/30/15 09:13 PM

Im out of town on business and all I can think about is the bite on RR. I've gone every Monday since last Monday and quality increased as the water temp decreased, makes sense.

let us know how its fishing. I will not be back until late November......
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 10/31/15 02:17 AM

lake is rising fast again!
Posted By: kyle_skaggs

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/02/15 09:54 PM

Anyone going out to Ray Roberts this Saturday? I am thinking of dropping in at Buck Creek but not really sure where to head....I am new to fishing the lake.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/02/15 10:14 PM

I'm planning to be there Fri-Sun. I caught all my fish last weekend in Indian and the creeks just south of Wolf Island

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/02/15 10:56 PM

Main lake points with deep water near by. Catching fish in the first 1/3 of the creek but not any further back. We are pitching small soft plastics and jigs and fishing spinner baits and square bills in the same area. Cover water and when you get bit, fish that area good even if you catch some little ones. For quality, having confidence in a bigger bait seems to be the key right now. It is hard to do when you know you will get bit every pitch with a shakey head or drop shot but you have to put it down or fish a bigger version of the same bait if you want to catch quality. The nasty days the fish seem to be really tight to the cover and the nicer days they seem to be roaming and chasing bait a little more. Not sure if this is everyone's experience right now but this has been my pattern for two weeks. It is a lot of fun out there right now!

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/02/15 10:59 PM

The better bites I got on Saturday were on the first break about 1/3 of the way back in a creek. Fish were in timber in about 10 foot on the edge of a drop to 20. Besides that it was all short fish on square bills and blades

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 12:39 AM

Drop shot hhhmmm
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
Fish were in timber in about 10 foot on the edge of a drop to 20.

I have always heard 90 percent of the fish were in 10 percent of the water, this report means 90 percent of the fish were in 80 percent of the water at RR.

Fish a seasonal pattern and you should get bit. Remember fall means shad migration up the creeks. look at your map, and fish the creeks with the best defined creek channel.

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 02:09 AM

Agree on fishing seasonal patterns , I have had almost zero luck fishing timber lately.
Posted By: Lu32

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 03:11 AM

Those dinks love a shakey head it's like a every cast thing now! These guys are on the dot with fishing seasonal patterns. I tossed a squarebill today got some more size throwing that until I got a treble to the thumb lol.

Lucas

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 01:05 PM

Agree on fishing seasonal patterns , I have had almost zero luck fishing timber lately.

X2

There are spots that have timber and spots that don't in the areas I am fishing but the fish are not relating to it, they are ambushing bait.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 02:50 PM

Isle du bois creek just sayin.....

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: meP2too
Originally Posted By: 04champ
Fish were in timber in about 10 foot on the edge of a drop to 20.

I have always heard 90 percent of the fish were in 10 percent of the water, this report means 90 percent of the fish were in 80 percent of the water at RR.

Fish a seasonal pattern and you should get bit. Remember fall means shad migration up the creeks. look at your map, and fish the creeks with the best defined creek channel.

yeah, out of context that sentence sounds stupid. just where I got my better bites that day, one stretch that matched that description.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/03/15 06:37 PM

One thing I noticed Sunday was that the dinks that used to nibble on my plastics are big enough or hungry enough to actually eat the bait now so I had a lot more hookups. The big bites came on a chatterbait with a boot tail trailer or an Mpack swim jig with the same trailer.

This wasn't the biggest catch of the day at just under 2 lbs but it was the prettiest.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 02:46 AM

How are you fishing halfway back in Sand and not fishing around timber?

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 02:53 AM

I'm not fishing the timber I'm fishing the structure.
Posted By: propman

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 03:47 PM

Had a decent day Tues. 3rd with most fish caught north of the Indian Creek bridge on east side w/green senko w/ lots of chartreuse in it and small multi-bladed white spinner baits. Several keeper size with largest at 3 1/2# had a couple of small ones actually leap out of the water trying to catch the lures. Was able to see them hit and miss too. Had some stikes but no fish east of the island across from Wolfe Island. The was no baitfish activity that I could see anywhere and didn't see any until I went down in Sand Branch and I fished a couple of hours there and saw some bait activity and lots of birds but no fish. Everything was short striking a small swim bait. Had fun which was most important.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Rudy knows Roberts cheers peep

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Rudy when do you wanna go fishing bud?

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/04/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: propman
Had a decent day Tues. 3rd with most fish caught north of the Indian Creek bridge on east side w/green senko w/ lots of chartreuse in it and small multi-bladed white spinner baits. Several keeper size with largest at 3 1/2# had a couple of small ones actually leap out of the water trying to catch the lures. Was able to see them hit and miss too. Had some stikes but no fish east of the island across from Wolfe Island. The was no baitfish activity that I could see anywhere and didn't see any until I went down in Sand Branch and I fished a couple of hours there and saw some bait activity and lots of birds but no fish. Everything was short striking a small swim bait. Had fun which was most important.

The bait fish I saw tuesday were suspending in about 10ft of water in most of the creeks. Never found any up shallow like I did last week.
Posted By: Lu32

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/05/15 12:04 AM

Man with all this info I might mess around and catch a personal best.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Help on Ray Roberts - 11/05/15 05:07 AM

Yesterday I went into the creeks on the west side of the lake (Pond, Union). Found shad up shallow but had a hard time getting bit. Finally saw a school of bass chasing shad in 2 feet of water and caught basically all of them on a square bill, all 1-3 pounds. That's how its been for me the past 3 weeks, fish forever with no bites and then see fish hitting the top in shallow water and catch 10 fish in 10 minutes. No big bites to speak of, but some good 3 pound fish. Also caught several 14 inch white bass up shallow.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum