Texas Fishing Forum

Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22

Posted By: Mark Perry

Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/22/15 11:00 PM

Fished about an hour or two late yesterday and literally took 5 minutes to get first bite. Ended up with 8-10 bites all on pitching a Texas rigged green pumpkin craw around shallow hardwood stumps etc around LFM. Bite was fairly strong when they hit it and all in all a fun evening. Couple of OK unders, some small fish and a slot fish up to about 6lbs maybe.
Got on the water this morning and went to a new area and same deal. Fished till noon or so. Took a couple of minutes to get bit and then it was on. Had a few bites walking a Megabass Giant Dog X in white python just up along flat points near Oak Ridge. Rest of day I was flipping large hardwood stumps along shallow points etc. with same bait as last night. Had a decent dock bite too. They were absolutely crushing it today for the most part. Biggest tip I can give is to not assume a fish just pecking at it as a dink. Had a nice 6-7lber that absolutely felt like a peanut as it was hitting. Finished the day with probably 15-20 bites. A handful decent unders, some runts and the couple of fat slot fish and the fish noted above.

Considering the Berkley and Sealy were in last few weeks plus all the normal traffic the fishing sure have been consistent. Have had a day or two where it was tougher but it seems there are plenty of fish willing to bite lately. Been some fun trips as of late. This cooling water should only help. About time to start rigging up more than one jig rod too. woot
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/22/15 11:03 PM

thumb happy for you Mark. Great day. Keep the write ups coming.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/22/15 11:56 PM

Good report Mr. Perry. Thanks for sharing the info..
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:14 AM

Nice Mark!

But, do you have a clue as to what made Lake Fork the jewel of Texas fishing lakes?

I heard somewhere that you can read about it and look at the records, but unless you were a part of it, you'll never grasp it.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Nice Mark!

But, do you have a clue as to what made Lake Fork the jewel of Texas fishing lakes?

I heard somewhere that you can read about it and look at the records, but unless you were a part of it, you'll never grasp it.

bolt

I am just happy they are biting. The rest is out of my control. I am a fireman not a biologist.... woot.... It might be old and washed up but I love it just the same. cheers
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:19 AM

thumb
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:42 AM

Great Report Mark thanks i just love the lake too i been going to fork since 91-07 then started back in 2012 and catch fish almost every time out only been 3-4 times i have zeroed since coming back in 2012.
love your reports keep em' coming.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:53 AM

Nice Mark!

woot woot woot woot

Glad to here there is still a slot fish living out there. roflmao

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
Nice Mark!

woot woot woot woot

Glad to here there is still a slot fish living out there. roflmao

There were a couple...... woot

Had to be blind and crazy to bite for me though.... roflmao

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:12 AM

Glad you had a good time. That is really all that matters.
thumb
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:22 AM

Good job Mark. Nice write up. Wish I could have made it out there Wednesday or Thursday. Have fun Clowning around this week.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:39 AM

I was looking out the window all day thinking with this front moving in it would have been a great day to fish, but I had to work.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:57 AM

Thank god!! I thought the good fishing days were long gone! Whew!!

Good job MP!
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:03 AM

Nice Mark!

I see where I had a post deleted, so I'll be nicer with my language.
I've been a part of Lake Fork since I was 23 years old, and Lake Fork has been a part of me as long.
Honestly, Doug R., you disagree with my assessment of Fork, but in reality, you don't have a clue as to what this lake was.
You, and Mr. Perry, COMBINED, don't have the history behind you about Lake Fork, that I, and others have, much less, the experience, or Knowledge.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:08 AM

Richard you keep saying give Fork a break . What do you propose that we do ? Quit fishing the lake ?
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
Nice Mark!

I've been a part of Lake Fork since I was 23 years old, and Lake Fork has been a part of me as long.
Honestly, Doug R., you disagree with my assessment of Fork, but in reality, you don't have a clue as to what this lake was.
You, and Mr. Perry, COMBINED, don't have the history behind you about Lake Fork, that I, and others have, much less, the experience, or Knowledge.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:10 AM

Also, I may be the only person campaigning to relieve the pressure on Fork's yearling bass, But many more that are less vocal know that Fork is under duress now, and a rest is needed.
I can take the hits, and will continue to voice my opinion.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:12 AM

Posted By: K.D.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:12 AM

Wow. And all these years my secret wish was to spend a day on the water with you, Mr. McCarty. At one time I owned the videos you did on the various seasons on Fork and even had the script memorized, I watched them so many times. I still remember the trap fish you caught on the main lake by Lake Fork Lodge during a 40 degree morning, and the footage of you catching a 10 pounder right after coming back from lunch.

I held you in such esteem but I have to tell you, after reading your posts here the past few weeks, I could give a f&$; less if I ever meet you, much less pay you to take me fishing

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
Richard you keep saying give Fork a break . What do you propose that we do ? Quit fishing the lake ?
Nice Mark!

I think we should look at the current state of the fishery, and maybe allow the current year class of fish to mature.
The tournament anglers on Fork target the fish less than 16 inches, and I would like to see these fish get a rest from this, and allow them to attain the 16" length, so that that fish can be protected by the slot limit, and have a better chance to spawn, and re-populate the lake.
Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:17 AM

Nice Mark!

You know Mr. McCarty I can't recall ever questioning you or your knowledge of Fork. Didn't know we were in a measuring contest here. I have been nothing but complimentary of you and will continue to be. Not sure why you want to take a shot here. I respectfully bowed out of the other post about the current condition of Fork. I left that for all you guys who know a ton more about the lake.

Like I said I am a fireman not a biologist. That being said there truly is no need for you to get on a good natured post about a fun 2 days out there and sour it up with repeated comments of doom and gloom. This ain't a tourney post. We get it, Fork ain't what it used to be. I guess in all those years of you out there getting yours it was OK for people to enjoy Fork. Now that you have retired its apparently not OK for those of us who fish it for fun to enjoy it. No one was talking about a tournament here. It was a couple of days of fun fishing.

The best I can tell you is its a public lake. I kinda think my tax dollars and the money I spend out there give me just as much right as you or anyone else to fish even with my limited experience on Fork.
I enjoy fishing a lot. I enjoy fishing Fork even more. I enjoy talking about fishing and learning about fishing. None of that is gonna change anytime soon.

Like I said the other day. I wish nothing but the best for you. I have no axe to grind with you and no need to keep beating this dead horse. Take care and good fishing.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Wow. And all these years my secret wish was to spend a day on the water with you, Mr. McCarty. At one time I owned the videos you did on the various seasons on Fork and even had the script memorized, I watched them so many times. I still remember the trap fish you caught on the main lake by Lake Fork Lodge during a 40 degree morning, and the footage of you catching a 10 pounder right after coming back from lunch.

I held you in such esteem but I have to tell you, after reading your posts here the past few weeks, I could give a f&$; less if I ever meet you, much less pay you to take me fishing

Sorry to hear this.
Do you think, at this point I am voicing my opinion for personal gain?
I would really like to see you, and others, experience what I was able to.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:23 AM

I was a part of the good fishing on Fork. Started fishing Fork in 1990. For five years, we absolutely wore the fish out. It was nothing to catch 50 fish in a day from 4-6lbs. And there was always a biggen or two in the mix.....7+, every trip. Those were the days. IMO, that lake has never been the same since the first LMB virus hit in 1995. Although, I still love to go to that lake for a couple of days and fish, but when the trip is about to end, I can't wait to get the heck outta there. I caught Fork in its heyday, so I guess it has got back even with me for the last 20 years. And I'd even say it's ahead now!!! bang bang

The fish population is just not there anymore IMO to ever get back to famed status. Some guys do good out there, but not me. I know it still has giants but I'll never hold my breath while fishing there.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Nice Mark!

You know Mr. McCarty I can't recall ever questioning you or your knowledge of Fork. Didn't know we were in a measuring contest here. I have been nothing but complimentary of you and will continue to be. Not sure why you want to take a shot here. I respectfully bowed out of the other post about the current condition of Fork. I left that for all you guys who know a ton more about the lake.

Like I said I am a fireman not a biologist. That being said there truly is no need for you to get on a good natured post about a fun 2 days out there and sour it up with repeated comments of doom and gloom. This ain't a tourney post. We get it, Fork ain't what it used to be. I guess in all those years of you out there getting yours it was OK for people to enjoy Fork. Now that you have retired its apparently not OK for those of us who fish it for fun to enjoy it. No one was talking about a tournament here. It was a couple of days of fun fishing.

The best I can tell you is its a public lake. I kinda think my tax dollars and the money I spend out there give me just as much right as you or anyone else to fish even with my limited experience on Fork.
I enjoy fishing a lot. I enjoy fishing Fork even more. I enjoy talking about fishing and learning about fishing. None of that is gonna change anytime soon.

Like I said the other day. I wish nothing but the best for you. I have no axe to grind with you and no need to keep beating this dead horse. Take care and good fishing.

I have no axe to grind with anyone on this forum.
I am simply trying to raise awareness to the current state that Lake Fork is in.
I want others to have a chance to experience what I've been able to.
I have purposely tried to avoid taking a shot at any individual, although I've been accused of doing so.
My only interest, is wanting Lake Fork to be great again, for future generations.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:28 AM

Sorry to hear this.

Lots of us remember those days. Many of us "weekend warriors" have fished Fork regularly since the late 80's or early 90's.

But once you start the personal attacks and holding your experience over others like some sort of trophy, all respect is lost.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
Great Report Mark thanks i just love the lake too i been going to fork since 91-07 then started back in 2012 and catch fish almost every time out only been 3-4 times i have zeroed since coming back in 2012.
Nice Mark!

Sir I started fishing Fork when I was I was 15 in 1984. I fished it a lot from then until 1995 when I quit fishing for approx 10 years and started back in 2005. So, I was present during the "good ole days".

You, from what I've heard have a lot more experience with the lake than almost anyone, nobody including myself seems to question that. Not sure if you want a pat on the back or a crown or something. I have stated that in other threads I agree with the fact Fork has been beat to death by pressure and also Mother Nature.

So, what exactly is your deal? Why do you try and bash others and make people look like you're the only person, along with a few others that know about the lake? There are many people that know Fork and have fished it through the good and bad times. You don't have to be a guide to put a lot of time on the water.

I'm not sure if you know Mark, I do and he's a friend and a good guy. So me poking fun at him and using your post that was honestly rude and tainted with arrogance, shouldn't bother you. But, apparently it does.

Lakes get old and go through periods of being less productive. Fork is there now. The lake will never be what it was "back in the day". And the pompous attitude you display towards anyone that's not in your "inner circle" is tiring and that's my option and I'll stick to it and own it .

I never claimed to posses 1% of the knowledge you have of Lake Fork and I never will, but I do know you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:35 AM

Sorry to hear this.

Lots of us remember those days. Many of us "weekend warriors" have fished Fork regularly since the late 80's or early 90's.

But once you start the personal attacks and holding your experience over others like some sort of trophy, all respect is lost.

If this post was to me, I'm sorry you interpreted my post this way.
I have no intent to elevate myself above any other angler.
I have not intentionally attacked any other angler.
I simply have voiced my opinion about the current state of Fork, and have expressed my views on what it might take to recover.
Please review my posts, with this in mind.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:39 AM

Keep the informative posts coming Mark, always make me feel like I was there at my favorite spots when the lake first opened. It's not what is was, never will be but still an awesome fishery (on weekdays).

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:42 AM

Nice Mark!

Sir I started fishing Fork when I was I was 15 in 1984. I fished it a lot from then until 1995 when I quit fishing for approx 10 years and started back in 2005. So, I was present during the "good ole days".

You, from what I've heard have a lot more experience with the lake than almost anyone, nobody including myself seems to question that. Not sure if you want a pat on the back or a crown or something. I have stated that in other threads I agree with the fact Fork has been beat to death by pressure and also Mother Nature.

So, what exactly is your deal? Why do you try and bash others and make people look like you're the only person, along with a few others that know about the lake? There are many people that know Fork and have fished it through the good and bad times. You don't have to be a guide to put a lot of time on the water.

I'm not sure if you know Mark, I do and he's a friend and a good guy. So me poking fun at him and using your post that was honestly rude and tainted with arrogance, shouldn't bother you. But, apparently it does.

Lakes get old and go through periods of being less productive. Fork is there now. The lake will never be what it was "back in the day". And the pompous attitude you display towards anyone that's not in your "inner circle" is tiring and that's my option and I'll stick to it and own it .

I never claimed to posses 1% of the knowledge you have of Lake Fork and I never will, but I do know you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Sir, your post was a blatant, sarcastic attack against me, and a post I made on another thread.
I do not have an "inner circle" as you propose.
My only concern, is the future of Lake Fork.
Again, if I am alone in this campaign to raise awareness about protecting Lake Fork, I am willing to take your criticism.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:42 AM

Maybe you should reread what you wrote to Mark and Doug and the comments about their experience COMBINED....see if it doesn't sound like you elevated yourself and/or attacked another angler.

It shouldn't be hard to find...several have quoted you here

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:50 AM

Maybe you should reread what you wrote to Mark and Doug and the comments about their experience COMBINED....see if it doesn't sound like you elevated yourself and/or attacked another angler.

It shouldn't be hard to find...several have quoted you here

In response to a personal attack on me, I simply pointed out that COMBINED, they don't have the time on the water that I do, and could not possibly see the things that I have.
This statement in no way, elevates me above either one of them as an angler, it simply states that I have seen where Fork was, to where it is, that they could not.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:59 AM

Nice Mark!

Sir, your post was a blatant, sarcastic attack against me, and a post I made on another thread.
I do not have an "inner circle" as you propose.
My only concern, is the future of Lake Fork.
Again, if I am alone in this campaign to raise awareness about protecting Lake Fork, I am willing to take your criticism.

I took your personal attack on Mark from another thread and posted it to rib Mark. I'm sure you're older than I am, so I'm certain you must realize if you make blatant statements that others may, for a lack of a better term, consider arrogant and somewhat absurd on a public forum, you might think they could be referenced or posted again.

If I hurt your feelings that wasn't my intention. If so, I apologize. My only knowledge of you first hand is from what you've posted on here and I stand by my opinion that those posts have an air of arrogance. I stand by it and I own it.

No hard feelings on my part.

Thanks
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 03:14 AM

Some of you guys are absolutely ate up with your own BS. It's great to hit the TFF and get an internet high five from your homers when you got some quality bites on Fork today. Yipidee-shatzz, good going and congrats. I guess it's a thing from the "everybody gets a trophy" generation. There are, of course, still good fish in the lake to be caught.

Now, maybe try and pay attention. Nature throws us curve balls and things change. People are slow to react if they react at all. Lake Fork could possibly benefit and come back around to some extent with a good management plan. R.M. is making an effort to even bring up the conversation and discuss some possible ways to improve things in the near future and it is being met with a bunch of shallow minded blabbering at best. The TFF isn't really friendly to those that don't have a rainbow shining out of thier arse.
Posted By: RW Fred

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 03:20 AM

Mark,

Appreciate your reports. Keep them coming. I prefer to know how the fishing on Fork is today, since I will be heading there soon.

Darn it, can't fish yesterday, just today and tomorrow.

Take care.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 03:24 AM

My post to Mr. Perry in the other thread started with,"respectfully",
You are not the first to accuse me of "having an air of arrogance"
Due to the fact that I am somewhat an introvert, I'll excuse that.
Again, my sole concern is the future of Lake Fork.
I would truly like to see others experience what I was fortunate to experience.
If we keep on the current direction, future fishers will never be able to.
I also stand by my convictions, and own them, even if I own them alone.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 03:24 AM

Talk about getting derailed........

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 03:54 AM

ibtl
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 04:01 AM

I've only fished the lake for a couple of years. More often than not, I get less than hoped for but have had enough great days to keep going back knowing that those fish are still there. Its reports like these that get my hopes up when things are slow for me. Will be back this weekend rain or shine. cheers
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 04:03 AM

The internet has killed more bass than "LMBV" (really bull [censored] - TPW sprayed the grass and killed the bass)...... Richard is alright......he's just saying what most people won't..... Let the hydrilla grow and don't allow a single tournament for 24 months and see what happens......
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 04:04 AM

Posted By: David Burton

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 04:32 AM

I laughed! Get a sense of humor, people.

I just don't understand, well, yeah I do... The thought is, 'we had our time on the lake', that's all that matters! I also find it interesting that the 50 fish days didn't do the harm that the tournaments do. Shouldn't there be some blame pointed AT the "old timers", if the lake isn't what it used to be?

Oh, that's said with "All Due Respect":

Quote:

Mr. Dennit: Ricky, your little obscene gesture is going to cost you 100 points. Do you know how much that costs us in sponsorship dollars?
Ricky: With all due respect, Mr. Dennit, I had no idea you'd gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed.
Mr. Dennit: What did you just say to me?
Ricky: What? I said it with all due respect!
Mr. Dennit: Just because you say that doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want to say to me!
Ricky: It sure as hell does!
Mr. Dennit: No, it doesn't--
Ricky: It's in the Geneva Conventions, look it up!

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 11:43 AM

I agree! When it's to their benefit it is ok. Same as some of the guides! They want tournaments shut down, but yet they stick more fish than anyone. I am sure a few of those don't quite get the hook in the proper area, and expire. It always amuses me to see the ones with a hidden agenda start spouting off about how all would be well if just the tournaments were banned. Get a grip people! We all pay the same to fish this great state! Just because you decided to make a risky career out of fishing... Not our problem, get a different career or move to the coast!
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:07 PM

Mark- Keep the reports coming!! I rarely get to fish Fork so like knowing what is going on in case I get a weekend to sneak away and fish it. My biggest is only 5.5lbs out there and have seen slots up to 8lbs but I have read enough to know a DD isn't out of the question on any cast.

To ALL the other "posters" who don't have anything to contribute to the ORIGINAL POST then why they F are you commenting??????? As an angler who is just looking for "info" I don't give any flying "f's" about how high and mighty you may be. And honestly just from reading comments from you on several of Mark's "info" posts if I saw you on the ramp it will be hard to get past the first "impression" I have just from reading all of this.

If ADMIN on this site cares about the "info" then delete ALL the other comments(and mine included) and send all the other BS to the Forum "off topic" where you can talk about how big your "%^&$" is or how much "knowledge" you have and that makes you so so much "better" cus frankly THAT is the Forum for that kind of [censored] and this is the Fishing REPORTS section!!!

3 pages of replies and only the original post is relevant... :-(

Thanks...

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BasscatRonnie
I agree! When it's to their benefit it is ok. Same as some of the guides! They want tournaments shut down, but yet they stick more fish than anyone. I am sure a few of those don't quite get the hook in the proper area, and expire. It always amuses me to see the ones with a hidden agenda start spouting off about how all would be well if just the tournaments were banned. Get a grip people! We all pay the same to fish this great state! Just because you decided to make a risky career out of fishing... Not our problem, get a different career or move to the coast!

I have no hidden agenda.
I do not have to fish another day for pay.
I've never proposed a ban on tournaments.
Since I referenced my history and time on the water, I've been accused of "elevating" myself above other anglers on this forum, and having an "air of arrogance".
This is, and was not my intent.
Maybe I can clarify my agenda.
NATURE is the reason that Fork is in a bit of a struggle, not tournaments, or guides, or live-bait fishermen.
6 years of draught, with little to no vegetation has led to very low fry survival, decreasing numbers of all age classes.
Fish die on this lake, everyday, human caused death, and natural causes.
A healthy lake needs to provide the recruits to replace those that die.
The previous 6 years, due to NATURAL conditions, the recruitment has been very low, but the fish deaths continued at the same,(normal) rate, regardless of the cause.
This year, NATURE provided Lake Fork with a gift.
High water, and flooded vegetation, created a perfect environment for fry to survive.
There are yearling bass everywhere.
My agenda, is to point out this fact, hopefully bringing awareness that if we protect as many of these yearlings, until they reach 16 inches and are protected by TPWD regulations, we have the chance to give the overall population a boost over the next several years.
I know that this is just 1 year class and is not the perfect scenario for a balanced population, but currently it's all we have to go with.
They just need a little protection.
I don't see how anybody can criticize my intentions.
This is not about me, it is simply about my concern for the lake.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:31 PM

I saved a ton of money on my car insurance switching to Geico....
Posted By: CTA

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 12:51 PM

Thanks for the report Mark. Sounds like a fun day.

Way to many people drinking the "fork is dead" koolaid.

In 2014 some dude weighed in 110lbs in a 3 day event. What other lake in the country has anybody been able to do this? Not only do it but to do it consistently?
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:00 PM

Fishing is cool
Posted By: Slade

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:11 PM

I have nothing but respect for the "old timers" for lack of a better term and the guides and people that know the lake so well. I have only been fishing it for the last few years, and I love the lake. I know its not what it once was, and probably never will be, but I love the lake all the same and have caught the biggest fish of my life out there. I know if I have a few days to spend on the water, for me to catch a 5, 6, 7 or 8 # bass is real, because even though I'm not very good, I have had that happen to me quite a bit out there. I don't fish tournaments, so I couldn't care less if they are slot fish or not.

I appreciate your reports Mark, Mark has always been very helpful to me, and loves to engage in the conversation of bass fishing. That's what makes bass fishing great, having conversations about it and trying to learn something new everytime your on a great fishery like Lake Fork
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:36 PM

Wow, all of this from a post about a fun day on Fork!!! I guess I will just keep it to myself what a fun day I had at the State Fair this year. LOL
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 01:43 PM

Great entertainment for the morning restroom visit. Thanks for the report Mark, once this rain stops I look forward to getting back out on fork for a few fun days.
Posted By: Holein MyHook

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:04 PM

Me & my buddy fished the same days as Mark, and did ok. 2 slots, lots of dinks in the backs of coves, with the better fish coming off the timber with plastics & square bills. We kept 6 fish from 13" to 15.5" for the grease, and that's what the rules say is ok.
I only get to fish Fork maybe once a year now that I don't live here in N. Texas anymore.
Thanks Mark for your reports. I can fish vicariously through you with those reports.
Would love to fish with you one day!
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:17 PM

8-10 fish "up to 6 lbs maybe" on most lakes in Texas in a couple of hours fishing is an exceptional day to me. Fork amazes me, just wish I had a chance to get on the grand 'ol lady more often, she is a special lake. Thank you Mark, I appreciate your commentary and common sense.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade
I have nothing but respect for the "old timers" for lack of a better term

Hey! I resemble that remark!! wink

Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Couple of fun days on Fork- 10/21-10/22 - 10/23/15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Nice Mark!

I have no axe to grind with anyone on this forum.
I am simply trying to raise awareness to the current state that Lake Fork is in.
I want others to have a chance to experience what I've been able to.
I have purposely tried to avoid taking a shot at any individual, although I've been accused of doing so.
My only interest, is wanting Lake Fork to be great again, for future generations.

I think most people know the current state it's in. You don't have to know the past to know the present. Fork clearly is not what was, even 5-10 years ago. There are MILLIONS of 6-8" fish in that lake right now, so hopefully a majority of those will grow up. But honestly, until the lake holds a consistent level and the grass comes back, we will not come close to what it was. Just my .02.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum