Texas Fishing Forum

Sunglasses.....

Posted By: musiclife_7

Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 08:02 PM

Lost my Wiley X glasses in an unfortunate experience on the water....looking to replace them with another really nice set of glasses. I'm debating between Costa, Wiley X and Oakley....Shoot me some input!

If you chime in, please state "WHY" not just a brand name....Money isn't really an issue as I expect to pay $200-400 for them probably.....
Posted By: 361V

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 09:04 PM

Costa De Mar in Blackfin frames w/580 glass. The frames provide the shading I like for my eyes(wide sides) and the 580 glass is extremely clear. For bright sunny days on the water I like the blue mirror or green mirror glass. Like high-def glasses.

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 09:11 PM

Thanks 361V!!! Yeah I have a wide face so I was looking at those frames for Costa. Is there much of a difference between the blue and green?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 09:26 PM

I use Oakley out of loyalty mostly. Their customer service has been really good to me. They are really clear and comfortable because of the lite weight and the rubber ear sleeves keep them in place. Amphibia's would be a good choice if dropping in water is a problem because they float but I have no personal experience with them as far as fit and comfort. I also have a couple of pairs of the Strike King S11 that I keep in the boat and they work as good as my Oakley's do and I would have to drop 5 pairs to feel as bad as I would if my Oakley's went over.
Posted By: hyperdav008

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 09:34 PM

Costa
Maui
Oakley
Amphibia

Costa fits me the best and has the best glass out there, maui are a close second, Oakley if i cant find the first 2. Amphibia sink like a ship.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 10:22 PM

I have the Costa Fantail 580g green mirror and they are great, very clear, and crisp.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
Thanks 361V!!! Yeah I have a wide face so I was looking at those frames for Costa. Is there much of a difference between the blue and green?
To me there is not much difference between green or blue but I prefer the green. Costa's website is real handy for discriptions of different shades, styles.., Lists the different sizes/fits of the numerous frame styles. Important for a water head like me! :-)
Posted By: JayInNRH

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 11:25 PM

Costa has the best color differentiation and contrast to me. Very vivid compared to cheapo lenses.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 11:42 PM

I have Costa Fathoms 580 green mirror and blue mirror but like my Amphibia's better
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/28/15 11:46 PM

whats up with amphibia? figured you would have the hook up with Brandon.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 12:08 AM

You have to check often because the inventory changes daily, but this site is where I buy Costa's. Thay have other brands heavily discounted also.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/costa-and-native-sunglasses-on-sale#?brand=Costa
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 12:15 AM

I've had my costas for three years and they are falling apart. I will go back to Wiley x or amphibia.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 01:01 AM

I'm a costas guy all the way. Glass lenses are better than any poly lens out there. Hands down. Yes, glass lenses are heavier, but the clarity is signicantly better. IMO Oakleys are junk. I have never owned amphibias, so I can't speak to them.

BTW,
blue mirror was designed for off shore (think salt water off shore or blue water)
green mirrow was designed for inshore(or shallower water)
Silver mirror was a shot at sight fishing murkier shallow water typical of bass fishing.
At least this is how it was explained to me.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 01:38 AM

I own Maui Jims and Costa's. I prefer the Maui Jims hands down myself. I just sent them back to get repaired/replaced for a very reasonable price after my 8 month old lab chewed them to pieces.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 01:57 AM

I have Oakleys, think they suck for fishing. I've tried a couple of different lense colors and it hasn't made a difference. I also think that the S11's from Strike King are better than Oakley.
I had a pair of Costas before the Oakleys. Good glasses but I had a lense fall out and couldn't get them warrantied so I walked away from them.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 02:27 AM

I've had oakleys, costas and amphibias. The film wore off the oakleys within a couple of years and Oakley said it was normal and would not warranty them. Costas just weren't very good in my opinion and I had the 580 glass with blue mirror. So my latest pair is the amphibias and they are my favorite. Comfortable with great polarization. Customer service is awesome as well!! I would give the amphibias a shot if your open to something new.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 03:15 AM

Oakley are great glasses but u will get better clarity with Costa. I have had both and prefer the costa for fishing and my oakleys for everyday use and out door activity the oakleys are lighter and more comfortable but like I said costa's clarity and glare resistance are better IMO. I use green mirror for cloudy days and blue mirror for sunny days

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 01:32 PM

Awesome yall. Thanks. I'm going to check out Amphibia today. I appreciate it.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 02:01 PM

Costa's are by far the best out there. I know tons of people that wear the 580g glasses and Ive never heard a complaint. I have 2 pair of blackfins, one in silver mirror and the other in green. Ive had the silver mirror for a few years and they still look brand new.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 04:55 PM

I chose Costa glass lens sunglasses a few years ago after checking out all the name brands. According to my eyeballs they were the best for me. Seeing is believing.
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 05:29 PM

I have a pair of Costas w/ glass lenses. Super clear, crisp, and I like the way they fit on my big noggin, but man, when it's hot and humid outside, like in the summer right after a rain shower, they fog up like nobody's business, almost to the point of unwearable. The glass lenses also get a little heavy by the end of the day, but not so much I would switch to poly.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 05:50 PM

I'm just curious if the people who spend $200-$400 on a pair of sunglasses are the same folks that complain about $70k bass boats?

My last two pair have been Natives. They are Costa's sister brand (according to a Costa rep - I didn't know that before). About $100 bucks. Nice lenses, good quality.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 07:04 PM

Try my Costa's on Saturday and see what you think. I cant wear them now since my contacts are no longer an option. Im not sure what frame they are, but they are the 580G in green mirror lenses. They arent real dark, but they are very clear.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 07:16 PM

Worn them all and the Maui Jims and Amphibia are my favorites. Both look good, are very light, and have different styles/frames/lens to fit the conditions. If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with the Amphibias. I've had mine now for 3 years and they are holding up very well. My Maui Jim's nose piece fell off about 2 years after I bought them and customer service sent me a new pair no questions asked.(I did have to mail in the old pair)
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 07:37 PM

I love my Costa's for fishing. In fact, they stay in the boat. I have Maui Jims for driving and other stuff. The Maui's are great glasses, and very comfortable, i just prefer the Costa's for fishing.

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: deuce41
I'm just curious if the people who spend $200-$400 on a pair of sunglasses are the same folks that complain about $70k bass boats

Obviously not. If they don't mind spending money on glasses, more than likely they are willing to spend money on other things.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 08:11 PM

I'm just curious if the people who spend $200-$400 on a pair of sunglasses are the same folks that complain about $70k bass boats?

My last two pair have been Natives. They are Costa's sister brand (according to a Costa rep - I didn't know that before). About $100 bucks. Nice lenses, good quality.
HA HA Yes that was me complaining about the 70k boats and I have oakleys that the finish on the lenses do wear off after about 2 seasons and just bought some Costa's fantail 580p green lenses on "EBAY" not as clear as the oakleys and do tend fog more. $200 wont keep the kids out of college lol
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
I'm just curious if the people who spend $200-$400 on a pair of sunglasses are the same folks that complain about $70k bass boats

Obviously not. If they don't mind spending money on glasses, more than likely they are willing to spend money on other things.

Was just having some fun. The old "bass boats are so expensive" thread seems to come up every few months & so many chime in in agreement..."yeah, they're ripping us off", "they can't sustain these prices", etc...then another thread pops up about $400 sunglasses & $100 lures and everybody's like, "yep, that's me!"

I know it's all relative and purely anecdotal, I just find it funny.
Posted By: Fishn4fun1972

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 09:23 PM

Alot of difference between eye protection and a luxurious ride. Rather have a headache from a boat than having one from straining my eyes all day from cheap sunglasses. Maui jims all the way. Give your eyes the best u can get.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/29/15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishn4fun1972
Alot of difference between eye protection and a luxurious ride. Rather have a headache from a boat than having one from straining my eyes all day from cheap sunglasses. Maui jims all the way. Give your eyes the best u can get.

de
Posted By: czechz18

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/30/15 12:23 AM

Costas, just sent mine in for lease replacement and frame adjustment, it cost me nothing and had them done in a week. It is the first time I paid a lot of money for glasses and will never go back. You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Jim A.

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/30/15 12:26 AM

I have a wide face also, costa tuna alley 580 g
blue mirror and the amber for cloudy days. when the sales rep got a key and went all over the lenses and not a scratch.
also very clear and fit well.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/30/15 03:57 AM

Have a pair of P-17 wileyX that I really like but the lenses are really scratched up so I have a pair of SK right now till I can get some new costs.

Re: Sunglasses..... - 10/30/15 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm buying the Costa Cortez Green Glass!!! Wife really liked the Amphibias as well and is going to buy them for me for Christmas!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum