Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek, bank fishing, FG knot

Posted By: Brad R

Squaw Creek, bank fishing, FG knot - 10/26/15 12:25 AM

Friends had a big day yesterday fishing with Dannie Golden, caught around 30, then the tournament winner caught 30 lbs. so I headed out to bank fish Squaw today.

Not bad with 5 bass and one really huge Tilapia. The guys on Golden's boat caught a couple of huge Tilapia, too, 3 or 4 lbs. large. They are really getting big out there.

Anyway, anyone who bank fishes Squaw knows it is a "snaggy" place and you are going to lose hooks and sinkers. I did . . . losing a couple of drop shot rigs, and a couple of weightless Fat Ikas. But, as I was forced to break off each of these, what gave way was down near the hook, not the junction knot where my 10 lbs. Sufix 832 main line joins to an 8 lbs. Seaguar Invizx 8 lbs. leader.

Gosh! I had posted in "knots" that I was going to revert to a Uni junction knot, that I would still experiment with the FG. I had been having some issues on tying it consistently. Anyway, I think I figured it out, and what a super knot the FG is. It tests much stronger than a Uni or Alberto/Albright junction knot, and it is much narrower. Instead of wraps, the two lines are plaited together.

At the end of the day, I finally broke off a final time, my signal to go home so I snapped a photo back at the house of the knot that stood up all day. It got a little fuzzy on the back side but you'd never know it was even on my line as it is so quiet passing through the rod tip. It isn't much larger than the larger of the two lines joined.

Hmm? If I were out on a boat and broke off my leader, and not rigging up before a fishing trip, I might go ahead and tie a Uni or a Albright since they are so fast and easy. But, this is my go to knot for setting up gear ahead of time.

Anyone using the FG?

Brad

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Squaw Creek, bank fishing, FG knot - 10/26/15 01:42 AM

I have heard this knot tested well for strength and small diameter so I watched several videos on how to tie it. Even though according to tests It is supposed to be stronger than the Alberto knot and it may very well be, but for me, I have never had the Alberto knot fail and it is way easier to tie especially when you are on the water, so I will just stick with the Alberto.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum