Texas Fishing Forum

jerkbait rod preference

Posted By: hawgcaller

jerkbait rod preference - 10/26/15 11:55 PM

I'm going to work on my jerkbait technique this fall and winter and would like to know what type and length rod do some of you guys use. I am a short guy, 5' 10'', and am thinking I need a 6' rod to properly fish a jerkbait. I am thinking maybe a medium action with a fast tip. Will this type rod be sufficient for what I wnat to do? Give me some feedback, please. Thanks.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: jerkbait rod preference - 10/27/15 01:17 AM

I'm same height and I throw a 6'10" M fast. I can work the bait without hitting the water with rod tip and still have plenty of backbone and play in the rod. The rod is actually designed for inshore fishing for specks and redfish
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: jerkbait rod preference - 10/27/15 01:30 AM

6' medium action rod with a fast tip is perfect for fishing jerk baits properly!

Good Luck with your search, rod companies have determined longer rods are all we need anymore.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: jerkbait rod preference - 10/27/15 01:40 AM

I am 5 11 and use a 6' mh fast St Croix legend. I like the shorter rod so I don't hit the water when working the bait
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: jerkbait rod preference - 10/27/15 01:44 AM

I use a 7' medium with a fast tip. It is a Cashion rod from their "Jerkbait/Topwater" series. I use a Team Lews Pro 7.1-1 left handed bait casting reel on it. I usually use 8-10lb InvisX line.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: jerkbait rod preference - 10/27/15 03:05 AM

G. Loomis E6X Crankbait Rod

I suggest that you try the 843CBR. I put my hands on these rods a few weeks ago and I must say they have the quality of a $300 but with a $180 price tag. They have everything that G. Loomis is known for but cost about half of what it should. It's a very light and sensitive rod and will suit your jerkbait needs just fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum