Texas Fishing Forum

Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy?

Posted By: JoshJones1984

Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:18 PM

for years I've gone cheap on rods and stuck with the less than$50 brand medium heavy rod for my tx rig. Recently, on the advice of a buddy from work, I bought a falcon bucoo medium heavy rod. The thing just doesn't have the same backbone I'm used to. It's not labeled "fast tip" and without the writing on it I can't pick one up and tell the difference.

I'm planning to go back and exchange it for a heavy action and see if that works better, but I'm curious on y'all's thoughts and opinions- do you prefer medium heavy or heavy for pitching a Texas rig? Are certain rod companies known to make a little softer/stiffer rig?

Edit: rod will be used exclusively for Texas rig with 3/16 oz weight. Rarely I might go 5/16 or 1/2 oz.

Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:20 PM

When you say pitching, are you using heavier weights? 1/2ounce and heavier?

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:22 PM

3/16 90% of the time. Occasionally a 5/16 and rarely a 1/2 oz
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:25 PM

A lot rides on backbone, action, length, taper, tip and it varies by rod company and the blank. I use heavy action, fast tip, 7'3"-7'6". I used to use medium heavy, but I found heavy works better for me. Not sure on price point or what you are looking for but I don't go cheap with my rods as I view them as a very important piece of the puzzle. It comes down to preference.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:26 PM

For lighter weights I like the Med/Heavy personally, I just seem to have better feel with them. Again, preference on this one because I think you can be fine going either way
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:27 PM

7'3" Medium-Heavy Power - Fast Action.

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: MagFluker
A lot rides on backbone, action, length, taper, tip and it varies by rod company and the blank. I use heavy action, fast tip, 7'3"-7'6". I used to use medium heavy, but I found heavy works better for me. Not sure on price point or what you are looking for but I don't go cheap with my rods as I view them as a very important piece of the puzzle. It comes down to preference.

$150 price limit
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:32 PM

It depends on the rod. A Powell Max rod in a 4 power is like a 5 power in a Dobyns Champion. Kistlers seem to have a softer tip action than many others. In most cases with what you are throwing I would suggest a M/H action fast or xfast tip, or if the rod has a power rating I would go with a 3 or 4 power.

Look up a Powell Max 683 on ebay. One recently sold for $110. It makes a great worm rod but it is a very versatile rod that can be used for weightless plastics, spinner baits and small cranks.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:35 PM

Couple things for you....

1. With lighter weights a 7ft MH rod should work well for you. Plenty of brands make a "worm" rod...I like the stock Veritas rods. Very nice for the price ($100ish). If you would like a custom rod, let me know.
2. Line size in conjunction with that weight matters. If you are only using that light weight, you don't want to be more than 15lb line.
3. Back bone is more important than "action" (flexibility of the tip) with Texas Rigs and Jigs. If you are just pitching and flipping you should be ok with less action. If you are casting I would recommend more action and lil less backbone.

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:41 PM

I was happy with the feel of the Rod I purchased and the tip but the hook set felt incredibly soft- like scary soft.
Posted By: JSpeckETx

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 07:46 PM

Yes to answer your question about rod manufactures. Some of my rods are quite different even with the same power rating. My opinion is that what rod you are Texas rigging with varies each time you fish a different lake. If you are flipping into grass or heavy cover you will probably want to use heavier line and a more powerful rod. If you are fishing clearer water with lighter line where a fish won't get you in a bind quick than go with Med/Heavy
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 08:00 PM

7'1" med. heavy extra fast Daiwa Tatula is my go to rod for the technique you are talking about up to 3/8 oz. I will use the same rod in 7'2' heavy fast for applications with heavier weights and jigs, Carolina rig. I have another Tatula that is 7' med. heavy regular action I was sent by mistake. I have used it for weightless and some light t-rig too and it gets the job done. It does feel different than the others with the softer tip but I really like it.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 09:14 PM

Get the Falcon Bucoo Lizard Dragger. It's 7' Heavy action and perfect for a Texas rig. Especially if you keep it in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 09:15 PM

Josh, I've had the same problems with ducketts. Ducketts are great rods but a lot softer so I go up a power. Also for 10" worms a use a heavy all the time.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/22/15 11:48 PM

I also fish almost exclusively with 3/16 weights. If you think it's too light then it is. Go with the heavy. Some rod ratings may be a little off or not what you expect. I use a Shimano Crucial that I love. I bought a Duckett Terex - same length and a MH. A big difference in the tip and stiffness of the rod. The Terex was much softer.
I don't like the Terex for T-Rig but I love it for spinner baits.
Go with what feels right to you and you can still cast the bait accurately and with little effort.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/23/15 01:35 AM

Get a Powell 683 and you will be happy with it.

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/23/15 01:56 AM

Took it back and exchanged it for a 7' heavy- turns out they went on sale overnight and I got $50 bucks cash back. Turned out to be a good deal smile

Thanks for the input fellas
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Tx rig rod- heavy or medium heavy? - 10/23/15 11:35 AM

I just bought a 6' 6" Falcon Bucco MH for my lighter weighted Tx-R baits. I think it is great.
For deeper action with 3/8oz rigging a go with the Abu Garcia 7ft Heavy Veritas. This is what I used at Falcon on those big mean Mexico Bass. For deeper water with heavy weighted line and action it is a good option.
For non-weighted flukes and senkos I use a St Croix Premier 6'6" MH fast.

Just use what feels right for you and what you are doing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum