Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing tactics for bad weather

Posted By: CCTX

Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 04:12 PM

We haven't had a good rain for months--mostly three months of sunshine, and no significant cold snap since that freakish two days of 70s in July.

Supposed to get a lot of clouds and rain Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with a slight cool down; but the real cooling down doesn't start until next week.

My guess is the bait will go shallower to shallow cover with rising water levels and more stain to the water with bass following. Maybe some of the bigger bass seeking deep cover.

Do you think the rain will briefly shut down a topwater bite? Sometimes the clearer gaps in a rain storm, the topwater bite can be great.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 04:16 PM

Weightless or split shot fluke for me in timber coves or creeks.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 06:03 PM

Black Lunker lure,Black Yellow magic
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 08:52 PM

Not going to lie, its all about the recliner, refrigerator, and college football for me in that weather!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
Not going to lie, its all about the recliner, refrigerator, and college football for me in that weather!

whip

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/20/15 10:00 PM

Thanks Rudy, I've also had good success with a black topwaters in a downpour.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 12:46 AM

Buzzbait, spinnerbait, and lipless crank are my favorites in the rain
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 01:04 AM

If the top water bite is not there, why force it? The weather coming up should improve the overall bite I would think.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 01:26 AM

We all have been caught in an upper level disturbance while fishing. Most fishermen will either stay home or get off the water because it is going to be a miserable day and the bite seems to just shut down. Actually the exact opposite is happening. The huge Bass are not on a feeding pattern. They are grouping together and being just absolutely aggressive. My bait is one that I spent years tweaking so it will catch the big Bass that are so active during inclement weather. For years I could not fish any bait that the big Bass would literally kill under stormy conditions. I have finely got it right and it is my best go to bait in the box for bad weather. I call it my Halloween Spinner Bait because it holds all those colors with the orange diamond dusted Indiana blade and Halloween colored living rubber skirt. The worse the weather the better.
During upper level disturbances like:
Lighting
Thunder
Fog and Thunder
Sleet and Snow

I spent weeks looking for the best spots on my home lakes that would hold these big bass during stormy conditions. I would have at least 3 to run to on each lake. One spot on the North end, one at mid. lake and one on the South end. These are in the back of creeks so I have some protection, with the heaviest cover they could offer. A sharp bend in the creek so the big fish can congregate on that point which they will do in really bad weather will be your best producer. Look for stumps, lay downs and grass on these small points. After you have this experience of catching a huge stringer in such a spot during inclement weather, you will always be on the look out for new ones.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 01:46 AM

I knew the pitch about the Halloween spinner bait was coming
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 01:49 AM

Chatterbait works well in rainy conditions
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
I knew the pitch about the Halloween spinner bait was coming

I know it Jake. I just can't help myself. Although, don't think this weekend with just rain will do it. It has to be really bad. The biggest stringer of my life has come on it.

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 02:00 AM

Thanks for the replies; will definitely help this weekend.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 06:21 PM

Posted By: slim 285

Re: Fishing tactics for bad weather - 10/21/15 06:55 PM

Best thing do is just don't let it get into your head. Just go fishing. 2cents
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum